hi all.

when i drop fte in my car, i know im guna hit fuel cut. but i read somthing tonite that got me thinkin. how can i avoid fuel cut? ive seen a HKS FCD that im probably guna buy.. but ive seen loads about them being bad. last thing i want is to mess my car up. i will also be running a HKS actuator and an ebc. can i not just raise the actuator setting to just over a bar, then run the EBC at just under a bar or a bar on its very highest setting i would use? or do i need to aproach it with the FCD?

Jay

Why are you sure you'll hit fuel cut? Will you have air filter/exhaust/de-cat? You can avoid fuel cut by porting the wastegate, introducing a restriction to the intake or exhaust (standard CAT back in, or standard air box). I'd say set your actuator to 0.6Bar then use your EBC to raise it to 0.75 - just below fuel cut. Also an aftermarket manifold will help slightly I found.

If you want to run 1Bar then you will need a FCD, but you'll also need to ensure the additional boost is being fuelled for correctly. This requires a RRFPR. You can use this FCD/FPR combo but its crude, I would suggest setting the FPR fairly rich then getting a SAFC to trim it down throughout the rev range (should be setup on a dyno.) Will give you a pretty good tune, and is the next best option to an Emanage or equivalent.

EDIT:

Also, a HKS FCD will be fine as it leans out the entire rev range, which you can then use the FPR to compensate for.

Hope that helps.

^^ summed it all up, and just to let you no a ebc can not lower boost only raise it so set your actuator at something low like 0.5 then increase it on the ebc.

if you want to run around the 200bhp mark which expect you do then i would invest in an emanage, you can set your FCD up but you will need a RRFPR so you dont destroy your pistons running lean. but there isnt much difference between running under fuel cut at 0.8 and running 1bar and potentially blowing your engine.

i would wait be patient and invest in an emanage or as stated above get a SAFC and get it all set up together.

The core of the problem is boost creep (boost rising over the target level set by the actuator or boost controller). Messing around with air intakes and cats is far from an ideal solution, you want to make your car peform better not slow it down lol. Unfortunately the truth is to truely stop boost creep (which is a bigger problem than just fuel cut. Trying to map an emanage or other ecu with a boost creeping turbo is not easily done) you have two options.

1. Save your pennies and either have the wastegate professionally ported which means removing the turbo (you can do the whole job yourself but have to be very careful), OR

2. Save your pennies and get a Hybrid turbo. Part of hybridising a CT9 involves porting the wastegate area, not just the round hole but the area behind it to allow the excess boost pressure to escape problem free.

Hi

I've been wondering the same thing

if your going to increase the boost above the 0.8bar cut off my mate says you just uprate all the fuel system which will solve the cut off problem

Is this true???

you need a FCD(fuel cut defender) a RRFPR(rising rate fuel pressure regulator) at a minimum but i would be advised to get some kind of advanced fuel management e.g. Apexi SAFC

it's been covered a million times just have a poke around in the technical section

Like was said earlier, I'd stick at 0.8 on the standard CT9 as the gains between 0.8 and 1.0 bar are very little and IMHO its worth it for the health of your engine.

Thats what i'm doing until I can afford to change the turbo to one with an external wastegate etc and proper management

Steve

So I've gt a pretty standard EP82

I havn't had it long all I've done is A blitz SUS induction and Blitz Dump Valve

after doing exhaust FMIC etc i intend to increase the boost

so what your saying is but a Fuel Pressure Regulator kit, get it set up on a dyno with a HKS FCD then with a Adjustable actuator up the boost to 0.8bar on the standard C9 turbo??

have i got that right

thanks

The core of the problem is boost creep (boost rising over the target level set by the actuator or boost controller). Messing around with air intakes and cats is far from an ideal solution, you want to make your car peform better not slow it down lol. Unfortunately the truth is to truely stop boost creep (which is a bigger problem than just fuel cut. Trying to map an emanage or other ecu with a boost creeping turbo is not easily done) you have two options.

1. Save your pennies and either have the wastegate professionally ported which means removing the turbo (you can do the whole job yourself but have to be very careful), OR

2. Save your pennies and get a Hybrid turbo. Part of hybridising a CT9 involves porting the wastegate area, not just the round hole but the area behind it to allow the excess boost pressure to escape problem free.

Or go for an externally wastegated setup; should help.

