• 1 month later...

Since getting the Honda SMX as a daily driver, I'm spending some time on the GT. Engine is almost out for some TLC.

Will be changing the water pump, thermostat, timing belt, crank oil seals, engine mounts, exhaust mani and generally tidying up the bay and protecting from corrosion.

I picked up a pair of these for added comfort. Need to figure out how to adapt/modify the gt rails in order to fit. They came out of a Proton Satria and have no rips or fag burns. Need a good clean but all in all, a bargain at £80 for the pair.

02092010162.jpg

never realised your part of the AHD clan haha.

your car must have been registered in the same year as mine.

your lucky having one less didget on your plate to shorten it down. a free mod that.

cars looking properly sorted.

image1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've stripped out the rear and painted the floor.

Now in the process of making custom rails for the seats, relocating battery, rehanging radiator...the list keeps getting longer!

A moment of inspiration lead me to paying a visit to metal supermarket to purchase 6 metres of 1.5" CDS tube to make a 5 point roll cage. I'm hoping to spend no more than £150 on materials so not too expensive. With the aid of my trusty manual hydraulic pipe bender I hope to get it right first time!

Will be modelling the main roll hoop in CAD first to give me the best chance of getting the bends correct.

Watch the space for photos!

• 2 weeks later...

Small update...

The engine is out ready for some TLC.

Parts arrived from camskills on Tuesday.

Manifold and turbo gaskets

Thermostat

Water pump

Crank oil seals

Timing belt kit

Engine mount poly bushes

Drop link poly bushes

Made some progress with the seat rails. The drivers rail is preassembled in situ. Now need to tack weld the rails in position and remove to get fully welded. Then it's just a mirror image for the passenger rail.

SDC15192.jpg

Spent a bit of time stripping the rear and painting the floor. Making way for the roll cage!

SDC15197.jpg

Decided to relocate the battery so made up a bracket that utilises existing captive nuts. Need to splice into and extend the positive battery cable next. Should hopefully look neat and tidy when finished.

SDC15198.jpg

More progress this weekend!

Eventually finished the drivers seat rail and seat fitted

SDC15201.jpg

SDC15207.jpg

Attacked the engine bay today.

Removed the battery tray to clear some space. Going to make up a plate to bridge the engine mount bracket back to the chassis leg for added support.

Started by removing everything from the front and sides, leaving the fire wall as it was.

Clean, scotch pad, degrease, body schutz then gloss black. Happy with how it turned out!

SDC15204.jpg

SDC15205.jpg

SDC15210.jpg

SDC15211.jpg

SDC15213.jpg

SDC15214.jpg

SDC15217-1.jpg

Good days work

• 1 month later...

Looking good jezza i see you have got the new minifold on :thumbsup: How's it copeing? also did you have to trim abit of the intercooler pipe on the hot side, the bit that bolts to the turbo just it looks abit close to the manifold?

• 5 months later...

Sold to a guy from Fife so not too far away. Might get to see it up at crail in future.

Sticking with the family bus Honda S-MX for the time being until I decide my next move!

Still happy to be a trader on here and my entusiasim for Starlets hasn't died whatsoever!