Constant Banging Noise From Engine

Hey All!

There is a constant banging noise coming from the engine of my starlet. Sounds like the engine mounts may have gone but the gear stick is firm and cannot feel the engine moving through it so im sure its not that. My mates thought it could of been something to do with the power steering hydrolics.... jacked it up all fine. Took to local garage they had no idea thought it could be something to do with pedal bearings?? has anyone ever heard of anything like this or come accross the same problem?

Thx paul

My first thoughts would be on an engie mount too, I guess you've sat with the car running and tried to get it to make the sounds so you can try to find it?

I'd expect there must be something loose somewhere its just a case of tracking it down.

Stop driving it right away. Do a compression test. A guage is £15 and will help you out. Is she using alot of oil r wat. It might be a simple enough reason for it though. Is it a new noise or what did you do when you noticed it. Be honest it helps lol.

happened in my mates ep82....was a mashed piston and bent valve

Thanks all! tried pushing car when not running no noise? Seems to be coming from the pedals behind dashboard on right hand side of car.... only happens when goes over bumps. Im sure its not engine noise now any more idea's???

thx again

• 1 month later...

thats true actually

is it affecting the performance of the cr eg idling revs speed etc

if not it doesnt seem to be engine related

as said it only does it going over bumps etc id still say chassis/suspention related lol