MR2 mk2 twin pot convertion.

I've been told about a very interesting front brake upgrade. 

Using ae 1991 to 2000 corrola pad carriers & pads (yet to be confirmed) , MR2 mk2 rear EDITED: MR2 mk2 front twin pot, singal acting (sliding) calipers and MR2 MK1 rear disks (yet to be confirmed) EDITED: Corsa c gsi 260mm brake discs fit using center spigot rings from custom spigot rings see dutchies post for ID sizes. 

I'm getting the parts together this month then fitting next. Because the caliper wheel cylinders will have a bigger combined volume I'll be using a mitsubishi carisma larger master cylinder.  

Picture bellow off a MK3 GT turbo using this setup. 

11864731_10153576001593908_4668043508327774393_o.jpg

Edited by Sam44

Yeh sorry front calipers. There's somthings I've been sent about switching sides so it must be using the right for the MR2 on the left starlet side. Could it be the position on the MR2 hub radial or axial mounted??.  

I was thinking the rears of the MR2 might be the units he was referring to with it being a mid mounted engine at first. 

I'm waiting on a reply from the lad. 

These are definitely the front MR2 mk2 calipers but to me look inverted on the 1st picture on the GT turbo bleed nipple pointing up. 

R marked on the caliper for right o/s and L for n/s. 

s-l300.jpg

Edited by Sam44

It is more common to swap the calipers with ae111 brz twin pots instead and use vauxhaul corsa gsi 260mm brake discs(these do need center rings to convert from 60mm to 55mm(Was thinking about a steel pipe 55mm ID and 60mm OD to make rings off)). MR2 brake caliper mounting holes also do not line up with the starlet hubs(to my knowledge).

For pads the ae111 calipers use mr2 (04465-12160) pads

Few pics(red is mr2 caliper and the iron one is from the ae111).

20160905_190331_zpsahfrf3zz.jpg20160905_190234_zpsfbftixjv.jpg

Edited by RoyalDutchie
inner dia of center rings should be 55 not 56

Cheers dutchie. 

Yeh the lad has put that the carriers off the ae101 corolla 1991 to 2000 are needed and a ever so slight modification to the caliper, a slight grind on the casting. 

There is mention of Corsa c gsi brake discs with spigot rings or MR2 MK1 no rings required. 

I've had a look for bzr calipers with no luck. So I was hoping to find a more common caliper and pad arrangment. 

Thanks for the side by side comparison picture the calipers look near identical. 

In the first picture of the GT turbo arrangment you can see the difference in the pad carrier alot more heavy duty. The only 1s I can find that even look close are the 2002 corrola t sport. The ae101 don't even look close. 

Can you see any difference in brake pipe position or carrier mount arrangement to as why he would need to run the left of the MR2 on the right of the starlet and fitment to the ae111 pad carrier.

Edited by Sam44

The mr2 discs would be a great fit for the levin setup, but due to the overal thickness of the disc they require spacers withe them levin setup. edmania on adverts(.)ie has a few sets of levin twin pots laying about ranging from about 100 euros to 200 depending on the overal condition(there is some wigle room, got mine for 90 euros). You can find his ad by searching for "levin ae111 bzg 4age 96 for parts".

Can't say anything about the difference in brake pipe position,  my knowledge does not go beyond the Levin setup.

Edited by RoyalDutchie

Cheers thanks for this information, and your help on this subject. 

Picture below is were the grind is needed (modification) on the MR2 caliper to clear the corrola pad carriers. 

You can see how minor a grind is required.

caliper.jpg

These are 2002 corrola 1.8 t sport pad carriers picture below that look the closest to the top GT brake arrangment.

hqdefault.jpg

Parts are ordered and I'll see how it all fits together soon. 

Edited by Sam44

Another hard caliper to find it seems mate. I found 1x left front single pot 

I've ordered left and right front MR2 mk2 rev2 to rev5 calipers, corolla 1991 to 2000 brake pad carriers + mintex pads Corsa C gsi brake discs. The 2x center spigot rings will be ordered from custom spigot rings online as soon as I get measurements. This is the list the lad has sent me. 

2 sets lying in the shed Sam lol, 1 set fully rebuilt ready to fit.

Will be good to actually finally nail down what works, I tried to decipher the information on here but my brain started to hurt reading it 😫

Spot on lads. Do all the discs mentioned here require spacers or spigot rings. And do you have year of vehicles and models plz if possible. Thanks. 

I've also been told early MK1 avensice twin pots and single pots fit the corrola 1991 to 2000 brake carriers. On the mentioned discs. 

Edited by Sam44
On 8/6/2020 at 7:48 AM, SKINY said:

2 sets lying in the shed Sam lol, 1 set fully rebuilt ready to fit.

Will be good to actually finally nail down what works, I tried to decipher the information on here but my brain started to hurt reading it 😫

Lol yep sorry I'll clean it up as soon as they are bolted together. 

The lad ho has them didn't do the mod originally and is asking 2 other people about it SO I'm getting lots of  different messages. 

I think now I've ordered wrong discs. 

What I used was

Toyota levin twin pot calipers 

Toyota corolla e11 carriers 

Toyota mr2/yaris discs

The way I did it I had to use a bench grinder on the sides of the caliper to make fit to the Toyota corolla carrier ALOT OFF WORK but well worth it and Yes it is safe. 

I will get a photo off them fitted when the wheels are off again. 

IMG_20200328_165833.thumb.jpg.ca2f7c0356fee40ecb34408cd207acce.jpgIMG_20200328_165833.jpg

IMG_20200304_231032.jpg

IMG_20200315_172133.jpg

IMG_20200315_172117.jpg

Screenshot_20200808_091822_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Edited by glanzadude

I personally wouldn't grind in a complete levin set(they are pretty uncommon these days). Just get some cheap 260mm vauxhall gsi discs and make a spigot ring once.  With the vauxhall option you also get an extra 5mm of disc width and 4mm of thickness(same as the levin discs to my knowledge when it comes to width and thickness of the discs).

1 hour ago, RoyalDutchie said:

I personally wouldn't grind in a complete levin set(they are pretty uncommon these days). Just get some cheap 260mm vauxhall gsi discs and make a spigot ring once.  With the vauxhall option you also get an extra 5mm of disc width and 4mm of thickness(same as the levin discs to my knowledge when it comes to width and thickness of the discs).

Thanks 

The caliper piston travel I'm getting needs the thicker discs I recon. I'm worried about the piston travel at max pad wear. The discs I ordered do not fit they were 5 stud Corsa D discs, But the MR2 front calipers fit to the corrola pad carriers with a slight grind/mod (this can be seen in 2nd pic on this topic). I've ordered some spigot rings also from custom spigot rings on the internet. 

I'll put up the full mod when I get the discs and spigot rings. 

Thanks guys the MR2 calipers are common and can be still bought new/reconed or 2nd hand. So can the corrola pad carriers. 

I'm also looking into the master cylinder travel for the larger volume calipers this will affect the starlet brake front to rear conpensater. Some Mitsubishi models have a larger master cylinder that will fit the starlet. Reducing the travel.

Edited by Sam44

I'll order a set now thanks dutchie

I've been told on the corolla owners forum that some early 1998+ avensice brakes fit the corrolla calipers also both twin and single pots I'm getting full info soon, there's something about getting custom brake lines made thw.

Edited by Sam44