Track Car Ideas

me and a mate are looking to get a track car for the summer just looking for some ideas from you guys on what to get.looking to spend at the most 2.5k weve came up with a nova valver, 1600 nova on 45's etc, a 205gti 106 gti or a 172 clio found a few for under 2k and a fair bit of power to start with.

it wont have to be a complete track car just looking for something thats gonna give us some fun for the summer anyone got

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out the ones you listed, i would go for a stripped clio 172

x2 i had 1 at one point, put a full -60mm gmax shocks and springs kit on it and no word of a lie it handled just as wel as my impreza and thats got 1700quid of coilovers on it!

I`d get a 70/80/90 series EP (below £1k) strip the fcuk out of it, throw a standard FTE in (£500) spend the rest on suspension/belts/seats (around £1k left to play with) and your on your way!!

what about a little mk2 xr2? i know a guy selling 1 very cheap. its far too mint for just a track car tho!

they are awsome fun i used to have 1 it was pretty quick and brilliant fun, shame it ended up on its roof in a park:( lol4286063961a7396797473o.jpg

4286063961a7396797579o.jpg

wouldnt be looking at a scooby or the likes too expensive if it goes wrong,i feel id need to spend alot on a gt to get it to a suitable power level and the only thing that puts me off the 172 is that its a good bit newer so im guessing parts will be more expensive...than a nova, 205 etc.

as you said charlie taht does look rather clean hadnt thought about xr2's not usually my cup of tea tbh but il mention it to dave.

ste:how mush would you be looking at for a base car and an engine?

thanks for the input

Early import scoob defo. Cheap as chips these days ,as are the parts :)

my dad had a scooby and done a few track days in it theyr great in a straightline but he constantly complained about the brakes being poor and it didnt handle anywhere near as good as his nova track car he had a few years before.looking for something light weight being able to brake later and a more even weight dis would count more plus it be better lapping scoobies in a sleeper.the nova he had was only a 1.6 8v but gave everything a run for its money 162whp the 8v number plates pissed a few people of aswell lol

Early import scoob defo. Cheap as chips these days ,as are the parts :)

How about a ren 5 gt turbo they are so cheap on parts,and easy to fix.they also handle well and at 15psi will be pushing around 160bhp which is reliable at that level of power

B18 EG as Ste said :)

yeh i like the sound of it just not sure how much it would cost, would want decent sus,brakes,wheels and probably a cage dont know if id get that within budget

Totally agree with the EG comments, they own all round circuits.

Cant you buy one already track prepped? or is the whole point because you want to actually build it?

ive been looking around and theyr around the 4-5k mark done although they have had alot done to them,found a standard 1.5 for 600 so would 2k get me the rest of the stuff id need?

i wouldnt mind building it tbh got plenty of people that would be able to help.

2k should get you a B series engine and plenty of change to spend on the chassis.

MeisterR do a big brake kit for around £250, plenty of different coilovers available, etc...

my mate is selling a valved axgti, but too mint for th track to be honest, personally, i'd go for a 205 gti, my old track cars are all them, either a throttle bodied mi16, or a carbed 1.9, 1.6 box, one of the best handling track cars you will get, even standard they are awesome