Putting cams back in

Hi guys

took my head off the other day and had to take cams out to get to the head bolts. just wondering if you can put the cams straight back in roughly how you took them out or if it needs putting in precisely in a certain way and a certain point. dont fancy putting the cams back in putting the engine back in the car and completely ruining the engine because the fuellings all messed up by dodgy cam set up lol

any advice pwease :)

got the be timed, for safety, it's 100% worth doing. set the engine to TDC for piston 1 and then use the timing marks (be careful not to mix ups the timing marks with the installation marks, they look similar).

As above bud, to get tdc whip the spark plug out, and i normal put a bar down the spark hole and sit it on the piston, then crank the engine by hand with a 19mm rachet on the crank pully till the bar is at its highest (tdc) then line the timing mark on the crank to the arrow on the cambelt cover, just above the crank pully. Next install the cams making sure the three dots on the inside of the cam gears run in a straight line (horizontaly) this should also put the 4e hole on the cam belt gear in line with the notch on the cam cap closest to the gear, and ta da all timied in, pop the belt back on and tension the belt back up. On a side note tension the cam gear too as it prevents a rattly top end, its easy if u used a service bolt and its a bitch if you didnt, untensioned gears cause no harm just is a tad clicky wen the engine runs :) let us know if you hit any problems bud.

Also my be worth getting the timing checked by some one with a timing gun as the dizzy can drasticaly alter the timing so is important to check that properly dont just guess however that said the car can be driven to a garage etc to be checked, it wont blow up if the dizzy is out :)

Have you looked at the videos over on TGTT, shorty pointed me in that direction as i need to do my timing and was misunderstanding what people was saying without pics, im pritty much sure it will tell you step by step how to do it and all the torque settings aswell :)

Heres the link:

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showth...gine-assembly-*

Youll have to look through the videos to find where hes fitting the cams tho lol

I doubt that ^ very much. I had no clue about that so called serice bolt thingy and i dont have a noisy head.

ok mate, well tell me why toyota say u need to do it? its ment to tension the inlet cam gear. i forgot to put it in when i put my cams in and it was noisy, took the cams out again, put the service bolt in (with great difficulty lol) put the cam in and it was fine.

Personally i wouldnt leave it un tentioned.