I'm thinking of replacing the standard airbox with a performance filter....first of all, i would like to ask whether it is worth spending a lot of money on this part? Also any brands you would recommend? Are the unbranded cone filters (like those found on ebay) any good? I was looking at the apexi filters however there is a huge gap in price between these and the aforementioned unbranded ones

This has been covered quite a few times bud, try using the search option to take a look ^_^

I doubt there'll be a massive difference to be honest, unless the unbranded really are TERRIBLE quality, I wouldn't bother shelling out £30-40+ just for branded ones..

Was just about to post up about Apiro filters but you got there first lol.

I have one, can't fault it really.

At the end of the day an air filter is an air filter, but you have to take into account how much air it can flow (how restrictive it is) and how much shit it lets through.

I know this is old and most people have seen it many times but it's worth a look:

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

Surprisingly even the more expensive and rather common air filters like the Blitz and HKS actually have pretty crap filtration.

Was just about to post up about Apiro filters but you got there first lol.

I have one, can't fault it really.

At the end of the day an air filter is an air filter, but you have to take into account how much air it can flow (how restrictive it is) and how much shit it lets through.

I know this is old and most people have seen it many times but it's worth a look:

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

Surprisingly even the more expensive and rather common air filters like the Blitz and HKS actually have pretty crap filtration.

Thanks for the link..ver helpful ^_^

So now it's between an apexi filter and the cheaper apiro....

Does the apiro give the car a nice sound? If so I'll think I'll go for one of these --> LINK

Also what is the life expectancy of such filter?

Looks good mate, but I'd make the most of it by buying a less restrictive aluminium/steel pipe too instead of using the stock rubber one, and then sort it out with a cold feed too!

Haha I've got a K&N Panel filter but I think I'm tempted to get a cone myself now ^_^

The life expectancy is usually beyond the life of the vehicle if the quality of the filter is decent, they just need to be cleaned & oiled every few thousand miles..

Just found this, going really cheap!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

good choise bud glad you have seen the light not getting a crap filter, cheap filters have crap flow rate, the ones that have a good flow the actual filter is rubbish and lets particles of shit through which is not good.

I have a guide somewhere that did a really in-depth study into how well each filter works, a cheapo ebay one,and all other leading brands, Apexi came out a mile above the rest.

exactly the point, i would rather keep the original filter on my car rather than getting a pikey filter off ebay.

not worth the risk of sucking something into your engine and fucking it up

exactly the point, i would rather keep the original filter on my car rather than getting a pikey filter off ebay.

not worth the risk of sucking something into your engine and fucking it up

I reasoned that that if I buy something it must be better than the original....if something is worth doing it is worth doing well...at least that's what I think

I have a guide somewhere that did a really in-depth study into how well each filter works, a cheapo ebay one,and all other leading brands, Apexi came out a mile above the rest

Someone posted something similar above....don't think it's the same as it's a comparison between K&N, apexi, hks and blitz....

So it's decided....next mod to my car will be an Apexi filter :thumbsup:

I think it's not that difficult to change it yourself eh?

I reasoned that that if I buy something it must be better than the original....if something is worth doing it is worth doing well...at least that's what I think

no mate your totally right always worth doing something properly mate

Someone posted something similar above....don't think it's the same as it's a comparison between K&N, apexi, hks and blitz....

So it's decided....next mod to my car will be an Apexi filter :thumbsup:

I think it's not that difficult to change it yourself eh?

nah is it hell. its probably the easiest mod you can you yourself its just a jubilee clip really lol

• 1 month later...

So I encountered my first problems (as usual :) )

Since my car came with a 2e engine from the factory, the airbox is different than that found in a 4efe or 4efte engine.

This is the diagram of my airbox CLICK HERE

So my questions are:

What is the diameter of the air intake?

What is the thermostatic valve (17728) found in the airbox and what is its function?