A couple of u may already have known that my passenger side caliper locked on me a few weeks back and resulted in a cloud of smoke from the front end!!!

Well yesterday me and my family went indoor carting in Ballymena...on the way up i could feels omethin wrong and the night before along the motorway i was convinced i could hear a strange noise from the passenger front end! So when i pulled up to a junction with my window down i got a HUGE wiff of something burnin.....thought 'oh poo....bet ya thats me'....pulled into the carting carpark and got out to have a look...to find LOTS of smoke pouring from my caliper!!!! Had the car recoveredon a flat bed lorry and taken back to Larne....where my mechanic took the caliper apart to find....nothing wrong at all!!!! WTF!!!!! the pistons are perfectly free but the wheel is COVERED in brake dust which is a good trick as EBC green stuff pads arent meant to break down like that, esp at only 3 weeks old!!!!!! Clearly there is somethin worng with it tho and we've decided to bin them and now have to fork out for uprated calipers, most probably a set of AP Racin calipers....a nice upgrade but NOT when i wanted to do it as it will cost a BOMB!!!!

Total bugger!

Phil.

The caliper was totally serviced when it seized a few weeks back streetracer mate and the pistons greased up with graphite grease so they should be fine, plus my mechanic knows his shit inside and out and he cant figure it out!! He's gettin me a price for the AP Racin calipers, hopefully not £600, if they are i'll opt for Wilwood ones or somethin instead.

@Simon, thanks for the offer dude, but if im changin then i may aswell upgrade, roads here are shit esp in winter so more stoppin power would be nice, may do disks too not sure, tho if the price turns out to be ridiculous i may take u up dude, tho TBH i really dont wana go factory because it could only happen again, how many miles r on them??

Phil.

um, you could get some calipers from anywhere, from a glanza etc or another uk starlet, dont really see the NEED for spending stupid money on uprated calipers, last time i look at wilwoods on the jap auctions they were over a grand.....

just get some working calipers for like 50 quid and be done with it, i dont know of anyone else thats had this problem so it must be a one off.

really sorry to hear dude.

hope everything gets sorted... i would personally take simon up on his offer mate, you shouldnt need to upgrade calipers really, just a new set.

Rich.

ive just skimmed over this thred, sounds like bad luck,

like graeme said the slidinging pins are notorius for seizing,

this also happened in my old sr, new sliding pins are cheap as chips!!

hopefully you will get it sorted soon man.