Spraying interior bits

anyone got any tips on what paint to buy?

i went down halfrauds and they had black, light+dark grey, blue and red. for flexible vinyl paint, i didn't want any of these colours.

does anyone have advise on how to get bits painted? where can i get primer from to work, i don't want it flaking off or anything, most paints are not designed for plastics.

wil be doing centre console, air vent surrounds and clock surround. and I want to do them in white.

Alright lad. Nice to see a EP82 on here. I just put my parts in a basin of water and used a very fine grade wet and dry paper to sand it down.

Then primed it and sprayed it with plasticote white, no point tryin to match up the paint as its a bit yellow at the mo'.

wee tip is to spray the corners and curves first then work your way round the rest. Also spray in a well ventilated area but make sure its nice and warm.

The spray cans work best at 26 degreesC +. Hardware and DIY stores sell really good hardwareing paint. The stuff i used was for sprayin kitchen chairs and stuff.

was the toyota super red 2 paint usual car paint? I was just worried about compatibility with this on plastics instead of metal with it cracking etc.

I'm going for white, which isn't anywhere else on my car at the mo, so not worried about matching it up.

thanks for preperation tips, where did you get the plasticote white from?

i have some grey primer already, but i'm not sure if thats right for doing it white anyway. I'm also going for shed loads of laquer as i want a high gloss finish to it.

yeh innit, but its completely your choice.

All i did was wet n dried the part and sprayed 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint.

but between each coat i also wet n dried so the next coat will stick on and the paint wont go all matt color. And will give a slight gloss to it

Eric

a good tip after wards to get it really glossy is to use some rubbing compound, you can get it from halfords, use a little bit on a damp cloth and rub it in hard onto the dry paint (the paint must have totally hardened for this to work though)... the result with a bit of patience you'll have bodywork glossy paint.

Rich.

• 2 weeks later...

i work for the pain in the arse company halfords. dont buy the vynal pish it dosent work. get plastic primer fromt them in white and then use any couour in cluding the flip stuff if you want (but thats to nedy for me) or if you want a really glossy finnish then give it a good rubbing down with 1200-1500 wet and dry. thats how proffesional body shops get the boot installs looking sweet.

i work for the pain in the arse company halfords. dont buy the vynal pish it dosent work. get plastic primer fromt them in white and then use any couour in cluding the flip stuff if you want (but thats to nedy for me) or if you want a really glossy finnish then give it a good rubbing down with 1200-1500 wet and dry. thats how proffesional body shops get the boot installs looking sweet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sorry mate, i personally think the plastic primer is shite.... it comes off in long strips when you try and sand it... the normal primer is ok. as you say use some fine wet an dry, and some rubbing compound and it'll be shiny as.

you need some fuel, lol

yeah looks good mate, i hear you can change the glossyness of the paint with different levels of laquer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hmm, i havent found a big advantage with lots of laquer, you need a fair amount, but then as above use some fine wet an dry if uve got un even surfaces, and then use rubbing compound. its fantastic stuff. the 3m hand glaze it good too.

Rich.