Installing A Corolla Mani On A Sportif...

after reading a lot of stuff on here about changing the mani, i decided to go ahead and install. from what i read, it sounded really easy. this is not true!

all was going well.... i unbolted the front bracket, and unbolted the fuel rail to get to the nuts and bolts on the mani its self.

i went ahead and unbolted it, then tried to remove it... no luck.... turns out theres another bracket on the back, which is an arsehole to get to... (in the end me and a freind attacked it from below and removed the bottom bolt of the bracket.

all was then looking good. i put the new mani on, (had to leave the brackets off because they didnt fit with the new one) went to put the fuel rail on and lost one of the rubber bits... then dropped one of the plastic mounts in the same place!

BASTARD!

some one needs to make a pictured how to! its too late for me to do it now... and it would have been a how not to do....

ciao,

Nathan

Where do you live if you're local I'd do it for you but I'm guessing you're miles away. Seriously it's an easy job that can be done in 40 mins with basic tools.

You don't need to take the fuel rail off, aslong as you've got a half decent socket set it's easy, you don't NEED that bracket either, the only vital thing is having a little bit of pipe to reach the air sensor.

im in wellingborough, Northants... ive gotta order a new fuel rail mount (i lost one) and a new rubber that the injectors sit on... i tried to bodge it with a couple of "o" rings, not a good idea as fuel pissed out in the engine bay, lost about half a litre of fuel.

what do i do about all the fuel that sparayed all over the place? obviously i cant jet wash the engine bay, shall i just leave it a while to evapourate?

im losing hope on it, but its a small hickup! and as my mate said, "you gotta learn some way or another" lol

shame i couldnt find a how to?!? :/

oh... by the way all the hoses are connected up correctly :)

You don't have to make anything up for the throttle cable just bend the bracket a bit and it's fine.

It's a really simple job, if I end up doing it on my new Starlet I'll do a how-to.

checked everything over, found that all the seals are split on the injectors ;) so i went to toyotas and asked to order some of the rubber mounts that the injectors sit on and some o rings for the top where it sits in the fuel rail. the guy told me i was better off getting some o rings from halfords or somewhere as they will be cheaper! so got the rubber mounts ordered and they will be ready for collection on tuesday.

cant wait to take her for a spin, got MOT next month so will be looking for advice on changing the front and rear disk pads, and anything else i find. also think my tappets are gone, so my mate who was an mechanical engineer for the MOD said he would do them for me and do the cambelt while hes in that region lol :)

cant see anything going smoothly though, im that unlucky!

just make sure you have all the tools lol, i think its alot easier to get to the bolts and nuts on the mani with the fuel rail off as theres not a great deal of room to play with as it is, but as i have discovered, there are consequences. also on the mount/bracket on the back, i found it alot easier to pop it on axle stands and attack from below due to the lack of movement and the evil angles.

how do yo get to the nuts and bolts with it on? theres not a great deal of room with it off! i tried with an extension with it on and the ratchet was hitting the mani... without the extension the socket wont reach?!? will take pics of what i mean when i get the rubbers fitted on weds!

so... made some progress today :) fitted the new rubber seats from toyota, and replaced the O Rings (all in the dark lol) and everything was nice and tightly sealed! tried starting the engine and it just kept turning over :/ then took the keys outta the ignition and checked in the engine bay. I could hear the injectors still ticking :) so.. i unpluged all of the injectors and they stopped, then checked it all over with a torch....

turns out i had left the earth off on the back of the manifold! so i temporarily atached it to the nipple that the vac sensor hose attatches to and fired her up! she coughed a bit at first but then idled nicely :(

fuel was super low as i had lost her whilst messing around :/ so took it easy to the petrol station and gave her £5 of premium (just to test things out so i dont lose so much cash) after shed warmed up, i decided to give her some throttle...

i think something needs adjusting

1st it made a metallic deep vibration noise

2nd it did not pull as it should have

any ideas?

Sure its all bolted down nice and secure?

pretty sure... i tried moving it and it moved the suspension if you know what i mean?

i dont have the brackets/braces like everyone else?!? mine wouldnt fit!

i have the sportif TB still on there as i was uneasy about all the pipes etc... and the accelerator cable is attached to the mani using the black rubbery mount?

can any of this be the cause?

^^ any pics this is getting complicated now.

will get some pics asap, bit dark now lol! will i need to adjust the throttle cable? it seemed about the same as before but theres a little slack on it :/

deffo will post piccies tomorrow after work :)

Pull your glovebox out, pull the Plug out of the ECU, leave it for 15 mins. Then plug it back in, let the car idel for 5 mins and take it for a test drive!

That's what I did, and I didn't come across any problems. Have you checked the MAP sensor? You need a longer hose that goes from the new manifold to the MAP sensor on the firewall.

hello fella, sounds like u in a bit of a mess. have u got a boost or vac gauge to hand. im thinking not. also this manifold limits and reduces top end hp (this is y thy used it to bring down hp and insurance grouping on the corrola), but gives better lower down torque off the line, thr is a better manifold the glanza turbo and corrola hatch 93 1.3 4efte and 4efe, these manifolds with slightly longer plenum chambers and shorter inlet runners have less lower down torque but still allow bigger top end hp, and put together with the corrola stock 4 into 2 into 1 exhaust mainfold and slightly advanced ignition timing can hit 100hp, a fuel presure boost valve and extrenal coil also helps. I did this mod on lees starlet and lit his face up on test drive, (just edited this cause i made a boo boo).

hello fella, sounds like u in a bit of a mess. have u got a boost or vac gauge to hand. im thinking not. also this manifold limits and reduces top end hp (this is y thy used it to bring down hp and insurance grouping on the corrola), but gives better lower down torque off the line, thr is a better manifold the glanza turbo and corrola hatch 93 1.3 4efte and 4efe, these manifolds with slightly longer plenum chambers and shorter inlet runners have improved lower down torque but still allow bigger top end hp, and put together with the corrola stock 4 into 2 into 1 exhaust mainfold and slightly advanced ignition timing can hit 100hp, a fuel presure boost valve and extrenal coil also helps. I did this mod on lees starlet and lit his face up on test drive,

That's wrong, the Corolla manifold gives better top end compared to the standard one.

hi

sounds like you turned a simple job into a major mess . i have just done the exact same job with no hassle ,there is no need to remove the rail or injectors , i found enough room to work socket/rachet handle behind mani &i don`t have little hands either . i fitted mani &T/B & retuned gained 5 kw = 6.7 hp , i now have 80hp ATW. ea mod is getting me closer to the magic 100hp ATW

sorry to hear you had a disasterous up-grade, hope you get it sorted soon

lyle

hmmm... didnt get home till after dark, so no piccies yet! will try get some tomorrow. can someone tell me what brackets they used for the new mani? neither the fron or rear brackets fit from the old one, and i only have the rear from the corolla which is also too small :)

does anyone live in northants that could assist me at the weekend? lol

is the "MAP" sensor the one above the brake cylindar thing? lol it says vac sensor on mine :/

i got a piece of tube from toyota (free) to connect that as it was too short :(

is it easy to tighten the throttle cable?

i will go over to the garage shortly and check it all over and disconnect the ecu... im guessing theres only the 1 connector for it?

cheers guys :) really appreciate the help!