New Daily Driver, Opinions Wanted

Right guys, I've had my MK4 1.25 Fiesta since I was 17 and I kept it when I got the Starlet as I do a lot of short journeys to work, the majority being down a dirt track so the Starlet is too bumpy and gets covered in crap.

Today I had to do a 4 hour journey in the Fiesta for a meeting with a client at work, I forgot how bad the Fiesta is for motorway driving and my back isn't in a great way right now!

So here's the deal, in a couple of months I will be upgrading the daily, I will have about a £6k budget. I want something sensible, TDI appeals to me as they are obviously great on fuel, and quite nice to drive (if you ignore the noise!)

Here are a few cars that have tempted me so far, but I'm interested what you guys would go for in my circumstances...

Seat Leon Cupra 1.9 TDI 150:

front3.jpg

VW Golf 1.9 GT TDI:

media5.jpg

Audi A3 1.9 TDI 140:

95_1122993557.jpg

golf gttdi appeals to me the pd150 i wouldnt go with the anniversary they will still be over budget with rather high mileage even tho theres not a huge difference.a3's are nice but you will get alot more for your money if you go for a golf or the leon...what about a fabia vrs?or even a ibiza fr tdi my dad has one and its rather quick being a 130 and returns over 70mpg on the motorway

Both very helpful responses, thanks guys.

Well all of them are a very good choice and will hold there value very well, but it would have to be the golf for me :blink:

As much as I agree looks wise, I love the wheels, optional extras and Recaro's, the comment as stated below about it being over budget is sadly true after looking into them a bit more. I think that would've been my personal choice if it was in my price range though!

golf gttdi appeals to me the pd150 i wouldnt go with the anniversary they will still be over budget with rather high mileage even tho theres not a huge difference.a3's are nice but you will get alot more for your money if you go for a golf or the leon...what about a fabia vrs?or even a ibiza fr tdi my dad has one and its rather quick being a 130 and returns over 70mpg on the motorway

I was looking into the 150 before I saw the Anniversary's mate, I always like to have something a bit different which is where the anniversary appealed to me. I need to be realistic though and you're right about them being over-budget, I'm sure they'd hold their value well but I haven't got a penny more than that to spend in the near future.

I will be looking back into the 150's again I think.

Not too keen on the styling of the Ibiza FR personally, does that share the same engine with the Leon 130 though? That could be a possibility as that is great MPG.

The Leon is very tempting, but again it seems all the nice ones are nearer £8k for a 2004 one. They're not nearly as common as the Golf's or A3's either sadly.

Both very helpful responses, thanks guys.

As much as I agree looks wise, I love the wheels, optional extras and Recaro's, the comment as stated below about it being over budget is sadly true after looking into them a bit more. I think that would've been my personal choice if it was in my price range though!

I was looking into the 150 before I saw the Anniversary's mate, I always like to have something a bit different which is where the anniversary appealed to me. I need to be realistic though and you're right about them being over-budget, I'm sure they'd hold their value well but I haven't got a penny more than that to spend in the near future.

I will be looking back into the 150's again I think.

Not too keen on the styling of the Ibiza FR personally, does that share the same engine with the Leon 130 though? That could be a possibility as that is great MPG.

The Leon is very tempting, but again it seems all the nice ones are nearer £8k for a 2004 one. They're not nearly as common as the Golf's or A3's either sadly.

im not sure if they share the same engine il check tho, depends how you look on it if you bought a golf your not gonna loose as much on it when you go to resell but youl get much more for your money with one of the seats.theres golf anni tdi's going for 7k+ with over 100k on the clock, and i doubt the golfs do anywhere near that mpg in the ibiza hes getting mid 60 around town and recorded 72 last week on the motorway, feels pretty quick tbh.

Id either have the Golf or the Leon buddy!! Driven a few Leons through work and stuff and they are very nice to drive. But i Suppose there all kinda the same think underneath so cant be that bad.

Id either have the Golf or the Leon buddy!! Driven a few Leons through work and stuff and they are very nice to drive. But i Suppose there all kinda the same think underneath so cant be that bad.

Yeah, I think that's the most likely choice, the more I look the more that model A3 seems out of my price range too sadly. The ones I had found were 120,000 miles+ which is a bit high for my liking.

I'd take the A3 out of those 3 I think. I like the way it looks (Leon and Golf are getting a bit older) and it probably has a really nice interior, as it's 'premium'. :blink:

2004 Leons can be had within the price range, 2002/3 Golfs too, so still not old. They're all quite nice looking with respectable interiors imo.

Golf 25th anni all the way!

Can't mate, can afford the 150 though, gonna edit the OP now.

£6k for a daily ? :) :) Id be using the Glanza as a daily and seeing what i could get for £6k :blink:

You tell him G!

£6 K = E V O L U T I O N

Serious Bill I'd get a cheaper runner :o

Joz

Yea I meant the design was getting a bit older. But in the end they're all more or less the same, so it's more up to which one you like I guess. :)

Gotcha, I see what you mean, and agree that they're all very similar cars!

£6k for a daily ? :o :o Id be using the Glanza as a daily and seeing what i could get for £6k :blink:

Glanza just isn't right as a daily, and I still love it for the time being, I see no need to get rid at the current time. Perhaps when I get this the novelty of the Glanza will wear off, who knows. I feel that Starlets have a feel about them that no other car I've driven has, I've always driven modern cars and wanted to get back in the Starlet afterwards.

i will get an automatic golf/A3 :o

HAPPY DAYS! lol

Still too young for an auto sadly, it'd bore the life out of me!

You tell him G!

£6 K = E V O L U T I O N

Serious Bill I'd get a cheaper runner :o

Joz

Valid point Joz, what do you think I should be looking at? I don't want to spend more time standing on the side of the road waiting for the recovery truck to arrive than driving it. I only have this budget as my original idea was a MK4 Golf and for nice ones (150's) they are in this kind of price range!

A3's are just 'premium feel' golfs and also with a premium price. Not worth the extra money tbh, and there really just posers cars.

Anup

I have been looking around and I'm quite suprised how good value they can be had for at times, admittedly they're the higher end of 6/7k but they're low mileage minters with some nice added extras.

id go with a golf gt tdi 25th anniversary, always loved them :)

Already crossed that one off the list for now dude I'm afraid, too much money for too little return.

I would go for something at half that price. A fairly basic Golf TDI Mark 4 or even a VW Bora. Although I hear that the Golfs are better on fuel? Most Golfs have over 100k on them mentioned but you can pick up a nice Mark 4 for around 3k IMO. You just need some patience and to look in the right areas. There was a TDI 130 iirc like the one you've pictured. Lower than 100k and sold just under £3.5k. Could gave gone to him before the eBay auction ended and picked it up for £3.2ish IMO. 6k does seem a bit much for a daily. Oh sorry, I forgot that you're made of money! :blink:

Idrees

Leon is by far the better looking, followed by the A3 and the Golf doesnt really do it for me unless its an Anniversary which would be out of your budget.

But yea they are pretty much the same cars really.