My n/a has a high idle, starts at 1200 rpm when cold then rises to 1500 rpm after warm up phase, it has a Corolla inlet, so far I’ve changed throttle body gasket, checked and cleaned all the earths, cleaned idle air valve and throttle housing out, it runs standard air box with blitz panel filter. Anybody any ideas ? Changing the icv was my next step 😔

Hello spray brake cleaner around the outside of the intake and inlet manifold to see if it affects rpm to find a leak. Have the engine running. 

Also do a blink code dtc read out on the ems to help pin point the fault. 

Edited by Sam44

Ok so I’ve checked for air leaks to no joy, it idled high before I changed the inlet from factory to Corolla and can’t see a split in any of the vac pipes😔 I’ve changed the TPS and it’s made no difference at all so was thinking the sensor on the drivers side  bulk head that has a vac pipe going to the inlet(not sure what it is) top left behind the strut brace, I’m running out of ideas !EAFF1EC3-5015-456B-BA31-ECDF764A756B.thumb.jpeg.babcb49f3a8d934499c626518370cb76.jpeg

• 3 months later...

I think most of the possibilities have been covered above, check for leaks, make sure all the electrical connectors are plugged in.

The idle control valve setting and throttle stop screw are set at the factory and should not need adjusting.

Is the throttle cable too tight / sticking? if you unhook it from the throttle body does the idle change? 

If you unplug the idle control valve connector when the engine is warm does the idle change?

6 hours ago, Claymore said:

I think most of the possibilities have been covered above, check for leaks, make sure all the electrical connectors are plugged in.

The idle control valve setting and throttle stop screw are set at the factory and should not need adjusting.

Is the throttle cable too tight / sticking? if you unhook it from the throttle body does the idle change? 

If you unplug the idle control valve connector when the engine is warm does the idle change?

The throttle cable has a small amount of slack. It does stick a little after its been sat. I can feel it break free

When I unplug the icv connector the idle drops to about 1100, plug it in and it pops up to 1500

That's weird? when I unplug my icv connector when warmed up it raises the idle! As far as I know the valve defaults to an open position which raises idle rather than oscillating the valve.

Is it the icv from the new replacement engine? maybe its stuck and not adjusting with the coolant heat. Do you have the old icv from the original engine you could try?

It sounds like it could be the throttle stop setup. This is the Allen keyed adjusting screw on the throttle arm at rest position. Did you say it's a different throttle body. Also there is the intake air temp sensor and coolant temp sensor these adjust fueling if 1 is faulty if will fuel more but because of the large veriation of the sensors readout the ECU does not see a fault.  

Is the throttle body mucky in side. Would you be interested in setting up the tps and throttle butterfly. You will need a multimeter we can compare readings from the air temp sensor& coolant temp sensor engine cold. What year is yours I've got 2x Different idle control valves here Infront of me on 2x Toyota e series engines. 

I think 1 is off the 5e paseo but I was told the paseo has a 4 pin tps but these are 3pin 

With 2x different idle control valve setups.

Edited by Sam44

98, i dont have a multi meter sorry.

My tps (black) and icv(grey) plugs are 3 pin.

I have the stuff from og engine, but its a my mechs garage. Need to get it tomorrow possibly.  

I take it the plastic plug in the air box is the air temp sensor

Yep 

Here's the throttles I have off the 4e engine

The top 1 smaller butterfly is off the ep80 gi and COROLLA 1st gen used with the 4efte inlet manifold. 

More pictures to come I'll strip them down. 

1597442467709518492668.jpg

15974427934421800019553.jpg

The 1st gen has an idle adjustment screw on the top right side like on the turbo throttle.

15974429393531547161946.jpg

The 2 different idle control valves on the starlet. 

1597443147282879619323.jpg

Both idle valves are seized solid in the alloy housing.

The right 1 has been modified by someone you can see the steel putty coming out of the idle valve inlet. They must have adjusted the throttle arm stop screw to correct idle rpm. 

1597444109442227793590.jpg

Steel putty blocking the inlet port. 

1597444356137945243760.jpg

Idle control gate/arm seized and will not turn on both the throttle bodies. Might be a common issuse. 

1597444517232206997725.jpg

This is for the idle arm return spring adjustment. Only found on 1 of the throttle bodies. 

15974446691442042484905.jpg

Yep you can see the difference In the stop screw length. 

I would have sooner put a drill hole threw the butterfly to correct idle, this is because the ECM uses the throttle position to calculate engine load on an na engine. 

1597444922470755563533.jpg

Standard tps idle position 449ohms 

1597445300382414665910.jpg

Full throttle reading is 2800ohms.

Edited by Sam44

Nice work Sam. I have the one without adjuster screw. Just been over the garage and swapped the throttle bodies. Idle back to normal and the sticky accelerator pedal seems to have gone too. Seems smoother through the rev range as well 😁