hey guys i just rebuilt my engine and procided to stat her up for the first time . starts up fine

but after starting it up i noticed a few things she dosent idle like normal its almost like the engin is reving on its own

also i noticed the turbo temp was rising quickly so i puled out the oit filter and it was bran new not a speck of oil

dip stick indicate oil level is fine the engine idles really rough

i really need some help on this guys

check the oil line to the turbo isnt blocked.

if thats ok....

take the timing belt off. take off the oil filter and get a drill with a 14mm socket on the end and spin the oil pump clockwise.

oil should spray out. if not, youve got a shagged pump or pickup.

check that and let me know, and ill tell you where to go from there

please dont tell me you used the oil pump gasket as it acts as a spacer between the pump & block therefore the pump has not got the pressure to lift the oil, what you gotta do is loosen oil filter spin the pump see if the oil is getting to filter, i did that mistake and first time it cost me a crankshaft and bearings you should only use sealant not a gasket

It is not bullocks there is an o ring that sits round the pump YES which you need for it to work but in the speedvision gasket set you also get a gasket which fits round the oil pump body which fits to the block. Thats the gasket i am talking about not the o ring. I can provide photos if you want trust me i set up an experiment with my spare block fitted the pick up pipe with the pump in place and a bowl of oil, with the pump body gasket in place and span it over on my drill at full power with no pick up, however as soon as i removed the oil pump body gasket guess what it picked up the oil with hardly any power. I can provide you with pictures to back this up

Pictures showing which gasket i am talking about

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t215/da.../P9100503-1.jpg -picture of block blue arrow pointing towards were the o ring should sits on the pump this Should be fitted.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t215/da.../P9100502-1.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t215/da...11/P9100501.jpg

-pictures of the oil pump body gasket which i got in my engine gasket kit, toyota did not orignally make a gasket for it, it's supposed to have sealant to seal it to the block hence why theres little channels where the sealant sits in (shown with red arrow).

thats where the confusion is.

i was talking about an oem kit where you only get the rubber gasket. i thought you was saying dont use the rubber one!

i didnt even know paper ones were available?

im pretty "up" on 4/5e oil pumps, ive had some interesting times involving them...

I can understand the confusion mate just thought id put up the photos as its really hard to explain it and easy for others to see if they have the same problem, yea i found that gasket in my speedvision engine kit never had a problem with any of his stuff before and I've brought alot off him as like you said you dont get it in the oem kit you also dont get the sump gasket in the oem kit either, and I've heard about you rick and i no you your stuff mate.

you guys are all right thanks for every thing rick i did what you said with the drill and no oil came out so since i couldcontact you i proceded to remove my engine from my car to get to the root of the problem after stripping the entire engine down i took a look at my second oil pump and realised it didnt have the grove for the rubber gasket on the pump body how ever the block i was using did. so here the run down you can get 2 types of pumps may sound crazy but its true and i have the pumps to prove it .

1 pump body has groove for rubber o ring 2 pump body has no grove and grove is on block

but the long and short of it all is as soon as i removed that crappy speed vision gasket the pump worked fine that dam thing may have just cost me my turbo and my brand new bearings cas the engine ran for quite some time befor i realised the filter was still brand new the only thig i didnt have to buy over after using that kit was the cam seals and and crank seals . the distributer oring dosent fit and nothing else works all the injector rubbers dont fit ect

i hope sam at speed vision would take a look at this cause he says his kits work fine and haz never had a complaint

there are 2 different types of pump, youre right. the earlier pumps didnt have a groove as it was on the block itself. and the newer pumps has the groove in the pump and the block was flush. i still dont know for the life of my why speed vision gives out a paper gasket. i wonder how many engines have been wrecked by his kits?!

your crank bearings will be fine if it had the right amount of oil in it.

your turbo may be ok if you primed it with oil first. it takes a good 5 minutes for the turbo to get hot.

and id whip the cam cover off and check your cams mate. check the lobes for scratching or breaks.

hopefully your assembly lube should have been up to the job while the oil wasnt flowing.

i still dont know for the life of my why speed vision gives out a paper gasket. i wonder how many engines have been wrecked by his kits?!

I wonder the same thing as such a silly mistake can become very expensive, if you have fitted it, remove it, take plugs out and leads, spin engine over on the starter and after a few turns the oil light should go out, or if you havent fitted the gasket, check oil fed pipe & o ring, let me no if its cracked or something as i have a brand new pick up pipe fresh from toyota with a toyota o ring too, still in all the packaging got it last week.