3s-gte Problems (gt-four)

hi guys....been searching thru the Celica forums and can't really find an answer to my question....and i refuse to pay a membership fee to them just to post on their message boards.....

basically wondering if anyone knows much about 3S-GTE engines and common faults they may have...

when my car is cold, it seems really hesitant and won't go anywhere when you put the foot down.

its also overfuelling quite badly as its really smoky on startup and backfires if given revs in neutral

however, when it's allowed to sit and warm up to operating temp before being driven, its as sweet as a nut.

i have a blowing exhaust gasket, but its not too serious yet...could this be the cause?

i'm used to N/A engines, so blowing exhausts never bothered me before, but turbos use exhaust gasses so it can't be good for it :)

anything else i could check? its recently had new plugs and an oil and filter change.

P.S, all these problems are Off boost...i don't talk it on boost til it's warm :p

cheers ;)

hi guys....been searching thru the Celica forums and can't really find an answer to my question....and i refuse to pay a membership fee to them just to post on their message boards.....

basically wondering if anyone knows much about 3S-GTE engines and common faults they may have...

when my car is cold, it seems really hesitant and won't go anywhere when you put the foot down.

its also overfuelling quite badly as its really smoky on startup and backfires if given revs in neutral

however, when it's allowed to sit and warm up to operating temp before being driven, its as sweet as a nut.

i have a blowing exhaust gasket, but its not too serious yet...could this be the cause?

i'm used to N/A engines, so blowing exhausts never bothered me before, but turbos use exhaust gasses so it can't be good for it ;)

anything else i could check? its recently had new plugs and an oil and filter change.

P.S, all these problems are Off boost...i don't talk it on boost til it's warm :p

cheers :p

now mate if you sent dave or tim a pm @tm developments on here they should be able

to help you they bild theys engines for a liveing they are on the forums home page on here hope that helps :)

I had a gt4 st185 and went through 3 engines. All running standard no mods and all 3 the crank went so i just give up and l sold it as it was lost loads of money since been told of loads of them even the n/a ones with cranks going

untitled.jpg

i do these engines day in, day out lol

give me a PM buddy and i'll talk you through it from start to finish :)

Tim

TB Developments

ps, the 3sgte is a very very good engine, if you keep breaking them your obviously not looking after them properly lol i mean we've had a tad under 1000bhp from a 3sgte and still going strong.

you ran a diagnostic on it?

does the revs raise upto the normal 1300-1500 when cold or does it try and sit around 900rpm or lower?

do you have a vent to atmosphere BOV on this car?

it could be AFM like someone suggested, but then i'd exspect it to overfuel like mad when walm.

It could be something like ECU temp sensor switch, timing off, TPS needs adjusting, base timing, slight airleak etc etc.

let me know the first questions i asked and i'll do my best

Tim

TB Developments

PS, don't mix me up with TM Developments, hahah i've got more 3sgte experience lol

why pm luke when i'm here willing to help :lol:

its not like were going to get any business from this and hes not going to bring it down from scotland for us to sort.

Tim

TB Developments

luke isn't a member on here...

I'm not doubting your here to help, it's just another option/person he can call if he still has problems.