• 1 month later...

lol thats for the new setup as we should be over the thou with that but we are revving to 11k redline as well so needed the extra duration.

at the moment were using 272 degree HKS units on the lower lift 9.4mm lift and making just over 850bhp at 2.5bar of boost, should have just touched the 9's with that but badluck has been setting us back so best we've been hitting is repeated 10.4's :p

Tim

TB Developments

well to be fair duration doesn't really have much effect on the displacement of the engine, 314's don't idle for shit either lol but then again neither do 1150cc injectors its all designed for top end, and its designed to have no low down power anyway as its setup for drag.

Don't know about hks for the starlet but we get 2 hight options on the 3sgte, and i've found nothing wrong with hks, had great suscess

Tim

TB Developments

hks don't make cams for a starlet. I've known a couple of them hks cam shafts go wrong because they ain't made that well. quite a few have cracked/ came cracked from the factory and they then end up in two pieces when they are fitted or used. could be to do with the fact that they are hollow cast.?

HKS produce very good cams, in a variety of duration and lift. Providing you match them with suitable valve springs then they'll produce the required output ;)

They'll also work with alot of manufacturer's varieties of variable valve timing, unless you decide to remove it completely and use something alternative, such as their own adjustable pulleys, either way they're very good units.

I've not seen any damaged except for scoring on the lobes, but thats usually due to other factors having gone wrong within the engine (spray bars blocked etc).

282 on a starlet will be...interesting :p Will very much be a top end motor with those buggers, can't see much being available down low with that duration. If thats what you're going for however, then they're ideal.

282 on a starlet will be...interesting :D Will very much be a top end motor with those buggers, can't see much being available down low with that duration. If thats what you're going for however, then they're ideal.

Hehe indeed indeed! Its drag though so not going to fuck around with smaller ones so its better on the road ;) hehe.. but yes its just going to be mapped for maximum power... not driveablity. FTW :p

Oh and 4 guys i know from MKIV have had HKS cams snap on them... and im sure many more out there have :D

i can only go on my experience but i've personally not seen any issues, and also the 3sgte versions are solids not hollow, but thats only going on the 3sgte ones i use. But we are having to go to Todas for the new engine as HKS don't make anything larger than 272 for the mr2

Tim

TB Developments

Be interesting to see what it'll do at drag, as starlets arent ideally suited to it at the best of times. Will definately be down to the driver in that respect, someone with considerable experience etc, thats what makes or breaks drag times at the end of the day, well, when you get up with the big boys anyway.

I imagine with your setup it'll be quite interesting around a track, providing the chassis is correctly fettled with, will be far more useful than drag anyway, just because they never make particular good drag cars. If you have wild cams then it'll certainly suit a track with alot of straights, dont wanna keep dropping out of the power band, especially if they're custom cams, it'll take a while to get it all tuned to work correctly with them, although when on song it'll probably be manic :p

Will be interesting to follow anyways, it may need a bit more weight over the front wheels if it is for drag, with all of the dash gone it's gonna be a bit of a scrabbler, even with like 10psi in the front tyres :D

Looking forward to watching it actually, should prove entertaining (would be nice to see how it fairs against, say, dans, as thats had years of development and a crazy long haired greasy guy who somehow is absolutely brilliant at drag techniques ;)).

no your right there not suited for it but indeed will be interesting.. im up for trying to get it to work lol.. but no one has really done it yet but i think people are now starting and big power starlets are becoming more common.. but how well there made and set up is a completely different story..

and yeh really looking forward to being able to adapt to how shes going to be.. its going to be abit too mental though at 1.8 - 2.0 bar.. and which dan lol.. 3s? or dan the man from tgtt? or another dan?! haha.

also ecks... thinking of having a try with an emu. thought it may be an interesting little test to see how good they really are... imo they are better than pfc's.. what are your thoughts?