calling all hdi cooler owners!

few questions.

1) is yours a 98 spec front bumper and if so how much trimming was required to get the bastard to fit?

2) where did you purchase it from? and how much?

3) have you experienced any problems with hoses popping off etc.

4) where is the cheapest you've seen them since?

calling all hdi cooler owners!

few questions.

1) is yours a 98 spec front bumper and if so how much trimming was required to get the bastard to fit?

2) where did you purchase it from? and how much?

3) have you experienced any problems with hoses popping off etc.

4) where is the cheapest you've seen them since?

1) i have a 96 they cant be to different, but if you have aircon alot of hacking is needed

2) managed to get mine of here ;)

3) none at all they are awesomness!

4) ebay, or Dane on tgtt

they any good?

i haven't had any problems with it, and there is barely any lag compared to the tmic, really nice fit and plus like some others you don't have to get rid of the air con to fit it.

overall i would recommend them and a really good price.

keirz is running one and he is running more power then me so could give an input to how it performs with higher power.

yeah i agree with rick that they are rather large and do require a fair bit of cutting if you still have a/c in place. i dont think they look bad though.

to be fair there size is not reflected in the lag. there was no extra lag for me at all when changing to the hdi from stock tmic and the qualuty of the kit is really good for the price. they do the job well to as after a blast of driving if you pull over and feel the temperature of the pipeing at the throttle body its impressivly cold.

worth every penny in my eyes but i have not had any experience with other more pricey coolers.

Just ordered one of these last night from Dane. Can't wait to get it fitted! ;)

I took a look at Danes kit hes just been sent, the quality and design of the core looks superb. It may look big, but Its not very tall (more of an elongated oblong shape) which may explain its ability to flow gases efficiently, leading to minimal lag. The piping route, looks good too and the clamps aren't cheap ones that pop off like some do. For the money, I reckon theyre pretty hard to beat Imo.

As for the bumper fitting, I think its gonna be tough to avoid trimming the bumper when you install any fmic, By the looks of it (and from conversations with kierz), removing A/C helps a fair bit in this process, which is good for me as I binned it long ago!

thats some good info there, cheers gents.

well its a tossup between the hdi and the autobahn, as i want to keep the stock recirc bov, so the autobahn seems to make sense, but after seeing fishy's one he bought i was really not that impressed. thats why im leaning towards getting the hdi, even if they are a little large.

thats some good info there, cheers gents.

well its a tossup between the hdi and the autobahn, as i want to keep the stock recirc bov, so the autobahn seems to make sense, but after seeing fishy's one he bought i was really not that impressed. thats why im leaning towards getting the hdi, even if they are a little large.

I was just in the middle of making this choice a week ago, Autobahn or HDI. Tbh the only thing that swayed me towards the autobahn kit that there are identical copies for sale on ebay for £215 delivered so I was tempted out of impatience lol. I also wasn't worried about the stock bov position so that wasnt an issue. Prices aside though, between the two it would be HDi no question.

I think the autobahn piping route is nonsensicle (going right over the hot manifold past the hot cat and radiator/fan cant be great for intake temps!) and it contains multiple sharp bends which doesnt help airflow. The core it self looks large too (quite tall, meaning a lot of the core is behind the bumper and away from direct airflow) as its tall and will also requre cutting of the bumper as the Hdi one does.

If you didn't have to worry about the stock bov, I think the choice would be easier to make for you. ;)

Yeah they are big large for the car but they work well. At first I had a 96 bumper which was totally chopped to bits to allow the cooler. It looked crap. Bought a 98 bumper which required less cutting and looks a hell of a lot better :)

I got mine for £300 delivered from HK.

never once popped a hose.

Since the HDI and Auotbahn IC's are being discussed here i wondered would people also be willing to review the Japspeed IC to?

Then we would have the 3 most common FMIC's reviewed in one post. Ofcourse the GReddy and HKS are welcome to :)

i would definatly say hdi over the autobahn. the routing of the autobahn is not the best design and i dont think the cooler sits as nice as the hdi behind the bumper. i have no issues with my hdi.

• 3 weeks later...

I have also considered the HDI intercooler.

Few questions:

Do the pipes come with the kit?

Where can i purchase the kits from?

Also what do you guys mean when you say by keeping the stock recirc bov?

As im running a HKS dump valve will i require anything external to the kit?

I have also considered the HDI intercooler.

Few questions:

Do the pipes come with the kit?

Where can i purchase the kits from?

Also what do you guys mean when you say by keeping the stock recirc bov?

As im running a HKS dump valve will i require anything external to the kit?

Yep, all pipes joiners and clamps come with the kit, everything needed to install it!

You can get the kits from Dane aka Starlet Part Shop on the TGTT forum.

The kit relocates the blow off valve vent tube from the pipe coming off the turbo. It is now placed up near the throttle body which improves bov response.

If you have an HKS bov, you will not need to worry about the stock recirc as I presume it will have been removed, you will simply move the hks dumpy to its new position which may involve getting a new silcone reducer pipe made as the HDI bov vent has a 30mm diameter iirc (stock is 19mm).

Here are some pics to help you with you're decision!

DSC01016.jpg

DSC01021.jpg

DSC01030.jpg

Cheers,

Alex

Yep, all pipes joiners and clamps come with the kit, everything needed to install it!

You can get the kits from Dane aka Starlet Part Shop on the TGTT forum.

The kit relocates the blow off valve vent tube from the pipe coming off the turbo. It is now placed up near the throttle body which improves bov response.

If you have an HKS bov, you will not need to worry about the stock recirc as I presume it will have been removed, you will simply move the hks dumpy to its new position which may involve getting a new silcone reducer pipe made as the HDI bov vent has a 30mm diameter iirc (stock is 19mm).

Here are some pics to help you with you're decision!

Cheers,

Alex

@Pav, Top man.

I'm convinced that this is a decent intercooler, although im running a HKS bov my standard recirc is still there if you know what i mean.

Where did you source your reducer pipe?

they are very good fmic, although big work to a very high standard.

the biggest problem for me was finding a pipe to fit my hks bov, which proved to be very hard and in the end had to have it welded on.

Dane has a reducer to a hks on a picture i saw on his old ep82, best bet would be to give him a shout, he is uber helpful and will get back to you in the same evening.

Thanks pal.

Anyone know the price for this cooler?

I have registered on TGTT to get incontact with Dane.

On that thread you posted on it says £295 delivered.

• 3 weeks later...