So I've gt a pretty standard EP82

I havn't had it long all I've done is A blitz SUS induction and Blitz Dump Valve

after doing exhaust FMIC etc i intend to increase the boost

so what your saying is but a Fuel Pressure Regulator kit, get it set up on a dyno with a HKS FCD then with a Adjustable actuator up the boost to 0.8bar on the standard C9 turbo??

have i got that right

thanks

Yeah.

First things 1st make sure the standard engine is running well. Do a good service and put in some NGK or the like Spark Plugs.

Then sort out the basics first (Exhaust/ Filter/ BOV if you like) then move onto extra power.

Remember that its best to play safe as you don't want to blow your turbo :)

Power wise my car has a relocated Apexi Filter, TRD Stainless Steel Exhaust, HKS Adjustable Actuator and Blitz Electronic Boost Controller to start with.

I am waiting to fit my HDI FMIC, Coilovers, SPS Manifold, New Disks and Pads, Adjustable Panhard Rod etc so that when I raise the boost the rest of the car can handle it.

I would also make sure you have good suspension, brakes and tyres as there's no point spinning all that newfound power away or not being able to stop!!

Just my 2p worth :D

Steve

well basicaly the car will be running with following mods

aftermarket exhaust

blitz decat

aftermarket manifold

toy tuning filter relocation kit

ht leads

blitz dump valve

ngk iridium 7's

hdi front mount

hdi electronic boost controller

hks actuator

hks fcd

after market fuel pump

RRFPR

so if i get it set up corectly on a RR, what boost do you reckon i would be aiming for reliably? or could i just ask the RR geezar to take it anywhere up to a bar, but only of reliably possible?

Jay

jay, get the fcd, rrfpr and fuel pump all off your list. dont even bother with them. take the money you was gonna spend on them and get a jam ecu. 5 minute fit and will fuel up to 1 bar easily and will benifit from a more agressive map. thats my opinion from my own experience. i made good power that way.

add a good hybrid to that list and you will be around 200bhp. if you need a go in my glanza to prove this is a good route to go just let me know!

jay, get the fcd, rrfpr and fuel pump all off your list. dont even bother with them. take the money you was gonna spend on them and get a jam ecu. 5 minute fit and will fuel up to 1 bar easily and will benifit from a more agressive map. thats my opinion from my own experience. i made good power that way.

add a good hybrid to that list and you will be around 200bhp. if you need a go in my glanza to prove this is a good route to go just let me know!

I agree with this man here as far as Ecus are concerned. Although lookout for a Blitz Access one too as they are awesome ecus. I had a Jam one which seemed to perform well but my topmount was bottlenecking performance at the time so I sold it to buy an fmic. Once I had a Front mount I bought a Blitz Access (does much the same job as Jam/Sard/Zep ecu). I am told Blitz created an extremely good ignition map for they're ecus. The difference from 0.8 bar on standard management was incredible, absolutely nuts @ 1 bar on a hybrid! Keirz setup is similar to mine so if you check his out, I doubt you'll be dissapointed :)

Fuel regulators seem like the cheap option at first, but once you've bought a decent one plus an FCD plus RR setup costs, you might as well have bought an Ecu!

Or go for an externally wastegated setup; should help.

Yeah thats a good option I didnt think to list. I looked into doing this myself but for the expense of a manifold and Tial WG I realised buying a hybrid would cost a similar amount. :)

im kind of in the same boat

was thimking of FPR's FCD's and getting it set up on a RR but then realised an ECU was a better option

but I've looked everywhere for 1 theres one or 2 kicking around on forums but is there ne where else you can get them from???

hi guys,

I have a 95 GT with a hks filter, hks exhaust, bailey BOV, and a de-cat and i am getting a fuel cut off when i'm at full boost, but it only happens sometimes?? i'm gonna get a front mount in the next couple of weeks and a HKS actuator and i think a re-map with a piggy bank ECU on the RR should sort the problem??

cheers

jay

hi guys,

I have a 95 GT with a hks filter, hks exhaust, bailey BOV, and a de-cat and i am getting a fuel cut off when i'm at full boost, but it only happens sometimes?? i'm gonna get a front mount in the next couple of weeks and a HKS actuator and i think a re-map with a piggy bank ECU on the RR should sort the problem??

cheers

jay

yep B)