been after a shortshifter for a while now so my next purchase will be one but in preparation i wna make sure i get a good one i see trd on rhdjapan

what Are the trd ones like and how much of a diference between gearchanges etc, would people recomend one of these or is it a waste of money

same again with c's are they good whats better trd or c's?

also people with trd do you think it was a good mod?

Im not sure which one i have, it was on the car when i bought it, Rich bought it back in the day in a group buy :S

Loads better than standard as ive driven with mine and my mates OEM, mins is alot shorter and so much better all round.

Defo worth it dude :)

make your own!!!!

How to build your own Short Shift Kit

Why would you do it?

Well the main reason you would do it is to have less travel between gears. This theoretically allows you to change gears faster, and makes it more comfortable in racing conditions as you do not need to move you arm as far.

Another reason some people do it is purely for the looks, where the gear shifter sits considerably lower compared to the standard height.

How do you convert your standard shifter into a Short Shift Kit?

Well a lot of people believe that if you cut the top of your shifter down, and thus making it shorter will make you a short shift kit. This is not the case. All you are doing is making it a lot more difficult to change from gear to gear as you have less leverage.

What needs to be done is to actually move the pivot of the shifter higher, so that there is more throw at the bottom of it. If you are confused still, then look at your existing shifter, or an one of the photos provided. The pivot point is the large metal ball in the middle of the shifter. Now if the bottom half is shorter, it would make the top part of the shifter move a long way to change from gear to gear and vice versa. This is why we make the top part of the shifter (where the gear knob goes) shorter, but also the bottom half of the shifter longer.

Steps to build your own Short Shift Kit

â?¢Remove your shifter from the car, and unclip the cables connected to it. To do this you will have to remove the centre console plastics, the gear knob and anything else that may be in the way. There are 4 10mm bolts holding the housing down to the chassis.

â?¢Remove the stick from the gear shifter housing. The top lid will be able to come out, which will allow you to remove the stick itself.

â?¢Put the stick upside down in a large vice. Clamp it as tight as you can.

â?¢Heat up the ball with a portable gas blow torch. This will allow the metal ball to relax, the epoxy glue to melt and make it easier to move the ball because it is pressed on.

â?¢Place some washers on the gear shifter so that they sit on top of the ball then place a metal pipe on top. With all that in place, use a large sledge hammer to start knocking the ball down. Make sure you keep a close eye on how far it has moved.

Note1: It does take some force to move the ball. It would be easier to use a press to achieve the same result, however not everyone has access to one. Same principle applies to the press, except instead of using a sledge hammer, you use the press to slowly move the pivot ball.

Note2: You should be able to move the ball 76mm before it starts to run out of a spline. This applies the EP82, EP91, Tercel and Paseo shifters.

Note3: Some people have mentioned that the ball wont move. If it has a spline on the shaft, then the ball was pressed on. If that is the case, it will move however it would require more force. There is also an alternative method that you may use if this does not work. Apply the steps â??Steps to Shorten the height of the shifterâ? on the bottom half of the shifter, and instead of making it shorter, make it longer. You only need to make it longer by approximately 12 mm.

shifter4.jpg

Example of where the pivot ball once was, and where it was moved to.

â?¢Once you have done that, you have effectively made a short shift kit. However some may choose to shorten the shifter itself.

Note: Shortening the shifter itself will actually make it harder to change gears, as you donâ??t have as much leverage and will require more force. I personally left it as is but itâ??s up to you.

â?¢Depending how far you moved the ball, you may have to space the entire housing up by 5-10mm so that it clears the chassis.

Steps to Shorten the height of the shifter

â?¢Using a grinder and a cutting wheel, cut down the middle approximately how much you would like it shortened by. Usually, 1-2 inches should be more than enough.

â?¢Using a welder, re-weld the steel back on.

â?¢Clean up the welds using a linisher or a grinding disk.

â?¢It should now be ready to start assembling it back into the car. Add a tiny bit of grease on the ball to lubricate it. I used just normal wheel bearing grease for mine.

Example of a modified shifter in the standard housing.

shifter2.jpg

Example of a midified shifter fitted to a Starlet.

shifter3.jpg

Note: This article may have been copied from another website and revised to better suit the Starlet community. If you are the owner of the original article and would like us to remove it, please contact me via email with the subject "Remove Article" and i will remove it from this website as soon as possible.