Failed my MOT on saturday; which is wank for a start. I couldn't take the car in either so my dad did it for me; and said that the tester reckoned I'd done a de-cat (which I haven't) which has caused the emmissions to be high.

The only mods I've done that may have effected the emmissions are:

K&N panel filter,

Corolla inlet manifold,

TTE Backbox.

If anyone has got any idea what could have caused this please let me know, as the car sailed through it's MOT last year. Any comments will be welcome. Otherwise I'm gonna have to shell out the best part of £100 for a new cat on saturday! Thanks - James

my mates got a racing puma and its failed on emissions so the teccy told him to take it for a good rag to get the cat hot and clear it out guess what it passed lol if that fails phone a friend I've see car with no cat go through mot because they use a diffrent car to test the emissions on.

I think your tester was being arsey James!

Good advice like Teggy says, maybe your cat is pure filth!

I wouldnt blame the other mods, also even if your tte box was blown it wouldnt make much difference.

But agreed does suck when u have to retest!

Its even stricter over here mate so count urself lucky!

Hope u get it sorted Shanks!

Peace Out

J :unsure: z

Hey mate my car sailed through MOT but it was hard to get thru emmisions due the Dual exhasts lol

First thing i would do is check and see if there is actually a cat on there!!! BUT as you say you havent put one on there but it went thru MOT last year :unsure:

Might be worth trying a new lambda sensor. I have failed a few cars with high emissions, tried a new sensor, and sailed through. depends entirely on the car though. you could try a 2nd hand one if money is a bit tight (no guarantee it will work with a 2nd hand one)

Erm, haven't really noticed to be honest; but been driving the car less recently anyway so I wouldn't really know. At martinjkent, the backbox was 2nd hand mate but could that really be causing such a big difference in emmissions?

How can I test to see if it is this sensor? And what are the chances that it could be this thats the problem over the cat? Haha I have next to no knowledge in this field by the way!

He may be blaming high emissions on hollowed out cat, but as somebody said up high, heat the cat, they work best when hot (helps the chemical reactions along), I know somebody(on the Paseo fourm) with throttle bodies failed the emissions, my money is on,...

Cold cat (low performance)

Cold engine (more throttle, thus more air, air/fuel mixture possibly a bit rich too)

K&N (lots of cold)

So put the old filter if you have, give it a nice cup of hot co-co, wrap it up warm and send it off for it's MOT

But I could talking out of my rear! :unsure:

Right, looks like the lambada sensor was knackered, as well as the cat. So, i'm having to pay the best part of 300 quid for these two parts - wank. But this problem has only occurred since the corolla inlet manifold was fitted; so is this the cause? The Earth wire was never put back on the manifold but put somewhere else instead. Apart from this the manifold was put on exactly how it should have been. Anyone have any thoughts?

yeah, i had to pay 110 quid for the new lamda, your cat may n ot be buggered... get them to emmissons test it after replacing the lamda.

and a turbo cat wont fit the n/a.

You're probably already sorted but I had the same problem with my MR2.

I used it at weekends...sometimes only once or twice a month so it sat for long periods. Took it in for an MOT and it failed on the emmissions, the unburnt fuel emmisions were sky high.

So I took it for a spin for 10 mins, cranked the boost up to 1.65bar and let the car have a good run.

Drove back to the garage and the unburnt fuel emmissions were well within limits...problem was the burnt fuel emmissions were rising alarmingly (my 2 was rather modified) so the tester just stopped the car before it rose too high and passed it B)