How thick are the cylinder walls in your block?

Hey there guys & girls, a friend of mine and a member of the Aussie starlet forum, decided to have there 5E-FE block resized to a 75mm bore, to accommodate for the Ross Racing pistons he had just got. So off we went to my uncles machine shop, and dropped the block off to have it bored... 3 hour's later my fried received a call from my uncle saying that if he bored it 75mm than the cylinder walls would be too thin, and he would probably end up popping the block. My uncle suggested to have the block sleeved with grey iron sleeves and doing this the cylinder walls would be allot stronger. So my uncle gave my friend a good price for sleeving, and my friend went ahead with it. So we decided to stick around and watch how it was done. Off he went cutting the bore down. As he reached the water journals between the cylinders

DSC00082.jpg

Courtesy of dub 7

He stopped and told us to have a look at the wall thickness :p .... :p:p 75 thousandths of an inch a little under 2mm... 2 flipping millimetres what the... we where all amazed just imagine if we had just bored it and put it together.

So we thought well this cannot be right so we cracked out a 4E-FTE block at my fiends house and started to cut it up with an angle grinder.... Hello 85 thou, just over 2mm with a standard bore. so if you bore it out to 75mm to accommodate for those JE or Ross'es your left with a stingy 40-45 thou.

so guys and girls anny comments :D , hope so.

Cheers Cain D.

74.5 is the minimum you can go for a rebore.

basically, only bore it out if you need to.

cheers rick so if 74.5 is the minimum for a rebore what size are the internals standard (incase i dont need to get a rebore) what size are the standard pistons so i can order the right size of forges.

• 2 months later...

These are far from the thinnest cylinder walls' out there. And the block is iron so you've got less of a worry.

I've not heard of a cracked liner, in a starlet, however i seem to be good at testing there strength. I've cracked 1 in a subaru. A Civic, might be my turn to do it on the Starlet now!