What Petrol Do You Guys Use ?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys.

Just wondering was reading in Redline mag about petrol and running the rite type of unleaded.. but what do you use and whats best for the car??

unleaded ?

Super unleaded ?

ETC

?

depends on what car, for glanza/gtturbo run super unleaded as the octane rating over in jap land is higher over there than it is iver here :(

It's a load of bollocks, there was a topic about it not long ago.

The norm is to run Glanza's/GT's on super unleaded because they're imports and the japs use higher octane fuel.

People who say things like they get more power in their UK spec EP91 N/A's from using Shell V power for example are talking a load of crap.

A glanza or gt will be much happier running on 99ron as it's what it is suposed to run... but with an n/a you wont notice bugger all and if you do it's all in your head! :(

Not at all:) And there's plenty of people who'll admit the same, and its not all in my head, I do alot of driving, but what I can't understand is where people say it doesn't, without firsthand experience of that particular car, have you ever driven an N/A on different fuels over a few thousand miles glanza_cl????

Damien

well i don't know what it was running in japan.. but since Ive had it Ive run unleaded.. but that's only been about a month... so do you reckon i should run super unleaded next time i fill up then and give it ago ?

Mainly Bp Ultimate or sometimes VPower if i can find a bloody Shell garage lol. Disagree with everyone saying that it makes no differences on N/As you can tell when you put rubbish fuel in it, it just isnt as responsive and dosent seem happy running on it.

Fifth Gear did a review on Higher Octane Fuels and they proved that the Higher the Octane the Higher the BHP!!

There was a thread showing that the higher octane is better for your engine, even in the NA. If memory serves me right.

I use Shell V Power always.

It is Idrees, some people talk utter bollocks when they say it doesn't, end of the day, it's higher quality fuel, higher octane, better bang. It's simple really, and yeah, it could benefit more if mapped to the higher octane. Doesn't mean to say it won't run better.

Damien

There'll be some compensation in the ECU but otherwise, its a placebo - the increased octane rating means the petrol itself is more resistant to detonation, which as a result means you can run more advance timing to create wider/more expansive flame front on combustion, hence a fuller, more complete combustion. And the ECU won't map itself to achieve that, what it will do is release some timing if it was pulling back if there were some minimal knock detected.

Higher octane petrol doesn't add power, it allows for it

Yeah it only makes sense that your car runs better on higher quality fuel, don't get why people are saying it's a "load of bollocks". :(

I watched the 5th gear review. On the normal small engined car (I think it was Hyundai) the higher octane fuel admittedly made no difference to the BHP iirc, but that doesn't mean to say the car didn't run better!

it might feel smoother and i wasn't saying it didnt make the car feel different but power wise it aint gunna do shit, well it might but once you take out transmission loss, rolling road resistance you left with nothing.

i have driven many an n/a (not a starlet) with super unleaded and normal unleaded and cant say i noticed anything.

everyone has there opinions but in mine unless the car is ment to run on super it doesnt make a difference.

Just to let you know all, Iâ??m a production operator. I work for BP.

the real difference between ultimate/ V power (97/99ron) and standard unleaded (95 Ron) is the amount of aromatic hydrocarbons in it.

It does not matter where you fill up because the fuel comes from the same place. Take Scotland for example there is only one refinery and its Grangemouth. All the fuel is blended and distributed from the same place. The only difference is which filling station it is sent to.

Ideally if your car is designed to run on super unleaded you should or you are just wasting your money.

Another thing is that you should not mix your fuel i.e. half tank of super and then put normal as it can cause a reaction between the different blends and if left for some time the fuel can go stale.

Sorry for the long spiel

Shahzad

it might feel smoother and i wasn't saying it didnt make the car feel different but power wise it aint gunna do shit, well it might but once you take out transmission loss, rolling road resistance you left with nothing.

i have driven many an n/a (not a starlet) with super unleaded and normal unleaded and cant say i noticed anything.

everyone has there opinions but in mine unless the car is ment to run on super it doesnt make a difference.

I never once mentioned there were any performance increases, I merely stated that the car reacted better to a higher octane fuel, and if it's all placebo, explain the extra 70+ miles a tank I get when running super? Telekinetic energy perhaps?

I'll let Toyota know their new Optimal Drive is no patch on my mind power!!!!

Damien

Octane rating relates to how well the fuel burns in a controlled manor.

For example: A 90 RON fuel will burn under control in a standard engine with X compression.

If you then raised that X compression ratio,lets say a high performance engine, the fuel will no longer be within its stable combustion range.. and will tend to spontaneously combust..i.e. det.

But if you put a fuel in the 'high compression performance engine', that would combust stably under those conditions, it would be of a higher RON.. i.e. 99 RON. This fuel will of course combust fine in the standard engine with X compression.

The number just refers to a range of compression or conditions the fuel will combust under.

Mitch

super unleaded and v power are like 97 octane there really good i sometimes go to morrisons in a town near mine they do their own brand super unleaded with 99 octane car loves it i try using that as much as i can lol