Experience Needed

Hi there all as you can tell i've only just registered to this site and this is my first post. Im on the brink of buying a starlet glanza v. Just waittin for the rite one to come along. Just wondering if there is anything perticular i should be looking for? Not being experienced with imports im relying on the seller not bulls**ting me which is not a good position. I've done as much research as i can on tinternet about the car but any extra things i may have missed would be great. Faults, noises, regular problems with them. Unfortunatly i havent so much as sat in one yet so im hoping i wont be disapointed. Cheers chaps

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grade 4 and above are the best tou can buy,but some may advertise as grade 4 and it's not! If it looks tidy drives well,remember to get the engine fully warmed up,then it's probably a good buy.Take someone who knows cars well or failing that use the AA or RAC to do a check on it money worth spending! Never trust a seller! If possible buy from an enthusiast rather than a garge. :unsure:

Firstly get an insurance quote -- I did the whole elephant quote thing for a 95 GT turbo valued at £5800 and the same mods as my Glanza and got a great quote... then when I actually went to insure it as a Glnaza nobody would recognise it so my quote doubled!!

You can ignore the whole grading thing, yes its used in japan but the specific grades mean vastly different things depending on what auction it came from, so realistically just base your inspection and decision on the state of the car now, the condition of it, how it drives, how it feels, how it sounds etc, a previous grade from like ages ago has no relevance to how the car is now, plus as i said, it could mean many different things.

for those reasons, you need to go with someone who knows what they're looking for. either someone who knows glanza's very well (and as such will know what they should feel like) or an experienced individual who can check the car over generally to make sure its good.

where are you located? there might be someone on here that can help if you're local.

Yeah i was about to say is there anyone kind enough to come along and have a look see when i go. I live in tamworth. Quite eager to get things going with it because as far as im aware i have not seen one of these cars about and wouldnt mind being the first. As much as i dont like doing it i've been looking on ebay at them and froim what im gathering its alot less of a ball ache if you just buy one that someone else has imported. There advertising some really nice ones that are still in Japan but there looks like there's many underlying cost and time consuming things to do. Perhaps if there is anyone remotely local to me there would be as kind to take me for a drive in one. Id understand if not being a stranger and all that. Cheers chaps, very helpfull

Yeah i was about to say is there anyone kind enough to come along and have a look see when i go. I live in tamworth. Quite eager to get things going with it because as far as im aware i have not seen one of these cars about and wouldnt mind being the first. As much as i dont like doing it i've been looking on ebay at them and froim what im gathering its alot less of a ball ache if you just buy one that someone else has imported. There advertising some really nice ones that are still in Japan but there looks like there's many underlying cost and time consuming things to do. Perhaps if there is anyone remotely local to me there would be as kind to take me for a drive in one. Id understand if not being a stranger and all that. Cheers chaps, very helpfull

yeah you've got the right idea, if you're new to it then importing one for yourself may be a little complicated, plus there's alot of shit that can and may go balls up, its the luck of the draw.

I may be selling mine soon so you're welcome to take it out, but i've no idea where tamworth is, which leads me to believe that its nowhere near bristol <_<

Yeah tis abit far to be fair. How reliable is the engine itself? Im sure i would put a few toys on it so how well does it handle more boost? Normally small engine and big boost = Problems but maybe not in this case. Again, im a noob so correct me if im wrong. There's one on ebay at the moment, its white and i think it has the TRD body kit on, just a shame its a CAT D. Bit too far for me to travel to have a look though. Has anyone ever put there's against a Civic Type R? My Pug GTI can keep up with em so just trying to get a feel of how quick Glanza's are

Has anyone ever put there's against a Civic Type R? My Pug GTI can keep up with em so just trying to get a feel of how quick Glanza's are

I've heard from quite a few people that they easily keep upto them in their Glanzas/GTs, and i think the Starlet Turbo has more torque than a CTR standard < As it says on www.toyotagtturbo.com

i went in a CTR last week. apparently it had been "tuned"

didnt impress me one little bit. in fact, i think that my GT would have pushed him up the road if we were racing. i had to pretend that i loved it though.

NeilH

i went in a CTR last week. apparently it had been "tuned"

didnt impress me one little bit. in fact, i think that my GT would have pushed him up the road if we were racing. i had to pretend that i loved it though.

NeilH

Haha, i quite like them cars but never sat in one. I think theyre well over rated though..

Guest Stevie_B

glanza:- clutch wear, sump(check for oil leaks) gearbox etc any leaks get money off price. Just general checks that apply to all cars really, Although smoking turbo would show that seals possibly need done( expensive). Make sure there are supporting fuel upgrades if it running high boost, if 1 bar with no other fueling mods walk away!

Insurance:- was on the same boat as Lobotomy, got the car, took me two days to insure it, if your young, dont expect it to be cheap. <_<

S.

glanza:- clutch wear, sump(check for oil leaks) gearbox etc any leaks get money off price. Just general checks that apply to all cars really, Although smoking turbo would show that seals possibly need done( expensive). Make sure there are supporting fuel upgrades if it running high boost, if 1 bar with no other fueling mods walk away!

Insurance:- was on the same boat as Lobotomy, got the car, took me two days to insure it, if your young, dont expect it to be cheap. <_<

S.

Naa im 24 with 3 years no claims so im hoping it wont be too bad. All im waiting on now is to seel the car i have now and i'll be away!!! Just cant get the ball rolling fast enough, cheers fro all the advice though chaps

• 3 weeks later...

What do starlet glanza's normal rev at on idle? Went to see one this weekend and in sat at 1.4 thousand revs. Just wondered if this was normal or down to a modification. It had a drop down intercooler. The other thing is is there alot of difference between high and low boost mode? Tried both and didnt seem to notice a difference. Just wondering if it had been bypassed, cheers chaps.

P.S I have fallen in love with em. Brought a big smile to my face ha ha

that is deffo not normal!! mine ticks over when warm at around 800rpm

at low boost, only 2 green bars should come on, on your dash when boosting. when high boost is on, 3 green bars should appear in anything after 2nd gear if i remember rightly. if its been removed, then 3 green lights will appear in all gears.

yeah, if you dont remove the restriction fully, then i think its still restricted to 2 lights in first and second on high boost. i could be wrong though! it was nearly over a year ago that i removed my high/low boost lol