Glanza V Blown Turbo

Hello from the bottom of the world! 

I have recently purchased a 97 Glanza V with 160xxxkms with a blown turbo for half the price of a normal one. The turbo makes a whining noise like a blown turbo should, and the owner was still running the car. He said the journal bearing gave out, so bits of the blade and metal flakes shouldn't have entered the engine. Right? This will be the first turbo vehicle that I have owned so my knowledge is quite limited! 

So, the question is, how bad would driving the car home be? The speed limit on the roads I'm taking do not exceed 50km/h. So is it fine to drive the car 20kms while keeping the speed under 50km/h?

After I get it home, what would the next step be? Should I be cheap and buy a second hand turbo for $150 NZD then save up for a hybrid CT9 or start with a reconditioned one for $500 NZD?

Thanks in advance. 

Welton

I'd honestly not drive it, just to safe. Tow it home one evening :) You don't really know if the bearing could have enough shaft play for a blade to get munched.. then it's fun times on Facebook trying to find another 4EFTE.

Once you're home, pull the turbo off and take a look. I'd probably find a second hander

Hello from Chch too! Look out for my silver beater 😛

Edited by Timmah
11 minutes ago, Timmah said:

I'd honestly not drive it, just to safe. Tow it home one evening :) You don't really know if the bearing could have enough shaft play for a blade to get munched.. then it's fun times on Facebook trying to find another 4EFTE.

Once you're home, pull the turbo off and take a look. I'd probably find a second hander

Hello from Chch too! Look out for my silver beater 😛

I might have seen your Starlet! Do you keep it in Linwood? 

Do you think it would be safer to take the charged pipe off so the air doesn’t go through the turbo? But this would mean running the car without an air filter in Christchurch which could be just as bad if not worse. 

1 hour ago, Welton02 said:

I might have seen your Starlet! Do you keep it in Linwood? 

Do you think it would be safer to take the charged pipe off so the air doesn’t go through the turbo? But this would mean running the car without an air filter in Christchurch which could be just as bad if not worse. 

I drive through Linwood everyday :)

You'll still have the exhaust spinning the turbo, so there's no real way of bypassing it. Do you have to travel far? I'd hate to say to nana it home and then it turns pear shape

Aha, I saw a silver Glanza V parked on Chelsea Street with a sticker on the windscreen like the one in your profile pic! 

Yes, the exhaust will still be spinning the turbo but if the compressor side isn’t connected to the engine than no broken bits should be going into the engine causing further damage theoretically. 

I’m only driving it from Bishopdale to Burwood then it’ll be parked there until I source a turbo for it. What do you mean it turns pear shape? 

21 hours ago, Welton02 said:

Aha, I saw a silver Glanza V parked on Chelsea Street with a sticker on the windscreen like the one in your profile pic! 

Yes, the exhaust will still be spinning the turbo but if the compressor side isn’t connected to the engine than no broken bits should be going into the engine causing further damage theoretically. 

I’m only driving it from Bishopdale to Burwood then it’ll be parked there until I source a turbo for it. What do you mean it turns pear shape? 

Ah nah the Starlet in my profile pic isn't mine :( Mine is silver, with a giant gash on the drivers side, with silver/grey rims

Fair point in regards to the compressor side.. Bishopdale to Burwood isn't far, I''m sure it will be fine

Edited by Timmah
On 11/10/2020 at 6:32 PM, Timmah said:

Ah nah the Starlet in my profile pic isn't mine :( Mine is silver, with a giant gash on the drivers side, with silver/grey rims

Fair point in regards to the compressor side.. Bishopdale to Burwood isn't far, I''m sure it will be fine

Hmm I don’t think I have seen your Starlet then. Do you know if there are specific torque specs for when I bolt the new turbo back onto the manifold? How much should I torque the bolts on the manifold/ catalytic? 

On 11/12/2020 at 7:01 PM, Welton02 said:

Hmm I don’t think I have seen your Starlet then. Do you know if there are specific torque specs for when I bolt the new turbo back onto the manifold? How much should I torque the bolts on the manifold/ catalytic? 

Sorry man, I have no idea :( I'm not really mechanically knowledgeable. Someone else here will know!

Sing out when you get your Glanza running and want to meet up :) Or if you ever need a hand with anything.

• 1 month later...
On 11/17/2020 at 6:57 PM, Timmah said:

Sorry man, I have no idea :( I'm not really mechanically knowledgeable. Someone else here will know!

Sing out when you get your Glanza running and want to meet up :) Or if you ever need a hand with anything.

Merry Christmas! (ish) 

I still having gotten it running. I’m currently stuck with unbolting the turbo from the manifold. Have you done this before? I have trouble undoing the two nuts on the engine side. I use a regular 14mm spanner and I’m not strong enough to undo it 😂. I couldn’t find a pipe to fit the spanner for more torque. Have you got any suggestions or ideas? 

Edited by Welton02
52 minutes ago, Welton02 said:

Merry Christmas! (ish) 

I still having gotten it running. I’m currently stuck with unbolting the turbo from the manifold. Have you done this before? I have trouble undoing the two nuts on the engine side. I use a regular 14mm spanner and I’m not strong enough to undo it 😂. I couldn’t find a pipe to fit the spanner for more torque. Have you got any suggestions or ideas? 

Hi Welton, I found it easier to remove the manifold and turbo together and separate them off the car. You might just want some offset ring spanners to remove the manifold to head nuts. Also you will probably need to remove the radiator for more room to work:thumbsup:

4 hours ago, JamesG said:

Hi Welton, I found it easier to remove the manifold and turbo together and separate them off the car. You might just want some offset ring spanners to remove the manifold to head nuts. Also you will probably need to remove the radiator for more room to work:thumbsup:

Agreed, don't forget to soak the nuts in wd40 overnight. It helped when I had to separate the mani and ct9 I got (which arrived as one 😉).

As I'm sure you know breaking a stud would be bad news, not fun welding nuts on stuff or trying to drill out hardened steel in soft cast iron.