Why Does No One Use Garrett Turbos?

I've been looking on the Garrett website at their smaller sized turbos (as an alternative to the typical CT9 hybrid/TD04) and it makes me wonder why nobody is actually using them?

First there's the GT2052 which is for 1.4 to 2 liter engines, and rated from a fairly standard looking 140bhp up to 225bhp, which is CT9 hybrid territory.

Then the next one up is the GT2056, rated up to 260bhp, which seems slightly better than a TD04 setup.

And then there's the GT2252, recommended for 1.7-2.2 liter engines and rated to 150-260 bhp, again competing with TD04 figures.

Now I'm not too clued up on the "compressor map" graphs but I'm sure someone could work it out, just have a quick look on the Garrett website and you'll see: http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarre...bochargers.html

So why is no one using them? Obviously one reason is the cost, I have no idea how much these Garrett turbos cost and for all I know they could be very expensive, but going by Tong Turbo's prices a recon'd TD04L is over 300 quid and a hybrid CT9 is over £450. I know you can pick up TD04's way cheaper than that but obviously second hand. And then you'd have to get a manifold/downpipe to suit but if you were going down the TD04 route for example you'd need that anyway, and it's not much hassle to a company such as Zisco or Race Tech to put a different flange onto one of their manifolds and make a downpipe.

So why does everyone stick to hybrid CT9's or TD04's? I've heard/read from various sources that the TD04 is an old design, and pretty crap compared to some other turbos. Yet they are still very popular? Sure there's a good market for TD04 parts and they're "tried and tested" but you'd have thought by now that someone would have found a better alternative than an old turbo off a WRX.

Are there any Garrett users out there other than the ones using the bigger GT25/GT28 turbos?

I'm using one.. well a K26 that they made for Blitz anyway.

My only reservation is that I've seen far too many broken Garrett turbos. My VW warranty shelves are graced with a far amount off them. Oh and the cost is quite scary too.

Are they really that bad or is it just a case of being badly treated? Their website seems to bullshit themselves up about them being good but I don't really take a companys own words too seriously.

And how expensive are they, I had a quick search only looked at one link but the prices seemed to be around the same as other turbos for the Starlet, unless it was just a bad site.

I love garrette tubby's and will be getting a GT28 on my mr2... i think there very underestimated turbo's with options like being able to use a full 360 thrust bearing, spooling is going to be silly low.

yes they are more expensive then others but in my opinion yeld greater options and results over other turbos's like td04/05/06.

apart from Daves new neat bearing td05 which is genius! in my opinion that is now the best option for a glanza/ep82 :thumbsup:

I'm really liking the look of the GT2052 as an alternative to a hybrid or TD04, but one problem that stands out to me straight away is the position of it;

GT2056---751578-2-_2.jpgGT2056---751578-2-_4.jpg

If it was to be mounted in the standard position the compressor outlet would be facing backwards, if you were to clock it you'd have to mess around making an actuator bracket, so I'd assume the ideal solution would be to have a custom manifold and "top mount" the turbo, that way the compressor outlet would face forwards and make it easy for the intercooler piping.

• 2 weeks later...

and who do you think hks gets all its parts from for there turbochargers? the chra's are all garrett on hks turbo's its normally the combination of garrett parts and exhaust housings that make up the HKS turbos

I only use garrett turbochargers in my 3sgte turbocharger kits, and wouldn't use anything else now. Like someone said they've got a good collection of broken garretts, all i can say is i've got the same collection of TD turbo's that have fallen apart.

for reliability and performance i've not found anything that comes close to the garrett GT kits, but also it depends which models your purchasing. This is a dealer only option that isn't usually avalible to the public but you can sellect which country there made, the usa and japanese versions are much better albeit more exspensive than the ones made in mexico and peru.

The only reason i'd say most people on here don't use them is the price, as it all seems to be about money with these small cars over putting the money in for a better part (no offence intended)

for an example i use the GT3071r alot in my work, and this is a comparable turbo to the TD06, yes the garrett spools 500rpm sooner and i've had 80bhp more from it with greater torque. But the TD06 is cheaper.

Tim

TB Developments

I'm really liking the look of the GT2052 as an alternative to a hybrid or TD04, but one problem that stands out to me straight away is the position of it;

GT2056---751578-2-_2.jpgGT2056---751578-2-_4.jpg

If it was to be mounted in the standard position the compressor outlet would be facing backwards, if you were to clock it you'd have to mess around making an actuator bracket, so I'd assume the ideal solution would be to have a custom manifold and "top mount" the turbo, that way the compressor outlet would face forwards and make it easy for the intercooler piping.

you'd do better to juse remove the actuator bracket from its position, clock the turbo and then make a new bracet that mounts from the compressor housing clamp ring like the larger GT28's do

Tim

TB Developments

i think garrett turbo are the bomb they have been used for years on Diesel Generators on building sites

and they are running all day long24/7 i know they arnt boosting like they would on a car or a truck but it still shows they are strong as ever :harhar: