Last night i went out to see a mate

was driving normal without getting the v on the boost.

Then when i left 10 mins later i gave it some welly

stopped at a red light

on the green light when to floor it again & no boost !

Had a look in the engine bay & all pipes are connected, no leaks anywhere.

The boost gauge will only hit the 4 psi.

No turbo chatter or dump valve noise.

My brother in law has have a few turbo cars (evo 2 & 300zx twin turbo)

He thinks it could be the actuator stuck.

Any other ideas

Cheers guys

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rofl at people just saying the turbo is gone ^^;

most likely a clip or something mate, actuator etc. mine was like that when i first got it, didnt boost at all. was the circlip on the actuator.

if the turbo was 'gone' you would have some noise, smoke etc from it. it wouldnt just stop, thats almost impossible based on the design.

Why do people insist on giving crap advice? There are numerous reasons that this may be occouring before you suggest something like that.

Hopefully it's something simple mate, have you got a FMIC? I have thought my piping was all fine sometimes and it had popped out ever so slightly which was causing a similar scenario.

Any advice will help.. thats what we are here for :) not to start haveing digs at one another about who give's the best advice.

My mate's Glanza done the same thing as this guys Glanza and it was the blades on the turbo it was just my opinion to try and help the guy... like i have alot of people on this forum :)

check all your pipe work again, can you hear a leak?

if the turbo feels hard to turn it could (key word could) have had some oil starvation. but check everything simple before you resort to sending the turbo off to be checked out.

Got the turbo off today

Blades are still intact but very hard to turn

Is this a sign of bearing problems

You didnt have to take the turbo off mate to check the Blades....Firstly i was one about the intake compressor wheel not the exhaust turbo turbine.

Topic cleaned, if you don't have anything useful to say on this topic then don't bother posting.

It is sensible to always check the easy things first, in this case check the actuator is connected, check all intercooler pipes are ok and leak free and that the vaccuum hoses are connected properly etc

If the turbo wheel is hard to turn then it could be seized - the bearing may be damaged, but it's not always best to jump to conclusions. I agree with checking the simple things first.

Was doing a decat & porting wastegate anyway.

Was shitloads of exhaust carbon in there.

Gave it a good clean with Gunk

Actuator moves quite easy

Got the turbo plades to move quite east too.

Will get it all back on the car tomorrow & will be checking all the pipe work

Hopefully this will of fixed the problem.

I drained all the oil from the sump as im doing a oil change while its in bits

noticed the oil was black & very thick

Maybe to thick to reach the turbo

As kierz stated (oil starvation).

Will let you all know the outcome.

i dont really agree with this thread being cleaned to be honest. i feel that if someone is handing out poor advise then they should be called out for it. but hey moderate as you see fit

if there was a lot of carbon build up at the back of the shaft head and around the piston ring area it can cause it to seize up. but the only way to really solve that problem is to strip the turbo fully down and do a full rebuild and balance.

ps mickey you can apologise for your ignorance towards me by pm if you feel that way keeps your pride intact

If the oil is very bad that's not a good sign -my original turbo basically welded itself together due to oil starvation becuase of the oil feed being blocked (after a garage did a very bad job changing my cylinder head). Hopefully once you have some fresh oil in yours it will be ok.

Let us know how you get on once it's back to together though

i dont really agree with this thread being cleaned to be honest. i feel that if someone is handing out poor advise then they should be called out for it. but hey moderate as you see fit

I was nipping it in the bud before it went to far with insults already being thrown about.

As I already said it's best not to jump to conclusions when looking for a problem but it's good to have a range of opinions/problems to check for when looking for a solution.

if it's been left that long that crap oil has starved the turbo, then it doesnt really sound like the engine's been looked after particularly well.

might be worth checking everything over, and changing as much as you can, refresh all the fluids etc.