Plug & Play Ecu Questions

As everyone says Emanage or whatever would be better but I want to know a few more things about the plug & play ECU's before I rule them out.

Is there much difference between the different brands or are they all basically the same? Any particular ones better than others or is it all down to the map that's on them?

With all the usual bolt ons (mani/decat/exhaust/air filter/fmic) is it 100% safe to run a bar or just under it without any issues? (On a CT9)

I'm not worried about power increase at this point, what I want to know is will it safely and reliably run the engine without over/under fuelling? I have heard these ECU's are slightly "self adjusting" and can handle up to a bar of boost.

Do you need anything else (RRPFR?) or is it simply plug and play, turn the boost up to 0.9-1.0 bar and away you go?

Im running a Blitz Access ecu, with a blitz K1 turbo, i do have the advantage that the ecu is actually mapped for this turbo though.

Brand wise i think they all pretty much do the same thing, they just have there own maps and to what they have been mapped for.

Safety wise i never seen or herd of anyone having problems, rolling roads always show they fuel efficiently. They do run rich top end im pretty certain of, mine tends to pop a lot when shifting gear at full chat.

I guess they do self learn to a certain degree, they always seem to fuel what thrown at them.

They do just plug in then you up the boost. Nothing else needed management/fuel wise.

On a side note power wise. I used it when i had the CT9 for a bit, my mate running a similar set up and a CT9, difference being he had air filter off turbo and i had air box, he running 0.9 bar me running 0.7. His stripped out, no air con mine full interior and aircon. He had emanage i had had the Blitz ECU. He could only just pull on me, there was very little difference in perforance. Also someone round my end run a jam ecu at 1.2 bar on a TD04 with no problems.

In my opinion they are mint. If i had the airbox and decided i want to run a front mounted filter for example, i just do it. I dont have to go back and pay however much to get it re mapped like i would if running emange.

Cheers for the detailed reply. :thumbsup:

That's crazy lol your mate must have surely had a bad tune?

Well that's another thing sorted then (I'm planning out what I want to do when I get a GT), I really didn't want to go through the hassle of Emanage or whatever, this seems much easier.

Maybe get a wideband to keep an eye on AFRs? But after reading what you've said it doesn't seem necessary.

I dont think my mate has a bad tune at all, although he did say it was more of a progressive map rather than a sudden surge. I just think it shows that these ecu's are well mapped.

Another benefit i forgot to mention is fuel consumption off boost. With my standard ecu most id done to a full tank was 300km, with the blitz ecu in ive managed to do 480km to one tank. I do a 60mile round trip to work each day so the money im saving in fuel will pay for the ecu in time. Not sure if the is the same when using emanage but it well could be.

• 2 weeks later...
Cheers for the detailed reply. :thumbsup:

That's crazy lol your mate must have surely had a bad tune?

Well that's another thing sorted then (I'm planning out what I want to do when I get a GT), I really didn't want to go through the hassle of Emanage or whatever, this seems much easier.

Maybe get a wideband to keep an eye on AFRs? But after reading what you've said it doesn't seem necessary.

I dont think my mate has a bad tune at all, although he did say it was more of a progressive map rather than a sudden surge. I just think it shows that these ecu's are well mapped.

Another benefit i forgot to mention is fuel consumption off boost. With my standard ecu most id done to a full tank was 300km, with the blitz ecu in ive managed to do 480km to one tank. I do a 60mile round trip to work each day so the money im saving in fuel will pay for the ecu in time. Not sure if the is the same when using emanage but it well could be.

I have a Blitz Access Ecu for sale atm. Only because I am upgrading to a stand alone ecu to run launch control, shift cut etc when flat shifting and all those nifty little features.

I was running 18-19 psi on Blitz K1-200V with the Blitz Access ECU with out any dramas at all. I was just running a Supra Fuel pump, FMIC, mani, dump and exhaust.

the jam ecu is very good too.

ive had mine a while now and its taken everything thats been thrown at it. at a RR day the tuner comented on mine being the best map he has seen all day. fueling was spot on and made good power. i have no other fueling mods other than the JAM ecu.

it helps if you know what the ecu is mapped for or has been used for in the past.

i would happily use one again, im changing turbo set up at the minute and when its done its gonna go back on the dyno again to check everything is fine and the JAM is coping and fueling well. i have no doubts that it will adapt to the new set up just fine.