Exhaust Manifold for N/A

I'm trying to find out which would be the "best" and most easily attainable exhaust manifold for the 4EFE.

There are a few that I know of, these are mostly for the 5E but as far as I know there shouldn't be any major fitting problems:

OBX (easily available off ebay)

Pacesetter (also available off ebay)

Hotshot (not much chance of getting one of these)

And just now I've came accross this...

http://www.tercelreference.com/tercel_info...hurricane_1.jpg

Not heard of it or seen it before, was wondering if anyone knew anything about it, how hard it would be to get hold of one, etc...

If anyone could give me a positive answer which one would be best for an N/A Starlet, and when I say best I mean mid range/top end power.

My main interest now is finding out more about the Hurricane 4EFE manifold.

I've had another search in the technical section and there are mixed opinions with the OBX and Pacesetter manifolds.

Does anyone know if this Hurricane one was from the USA or Japan? I assume they are discontinued...

I'd love to get one of those Hurricane ones but unless someone like Rick or whoever knows if/where they are available and what sort of price then it looks unlikely.

I think Pacesetter would probably be the one to go for if the Hurricane one turns out hopeless.

Pacesetter are shite quality from what I've been told. So I would stay away from them.

I'm running an OBX one on my Paseo, and thats brilliant. Havent had any problems. Only thing you will find is their made for the Gen1 Paseos so you will need to block one of the holes up on the top and move your Lambda.

With mine as well, I had to have the down pipe cut and the later part rotated as it was angled toward the floor before and my cat would've hit the floor lol

From what I am told the OBX wasn't too good on the 4E, and reading back on some old posts Rick says the Pacesetter ones are much better.

I'd love to find out more about those Hurricane ones though they look perfect.

Pacesetter are shite quality from what I've been told. So I would stay away from them.

I'm running an OBX one on my Paseo, and thats brilliant. Havent had any problems. Only thing you will find is their made for the Gen1 Paseos so you will need to block one of the holes up on the top and move your Lambda.

With mine as well, I had to have the down pipe cut and the later part rotated as it was angled toward the floor before and my cat would've hit the floor lol

Its also designed for a 5EFE Stevo. They may cosmetically be the same engine but the taller block makes all the difference.

Joz

The website is pants to be honest, it says it's getting updated but then again it could have been just left like that for months, the date on there says 2007...

But atleast we know now that they are in existance and come from Australia, I will have a look on the aussie starlet forum tommorow to see if there's any info on there.

The aussie's have said the Hurricane manifolds aren't very good.

So I'm going to look into the Pacesetter ones.

But, ignoring the paint colour and concentrating on design, there are two different Pacesetter exhaust manifolds:

4-2-1

pace-headers-armor.jpg

4-1

P40701156.jpg

Has anyone tried either of these manifolds? I'd like to find the pros and cons of the 4-1 vs the 4-2-1.

Its best to ask guys from the USA because they have used them the most as well as pacesetter being most widely available from there. There was a huge 5EFE and related engine tuning scene in the US not long ago. The people that I have asked over there have said the Pacesetter is poor quality and poorly designed not to mention the black paint comes off after short use.

You are asking people from the UK but only a handful have used the pacesetter and the obx and most probably used them on the intended 5EFE. No one uses these on 4EFE mate. I tried the OBX on my 4EFE for a good while and I didnt rate it. 5EFE yes because thats what they were designed for. The OBX is good for what you pay imho. That Hurricane LOOKs awesome but the aussies say its no good, strange that. Was it the 4EFE or 5EFE that they gave you feedback on?

Im still getting to grips with the hotshot, and until I can have it at the highest rpm I can't comment on it.

Joz

Quoted from an American member on PaseoClub

Ok, as a parts seller, long time Paseo tuner, and owner of both generation Paseos, I'll break it down for you.

OBX Pros and Cons:

Pros: Good construction. Good looks. Good performance.

Cons: It is a bolt on part ONLY for the 1st Generation Paseo 92-95 here is North America. Requires a modified exhaust on newer Paseos. Hard to find now since OBX no longer makes it and we are buying out old stock on ebay (unless you Europeans know something I don't, lol).

Pacesetter Pros and Cons:

Pros: Separate bolt on applications for both Generations of Paseo. Good performance. Easy and cheap to get. Looks good in Armor Coat.

Cons: Unless you get Armor coat, they rust easy and don't last long. The steel is a bit thin, doesn't feel as well made as the OBX header.

I hope that helps.

I could sign up to some Tercel/Paseo forums but still wouldn't get the sort of answer I'm looking for as they are running 5EFE's...

And Joz, don't want to point out the obvious here but it's worth mentioning, giving a comparison between the OBX and HotShot could be difficult considering you had a Powerflow exhaust with the OBX, and now a Fujitsubo with the HotShot.

What's making it more confusing is people saying good and bad things about both the Pacesetter and OBX, so without actually buying and trying both I don't think I will ever get a straight answer...

After what the AUSC boys have said it looks like it boils down to Pacesetter vs OBX.

Other than Joz, has anyone actually tried either manifold on the 4EFE?

Also, what are peoples views on using exhaust wrap? Some have said it is terrible stuff and don't use it, while others say it's great stuff and very effective.

Pointing out the obvious is fine man but you may find Im the closest link when talking about the obx and 4efe combination regardless of system used. I just urge you to try a combination on the 4EFE motor yourself.

Although it was a powerflow with the obx as thats all I had access to system wise at the time, it didnt go bad at all and was even better when I evened the odds by adding the 5EFE. I've always been about experimentation with my motor and Im not afraid to do it. I know people say there is not a lot of difference between 4E and 5E na but I believe there is and from now on its all going to be about 5E for me, I don't want to look back.

It does seem like you are not going to get a straight answer mate, there are lots of factors and variables involved.

I would urge you to try the combination that you think will work best if you can acquire it and work from there. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, all we can do is ask or assume otherwise.

Joz

Well I don't have any experience when it comes to the different manifolds but I have used exhaust wrap on my ep, here's ny experiences

Pro's

1; After I wrapped my exhaust you could catch the manifold and exhaust up to the cat with your bare hand, so is effective IMO in reducing underbonnet heat.

2; handy if using an open (apexi style) airfilter

3; can tidy an otherwise tired looking manifold even if its the original

Con's

1; the stuff is made of fibre glass and the stuff goes everywhere when your installing it.

2; youalso need to buy steel lock ties in order to secure the wrap in place.

Definately going to get some exhaust wrap then, I assume it's best to go with a well known brand rather than cheapo rubbish?

As for the mani, I've got my eye on the Pacesetter at the moment, don't really like the OBX for some reason.

After a bit more searching I'm definately leaning towards the Pacesetters now:

pacesetterjn1.jpg

e913_1.JPG

P40701156.jpg

70-11562.jpg

The only thing that slightly puts me off is that the runners all look different lengths, or am I just seeing things?

But then I don't think it should be too much of a problem as the differences in lengths aren't too big?

£151.79 delivered, from America.

Don't really care about the paint coming off as I will heatwrap them anyway.

Does anyone have an *experienced* opinion on them?