rx-7 intercooler upgrade??

i heard about the rx-7 intercooler, apparently they fit real easy... so i got one and i think it must be the wrong one cuz it doesnt fit at all! its of a 3rd gen FD3S does that mean anything to anyone?

There's no nasty looking fog-light cut into or hanging off the bumper. My guess is it's been put in the cluster? What side is the foglight usually on a UK?

It would look good with clear indicators!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hi mate. good to see you on here.

heres the topic when streetracer fitted his...

http://www.ukstarletclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=902

heres a diy of the fitting of one on a gt courtesy of the sister site

http://www.austarletclub.com/forums/index....l=rx7+top+mount

hopefully someone will be along soon to advise you on which one you need.

hope that helps. ;)

Rich.

these dont sit perfectly, as they dont allow good airflow through the vent, due to the size and because obviously they werent designed for the starlet....

.....unlike the ARC TMIC's which fit perfectly in standard location, so standard pipework, and allow MAXIMUM air to flow over them through the vent, they couldnt be positioned better really, its the real next best thing to a FMIC....

just my 2p.

got a bargain lucky find on ebay, was in perfect condition too, including all mounting parts, and blue rear connecting hose.

but ye, these are considerably better than the RX7 ones, they're smaller, but they're so much better positioned its unreal.

£180 delivered if i remember correctly, which considering they still sell for over £700 brand new, aint too bad!

especially considering it was in very good condition.

i'd guess so mate, these ARC ones are good for quite a few more psi than stock, im guessing up to where the ct9 will run out of puff, around 15psi or so, in which case a fmic etc would be the best bet.

it is larger but its just the positioning of the rx7 one mate, as it wasnt designed for it they dont sit central or even in a position to allow alot of airflow over them so they arent perfect for the job, but they do fit on and are obviously larger, so maybe try getting some extra cooling to it using some ducting or something may be a good idea....

and ye, it was a bit of a bargain, plus its really rare and i love rare stuff.

got an ARC bov on way from japan including direct fitting 4e-fte fitting kit to replace the original bov in exact position using all pipework, which is also rare as rocking horse poo, and should match the intercooler nicely.

me too mate, apprenticeships are bullcrap for wages, but well, least i know i'll take a jump to a bloody huge salary when im qualified, its just a bitch having to wait in the meantime, working as a bloody slave basically....

aaanyway, ye the arc bov's are very rare. i was told by uk companies that sell them new that they're all universal and there isnt a japanese fitting kit, but one popped up on the jap auctions which included a starlet fitting kit, so i had to have it. They're £260 from uk online store just for the bov, as a universal item, comparing it to HKS SSQV's which sell for like £250 including a fitting kit, meaning they're bloody expensive! but as i love rare stuff, i didnt mind paying a bit of a premium, although it aint too bad in price and it'll be rare and of very good ARC quality, it'll match the intercooler nicely.

those rx7 coolers dont sell for very much at all, so as you said it may be good for a budget item. actually one of those arc intercoolers sold on tgtt the other week, someone took it off their new import, it had been painted black and wasnt in the best of condition, but i think it went for less than £100 in the end, around £70 or so. i wouldnt have bought it because mine was in mint condition in comparison, and hadn't been painted obviously, but for a budget item it was a good upgrade on stock for the price.

You could always toy with the idea of putting a small (equal size to the core) electric fan on top of the IC. Me and my mates have had discussions about the possible flow restrictions over the IC core when moving, but don't reckon they'll be too bad (especially with what you're saying about the RX7 IC not being in the perfect position ecksjay)

There's a guy running a ST185 GT4 in barbados with over 400BHP and still the OEM TMIC with a spaal electric fan on top. (400+ with a top mount is damn good for a ST185)

hmmmm yeah i can see what you mean, but i do not really thinkg how that'd help apart from when travelling at low speeds, because the airflow travelling over it when moving quickly would be enough to either stress the fan, or cause it to just be ineffective, as it could be fighting against the natural flow of air.

its like, say, having your computer fan then sticking a vacuum cleaner nozzle up to it, its enough to slow it down or even stop it, which will obviously put alot of stress on it, and at the end of the day, when you want cold air on your intercooler, do yuo want a bloody great lump of plastic/metal in the form of a fan in front of it?

it may work in very hot climates such as barbados, but i expect that 400bhp was gained on rollers, meaning the fan was doing its job a treat, but may not do the same job on the road when travelling at speed.....

just my 2p, thats how it seems from my perspective.

No I totally understand where you're coming from - And it's my side of the argument usually too. But always worth a try if the flow isn't going over the core anyway.

A 10" spal fan will flow 1070cfm - There's probably a way I could work out the flow over the IC through the scoop (but I can't be bothered, it's the weekend!)

ye i know where you're coming from, and if the rx7 cooler sat that much out of the way, allowing enough space for a fan, then it may be worth it, but i'd probably be dubious as to how much space there is to play with under the bonnet with that massive bloody thing there.... :lol: hahaha

the arc isn't actually that big, in fact its very small, but its alot thicker than the stock one, and is obviously CONSIDERABLY more efficient, especially where its situated.

i should get some pics soon...

im sooo gonna have to get a arc cooler when i get the glanza.

i was gonna go with a jaguar intercooler front mounted until i could afford the greddy one but the arc one sounds great.

Rich.

if you can find one mate they're wicked, look good.

they're the only one designed to fit directly to replace the tmic, so ye, for the time being its a good bet....

i would like to go for a fmic eventually, but i wasn't really planning on going too crazy with the mods....

i'll get the bov, suspension and preferably a JAM/SARD ecu, then see how it goes, will prob just up boost a little then stick with that, as the arc ecu is ideal for the self learning ecu's.

plus it looks sexual through the vent :lol:

so ye mate, if you can find one, they're good, but they are stupid rare, and if the person who's selling it knows what its worth, it aint gonna go cheap...

i got quite lucky with mine. :lol: