Questions About Engine Rebuilds

I've been doing alot of reading up on engine rebuilds lately and want to find out a few things.

Set aside the fact that forged items are expensive and assuming you had some good condition second hand parts, for example, a 5E block/crank, 5EFHE rods, 4EFTE pistons.

Would it be fine to just put it together? (Replacing all the bearings and things like that aswell).

I'm confused about it slightly, how can you tell if it's going to work properly? Obviously you'd need to check the clearances but say if the block needed machining you'd need bigger pistons anyway so it rules out using standard 4EFTE pistons, so is it just a matter of finding the parts in the right condition or is there more to it than that?

I'm not sure if that really makes sense but I can't think of how to word it properly lol.

I'll probably add more questions up later.

Coming from poor knowledge, if you have done the research right I believe it could work. But then again, every build has its drawbacks.

If its as easy as that then... well.. il buy a shed Paseo and take the engine... :thumbsup:

Well the actual process of building an engine doesn't look that hard aslong as you have the right tools, a bit of patience, and make sure you tighten everything up properly. I could be talking out my ass but it doesn't look half as hard as people make it sound.

But I'd fucking cry if I spent a lot of time building an engine and forgot to tighten something up properly and it fucked up within 5 mins of starting it. :thumbsup:

engine building isnt hard but you have to be anal about it.

you have to make sure everything is spotless, everything is triple checked for torque etc.

the actual process is easy though, can have it done in a few hours (unless you have to reseat valves! they are a shit on a 4e head!) you just CANNOT get lazy with it, you have to make sure its all done properly.

as for your 5e question.

yes, 5e block, crank and rods with fte pistons work. if youre serious about doing it, send me a pm and ill give you a few tips, im the wins with 5e conversions :thumbsup:

It's all about getting everything perfect, having the correct torque settings, knowing how to set certain things, using the right bearings, it comes with practice really, shit happens, I once snapped a ring when rebuilding my c20let, luckily enough it was a spare engine. You can actually get build manuals too, it helps to be meticulous with everything. I've got a build portfolio from a prokect that I did, i'll try and find it for you, then you'll be able to see how much work goes into one lol.

Damien