Noob 98 1.3 Sportif Owner

Hi all...just bought a 98 1.3 Sportif with 105k on the clock. The intention is to use it as a night navigation rally car, and so far it hasn't disappointed - nice and revvy, 2nd & 3rd gears pretty close and quite short, so it looks like she's got all the credentials.

First project is to get her past the MOT again - theres not much to worry about except maybe sourcing some parts. The radiator internal fins are in flitters so first project is a new rad....wheres the best place to source OEM standard parts? Also looks like the sump is badly corroded so might need to source one of those too.

Once we have her road legal the motorsport modifications will begin.....all and any advice appreciated :)

welcome buddy

here is the right place to be if you own a starlet, im sure most of the traders can sort you out with what you need or if your not too fussy about having 2nd hand parts the classifieds and breaker section is the place to look,

you'll have to get some pictures up for us

here at uksc we loveeeeee pictures :)

lol sounds just like mine, bought it with similar miles and fucked rad, I advise you to change the rad ASAP becsause I ended up overheating the engine and bought a new one.

If you're after a sump though I'll have one for sale soon if you want it?

Welcome to UKSC. :)

Cheers for the welcome, pics to follow shortly.....she's not much to look at! Dodgy metallic turquoise green with a few choice bumps, but for £340 its hard to go wrong...

Where do I find a what parts the traders stock? Found the GBR sub forum but can find no mention of a radiator.

I'd looked up fleabay but am always reluctant to shell out biggish money on stuff that I don't know the background on...any advice or experience on using the likes of

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-STARLET-1-3-1...92?cmd=ViewItem pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item439f8f6ffc?

I think we'll need a sump sooner rather than later, we're going to attack the current one with a screwdriver shortly to test its soundness - the chances of it going pop are quite high so it'll be off to the local-ish jap car breaker. Would a Corolla 4EFE sump fit? Or an older (93/94) Starlet sump?

On the car...its a nice runner, we think theres possibly an air leak which is making it run a bit lean and develops a slight stutter at high revs after its been thrashed and the temperature goes up (because of the fooked radiator)....so that leaves a good chance to put on a Corolla inlet manifold as we try and find the leak and replace gaskets.

On another query, theres a blank electrical fitting hanging around the front bumper that seems to be related to the headlight loom - did Toyota leave the loom in for the optional front fog lights? this would be dead handy if it is, means we can wire the spotlights in tidily.

So much to do, so little money to do it with.....if this all needs to go on another forum let me know...

Hi I'm Aquascrote's wee brother, Phil. :o I'm the one currently workin on the car. I'll be putting a new radiator in on Saturday all being well. Hopefully that will solve the overheating problem. I had a closer examination of the sump and removed the rust. It seems solid enough so I've treated and painted it. Here's a photo of the car. :p

DSC00336.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just to update this for the craic....

Work to date (mostly courtesy of navrallystarlet):

New radiator

New radiator cap (don't ask)

Lots of time spent re-tapping and boring sheared bolts round the front end and all bumper bolts because these cars apparently arent designed to take apart (presumably because they don't break)

New pads on the front, brakes serviced and bled all round.

Set of 14" Mk1 MR2 pepper pot alloys with some Yoko rubber

Set of twin 7" spot lamps on custom brackets - just slightly over engineered in 5mm plate steel to the point that they could probably be used as towing eyes.

Rear seats mostly removed, 2 4 point harnesses sourced.

Still to come:

Either bucket seats or a set of decent seat covers, dependant on price and whats available.

Possibly a new exhaust - standard or otherwise. Does anyone in NI have a spare middle section and back box lying about??

Front strut brace.

Dash to be customised to suit mounting of rallying timing clocks, rally odometer, map reading flexi lamp and map reading poti magnifier 12v feeds and switches. Might go the whole hog and put a starter button and emergency kill-switch on for the laugh.

Possibly some stiffer springs or a custom built sump guard.

Some minor bodywork to dress up an existing repair to the passenger side sill.

Photos (she's not a looker and ignore the greasy hand prints)....

38351_10150212592530694_544505693_1.jpg

38351_10150212592535694_544505693_1.jpg

38351_10150212592545694_544505693_1.jpg