Removing Abs - What's Involved?

Hey guys,

I want to completely get rid of the ABS system in my silver Glanza. I know I could just take the fuse out but I want more engine bay space so want to remove the whole thing, what am I supposed to do with all those pipes that come off the ABS pump though?

Cheers,

Idrees

Are the compensators built into the abs unit for the rear or is it seperate? If there built in you would need to sauce some for the rear can't imagin it being hard though. Bet chris/nastyrash 2003 will be able to give you more info about doing it

• 7 months later...

i am in the middle of doing this to my glanza at the moe, i think you find the master cylinder is the same as the non abs, the brake proportion valve is driffernt it has a extra outlet on it, i havent run new lines from the back as theres 2 that are ok to reuse but your have to make up the fronts or take some out a non abs ep82 which i think will be ok.

the only thing i not 100% sure about is if the 2 front lines are T in to one line in to the brake proportion valve

i hope this helps

The compensators just reduce braking to the rear of the car, the 70/30% split. So they need to be in the lines for the rear calipers only, the fronts need to be plumbed direct to the calipers.

can you tell me if u can press the pedal and nothing happens? or aren't you able to press the pedal?

remove the lid of the brake fluid bottle, and pump the pedal until you can feel some pressure. i used this method on my golf and it was ok. (try with engine off, then with engine on) You may even have to bleed the CLUTCH line.

did you replace the master cylinder? if so, could it be dodgy? and it may need bleeding aswell.

Also drain the fluid out and replace it.

Spooky indeed

The compensators just reduce braking to the rear of the car, the 70/30% split. So they need to be in the lines for the rear calipers only, the fronts need to be plumbed direct to the calipers.

I've asked around and I've been told that it's unlikely that Starlets have these as they are only used on bigger cars, is this true? Where can I buy these compensators from?

can you tell me if u can press the pedal and nothing happens? or aren't you able to press the pedal?

remove the lid of the brake fluid bottle, and pump the pedal until you can feel some pressure. i used this method on my golf and it was ok. (try with engine off, then with engine on) You may even have to bleed the CLUTCH line.

did you replace the master cylinder? if so, could it be dodgy? and it may need bleeding aswell.

Also drain the fluid out and replace it.

I'm using new fluid (Halfords 5.1). There is no pedal feel whatsoever. The clutch is bled but I'll do it again, didn't think it would have an effect. You can pump the pedal and feel a small bit of pressure (hardly anything) and try again 2 minutes later and the pedal sinks straight away.

I found a small leak on one of the brake pipes, I replaced the brake pipe but the problem was still there. I fitted a new brake cylinder yesterday, filled it with new fluid and bled all the callipers again. Still do difference.