Glanza Vs. Ibiza Cupra..

Right so im getting a Glanza, and my mate is getting a Seat Ibiza (99-02) either a Cupra or Cupra R and reckons it will slaughter the Glanza..

Unreliable old Parkers says..

1.8 20V T Cupra R 3d    7.0 s   140 mph    180 bhp

1.8 20V T Cupra 3d       7.6 s   135 mph    156 bhp

So what do you guys think? anyone faired up their Starlets to an Ibiza?

Ive worked out you can get an extra 25bhp-ish on those Ibizas for about the same costs of getting a Glanza to 150-160bhp..

So it'd look like.. 133bhp vs. 156bhp .. or .. 150bhp vs. 180bhp...

Then factor in weight, handling etc...

Opinions??

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm would be a good race for pretty stock cars.

My mate has a Cupra and my GT wastes it but the GT is 185hp.

You will get better performance per £ though :lol:. Better on fuel, cheaper tax and they feel quicker even if they aint.

My mates Cupra is lovely to drive though

id try carfolio.com for your info/specs etc on different cars.

just jot down the relative power to weight ratio and take it from there, there is no shame in being beaten by something like an 1.8t ibiza, its just an incentive to come back with a few pounds sensibly spent and have a better stab at it.

Phil

I've bantered with a yellow cupra R from standstill, My glanza actually got one car length ahead untill about 70mph. Seems to be routine against bigger engined turbo cars.

Just the other day on a private road, I played with a 200sx 2.0 turbo on two occasions. held him all the way up to 90 then he began to pull past pretty hard to be honest. second time, was rolling in 2nd and like the cupra, i got a good car length ahead untill later on in the gears. i imagine 200sx are dead heavy though.

I reckon your glanza would fair well against your mates cupra. Obviously the 200sx/Cupra driver may not have been excellent drivers. =]

a slightly modified glanza should easily piss it.

my old gt had 155bhp and it used to be exactly the same as my friends LEON Cupra R whoever got the better start then usually kept in front that was right to me 112mph limiter after that it will have probably of gained a good bit.

Yeah i looked at that, it's a bit reassuring...

The Cupra R has a better power2weight but if he's gonna spend more £ for one then i'll just stage 1 the Glanza up to around 155bhp and that should level the playing field..

It's not like we're gonna race on the roads or anything but you know how it is when you're always trying to 'one-up' each other :lol:

a glanza with basic mods will be faster a ibiza cupra, we had our ibiza cupra and the GT at the same time and the GT would pull away, ended up putting a scoda octavia turbo on it (with other supporting mods) and got 235bhp & 256ftp.

there not very good on fuel though!

That's the only annoying thing, is you can get the 1.8T engines remapped so easily :lol:

Yes they can get mapped so easily but its still nice to know even if he gets his mapped the k03 tubro is only good for 230bhp max if you do the odd mod on your glanza 1.3

its still going to give the 1.8T a run for its money and the gearbox's

are shit they explode soon as they get a bit of power into them i know i have 5mate,s that have them and its happend to all of them even golf 18T,s :lol:

Eugh the Golf's are tanks though, even the expensive Anniversary is only 180bhp..

I know the Polo GTi's of the same age are alos built in Spain, and they are very well known for having gearboxes and pedalboxes made of chocolate...

Well standard for standard the starlet wins against the heavy lump 1.8t.

130bhp vs 150bhp

Ibiza with exhaust,map,filter = 198bhp

starlet with same modds = 145bhp TOPS!

Tuned with the same modds the Ibiza demolishes the starlet.

Starlet pushing 200bhp will beat a ibiza cupra but the cupra wouldnt be far behind maybe 3 or 4 car lenths.

thats what i get anyway.

Ibiza's are lovely cars.. very comon.. but very cheap to modd especialy for the power you can get

with only exhaust filter and map!!

All my mates own ibiza cupra's... i think i should own one seeing though i know soooo much about these things..

I hate when every one of them get together for the weekend.. quiet oftenly.. its like a seat meeting.. try to slagg off the jap owner... they laugh because they only spent £1k odds and you spend 9x's that!! for a 1.3...

Id love a ibiza definately fast cars .

End of the day people. starlets are 1.3's fast little cars but the average person isnt gona tune the car more than 200bhp. and well the bigger cars we say we beat.. well no doubt they would be on early stages of tuning and could put alot more power out.. where as the starlets have pushed there limits for internals and so!

im running on a standard ct9 with a slight bit more boost than standard, all stage one mods with a plug and play ecu and i havn't lost to an ibiza cupra yet no matter how modded. there quick and very reactive to mods but with the right tuning starbo's can win anytime

i raced my m8s cupra when it was standard and my glanza had cat back exhaust and they wer identical till around 90 and the cupra pulls. cupras have gold engines and thats wer it stops, the shell is a lot lighter than golfs so dont be thinkin there heavy. cupra r i would think you would struggle a bit with. but keep in mind you can get a 1.8 20v turbo remapped to 200 bhp easily and cheaply

im running on a standard ct9 with a slight bit more boost than standard, all stage one mods with a plug and play ecu and i havn't lost to an ibiza cupra yet no matter how modded. there quick and very reactive to mods but with the right tuning starbo's can win anytime

Sorry mate i seriously doubt you will beat a 200 break ibiza. These cars with minimum tunes are fast.

im a starlet freak but i know when the other cars can win or be beat

well i did it mate i aint lying

my mate had one remaped, cat back etc was pushing about 190-200bhp. i pulled on him in 1st and second and till about 120 he didnt catch me then had to brake so it can be done. that was from a 20mph rolling start by the way

@samwell they are light but still weigh over the ton unlike a stripped out starlet which are much lighter

im nots saying you are mate.

im merely stating that youd be hard pushed to keep up with a 200bhp one.

i mean this in no offence man but a ibiza with. exhaust,filter,fmic,decat,map would more than likely tear the nose off you.

you could be good upto 100.. then the ibiza will just keep going.