New to the world of the Glanza

Hi all, i have registered on here as i have just got my girlfriend a Glanza, and having owned a few imports im my time (GTi-R's and Integra type R's) realise that the owners forums have all the information i could ever need about the cars they cover.

I haven't got a pic to put up of my girlfriend's new car, but i can give a brief description and add a pic later....

It's a facelift model in really nice condition, in the light met. blue colour with TRD kit, some nice polished Work Emotion wheels (15's) and Slammed to the deck on some TRD coilovers which also have adjustable damping (not sure how many types there are, might all have adjustable damping) Other sweet mods include a full roll cage, a Miracle cross brace in the rear, Apexi Power FC, Blitz front mount intercooler, Unknown aftermarket LSD, TRD airbag steering wheel, 5Zeigen exhaust, some sort of oil cooler and remote filter setup, turbo timer, dump valve etc and probably a few other bit's

anyway, i know it's probably all already been covered, i have had a quick search but i do have a couple of quick questions

Where is the best place to get the power FC tweaked? it runs spot on but the boost is only set to 0.6 bar (am i right in thinking 0.65 is standard) and i would like to have this increased as far as possible for the odd time when i am driving it.

How much boost is safe with a power FC/FMIC? what else would i need to check for and buy ie injectors, fuel pump etc?

I noticed the car seems to have a 2.5 inch (poss 2.38 not 100% sure) exhaust system, but still has the cat on, am i right in thinking the cat will be hurting the perfomance quite a bit?

I have posted a LSD/gearbox oil question in the technical forum if any experts wouldn't mind taking a look :unsure:

are T28 turbo's any good on Glanza's, i have a virtually new roller bearing one off my gtir sat in my garage and was wondering if the Glanza might apreciate it along with some sort of nice manifold?

anyway, cheers for reading, and if anyone needs to know anything about integra's/civic's just giz a shout. Nice one, Ben

Tasty sounding Glanza :unsure:

Im after some Work Emotions but in 16s so get some pics up so I can see them on a Glanza :D

Oh and the miracle brace....damn your sooo lucky!!!

Hope you get the diff problem sorted :D

Enjoy your stay :p

Cheers for all the comments, the swift is my girlfriends old car, she doesn't really need it any more....but she needs, the wheels, exhaust, manifold, and a few other bits and bobs because her 'other' car is a 51 reg swift, but is a complete mk2 phase 1 replica in silver (90% finished) and she needs a lot of the bits for that, will be a 2001 car but look like the nice old 1988-1991 gti. she's probably not really that bothered about the swifts any more, but once the 51 reg one is done, if she doesn't want it and would rather keep the Glanza (which i'm pretty sure she will) I'm gonna take the swift off her and put a VTEC motor in it.

will get some more pics of the rims at the weekend when i'm home mate.....It's funny, when we bought the car i didn't even really like the wheels that much.....i thought the importer had banged some bling chrome rota's or something (i don't have anything against rota's, i think they're a great brand at a great price) on it to make it sell better. when we got home i was thinking i couldn't really remember any rota's that looked like that, and when i went out and checked that was the first time i saw the Work logo. i cant beleive i didn't realise before cause i was wanting some for my integra....i just hadn't seen the polished ones before and was looking at 16 inch ones......Now i absolutely love the wheels and wouldn't change them for anything else i dont think.

yeah it's a TRD wheel mate, you can take it for 5 billion if you like :angry:

Don't really like it that much to be honest, not into the red parts on it, was gonna try to dye the red bits of leather black. i would have changed it for a momo one i have in my garage but since it's my girlfriends car i don't want her to be without the airbag.

how much is it worth then? i don't want to go ruining it if it's a rare expensive item by dying it.....nearly already did it at the weekend :(

What colour are the Works then chrome are they? Cant really tell from the pics, I want the Gunmetal ones in 16s so bad :angry:

Damn you really got a good one with all the TRD bits Works and Miracle brace, I envy you :(

• 2 weeks later...

good few parts there yeah. A t28 would work, however the accompanying parts would run you up quite a bill, as it'll all need to be custom work. But yeah, it would work, if a tad laggy.

Regarding the cat, there's plenty of info on here if you use the search function, if not then post a thread and we'll do our best to help.

Would be a waste not to fettle it anyway considering it has a PFC, may aswell see what you can get out of her at least.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah the works are chrome...it's like a dark chrome though, i forget the correct name for the finish.

with regards to the T28, obviously it will be a lot laggier on a 1.3 than a 2.0, but i think the roller bearing will help, it used to hit full boost at very low RPM in the sunny, anyway i was thinking of seeing what i can do.

i already have the T28, still mounted to a GTiR standard cast manifold which i was thinking i could nick the flange off, buy a cheap Glanza Tubular manifold (seen some on ebay for £160.....haven't reasearched manifolds at all yet though so might end up spending more or less than that after i've done a bit of research) i also have the remains of a HKS downpipe with the flange on for the exhaust side of the turbo which i could easily enough get mated up to the existing exhaust system. I have a walbro 255 fuel pump off my gtir aswell, and some 660 injectors although i have no idea if i could get them to work so i may have to splash out on some injectors (can just keep the boost down until i sorted that out) would obviously need some sort of oil feed for the turbo which shouldn't be too much of a problem since there will already be one for the old turbo.

already have FMIC, PFC which helps a lot......i was thinking i could probably do it pretty cheap, and if i spent 700-1k doing it i could get some pretty good results.

please let me know what i have forgot about, i can do a lot of the fab work myself, and anything i cant do myself i can get done for free/cheap probably.

cheers, Ben

you wont need the fuel pump, and 660cc injectors are far too large for a t28, at the end of the day, it is only a 1.3. A stock 2jz pump is ample for even a heavily modified starlet, but yeah on the injectors you'll prob wanna go to something in the 400 range at the MOST, perhaps even 300's.

Also, thats not a trd kit on it, its the optional front splitter on a 98/99 model bumper, the rear bumper is stock (for 96-99 models). its not TRD anyways as i said, just optional factory parts :(

yeah i realised that about the 'kit' not long after posting and just hoped nobody would notice......dunno why i thought it was and i can't even actually remember writing it but have noticed it since then :(

so anything else i'm forgetting when it comes to the T28 conversion?

what sort of hp do you think it would be capable of on standard internals, and at what boost level?

would i be a LOT better off buying a turbo/manifold combo that is designed and has been proven to work on a starlet.

i am more of an oversized turbo, laggy, less heat, boost at higher rpm type of person anyway.....i prefer to wait for my boost as long as what i am waiting for is worth waiting for when it comes if you know what i mean.

i don't really know what to do to be honest, i just feel the powerfc is wasted and the other mods without taking full (more) advantage of them....i think i'd like about 220-240 bhp really, maybe a bit more?

at the moment it does feel pretty quick(0.9 bar), but once the boost has settled out it just seems to be the same all the way to the redline, i know i'm used to my honda's etc, but even the GtiR used to seem to pull harder at higher revs, or even my old swift gti which is the only other 1.3 i've driven.

maybe i should just fit a decat and keep my hands off it.....let my gf enjoy it since it is hers....it's just when we both go out we always seem to take the glanza....and i always end up driving.

you're along the right lines there mate, if its your birds car, and it drives nice as it is, then keep kit that way and make sure it runs sweet. soon as you start messing with it (especially custom turbo jobbies) then you will end up with more than you bargained for, many people have experienced that with other things going wrong unexpectedly :(

you know what you should do anyways otherwise you wouldnt have mentioned it.

at the end of the day, the great thing about starlets is their response, thats why they can be rather nippy. if you lose that with a big laggy turbo, then it sort of spoils the whole essence of them. thats the one thing i love about them, without that then there are many other better alternatives out there.

on the stock internals then you're prob looking at 250bhp max, with alot of goodies elsewhere controlling things so it all works as it should without damaging it, but thats the very limit. 200bhp would be a safe bet if you want to make sure there are no other problems, however you will spend quite a bit getting the t28 on there using all custom gubbins, and after that you will either fine it takes too long to spool, or its not going to make the power you want without getting it forged etc as the t28 is far larger than a ct9 (i have an s14 so know the difference).

tbh mate its a case of whether or not you go balls out or keep it as is. you have the pfc so can do whatever althought you may want to hold out to find a bolt on turbo kit with a reasonable sized turbo (small td04 variant or hybrid, or a t28 mani/downpipe kit) as it'll be so much cheaper and easier than having something custom bodged :p