• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

I think this is due an update. Okay so we have competed in two more lanes rallies since the last update. the Springfling and the Summer Lanes. I have some in-car footage from the Springfling so I'll get it uploaded at some point. Heres a few photos from the Summer Lanes event though.

IMG_3851-vi.jpg

IMG_3853-vi.jpg

IMG_4083-vi.jpg

IMG_4295-vi.jpg

The sump just about survived, so a guard is next on the to do list.

DSC00902.jpg

The link below is a video from the event. We feature in it at about 6.27

Modification wise, there has been a few changes.....

new tripmeter with remote zero unit and shrowd

DSC00910.jpg

DSC00912.jpg

Fly off handbrake with custom wooden block :)

DSC00890.jpg

Also fitted a set of reclining buckets

DSC01073.jpg

DSC01071.jpg

Rigged up a way to carry two spares

DSC01072.jpg

And removed the bump strips on both sides and the "toyota" and "Starlet" stickers from the tailgate

DSC01068.jpg

DSC01069.jpg

Thats about it. She's still going strong and is booked in for MOT in coming weeks and doesn't need anything for it.......yet. Fingers crossed :p

I've missed this thread so far. looks like SOOOOOO much fun haha i wanna do this. I've only had a quick skim through the pics and stuff so I've maybe missed alot of the writing. Is this all you use the car for ? if so are there rules against stripping it out completely ?

Russell

Yea that is all we use it for. At the start we had stripped out as little as possible so that it would be easy enough to put back together and sell on. But she's for staying, so plans are to continue stripping the trim out. We also compete in night navigation rallies which can last through the night so the heater and some sound insulation has to stay.

Wicked read :) bet you was gutted to lose that TTE backbox, spent about 3 months trying to find one and didn't have any luck, got a remus in the end though!

Bad choice of words there by my brother. We didn't actually lose it. The hanger broke mid-stage, and it was bouncing about on the rear axle. So it was unbolted and lay in the back of the car for the rest of the event. Back on now though. We are lucky it didn't get damaged.

Got an MOT cancellation, so should be legally back on the road this evening.

i may have to do this . get a banger and do it . whats the rules and regs on this please. ?

Basically so long as its road legal you can enter. If you go to the link below it gives the regulations for an upcoming event we are competing in. There are different classes as with any motorsport. The endurance class means the car has to stay almost unmodified and all trim must remain in the car. But we enter the Navigation trial car class which means we can strip a bit more out.

ALMC Endurance Rally Regulations

• 3 weeks later...

Update.

So I stripped more of the rear trim out to allow access to the rear arches. then drove her 70miles up the road to a mate who fitted a rear cage. Collected her on Thursday night past only to find the hoop was quite close to my head as I drove it home. So I spent yesterday making a new seat subframe for the drivers side. The original one that came on the buckets was made with 10mm think mild steel. Totally unnecessary. I built a lighter frame and took the opportunity to lower the seating position about an inch to give more head clearance. Managed to get it fabricated, painted and fitted yesterday. Also removed the front seat belts to save a bit of weight now that they are surplus to requirements. Also removed rear wiper and motor.

We have an event in two weeks, so just have to get a sump guard sorted and we will be sorted. :thumbsup:

Photos....

DSC01080.jpg

DSC01082.jpg

DSC01111.jpg

DSC01112.jpg

DSC01115.jpg

DSC01109.jpg

The original brute

DSC01116.jpg

DSC01121.jpg

DSC01131.jpg

DSC01124.jpg

Token MOT shot....

DSC01081.jpg

Had her out at a local quarry last night just to check the handbrake still worked. Didn't look too dirty in the dark, but woke up to this, this morning...

DSC01132.jpg

Can't believe I missed this thread!

Must be so much fun! The footage is awesome to :thumbsup:

Would love to do something like this, have you got any more plans for it? :thumbsup:

Cheers, not sure what the plans are now. Just sumpguard, new camera mount, possibly better timing gear and then just use her and get more good footage. There is a momo steering wheel lying here that my brother bought for it, but it needs restitched before its used.

Cheers, not sure what the plans are now. Just sumpguard, new camera mount, possibly better timing gear and then just use her and get more good footage. There is a momo steering wheel lying here that my brother bought for it, but it needs restitched before its used.

Are we not puttin the steering wheel on till it's stitched?? News to me...

Would also like to source a strip for the top of the windscreen - something Toyota or Castrol (for some Tote motorsport heritage) if possible - does anyone know where we could source something like that?

Spent last 2 days making a sump guard. Problem with these cars is the front pipe hangs low and there is no great place for mounting it at the back. But we took some inspiration from the Paseo Rally car build on here and used a similar design/method. It was an awkward job with a lot of guess work and welding in place under the car, but another job down. Pictures speak louder than words.

DSC01135.jpg

DSC01136.jpg

DSC01140.jpg

DSC01144.jpg

DSC01145.jpg

DSC01149.jpg

DSC01150.jpg

DSC01151.jpg

DSC01152.jpg

Now thinking of a possible change of colour for the wheels. Our metallic bronze turned out rather brown, so looking something non metallic and....well....in your face. Red?

• 2 weeks later...

So yesterday we drove about 90 miles down to North Dublin for an endurance trial. A multi venue event which consists of various special stages at different locations. After only one stage we hit a sturdy gate post in a tight section. Along with the cosmetic damage it bent and twisted the wishbone. Two stages later we bottomed out in a quarry and pushed the sump guard up against the front pipe which gave up a huge blow out at the manifold. But we hammered on and completed another ten stages before driving the 90 mile home again. Proof that these wee cars are bullet proof.

DSC01187.jpg

DSC01189.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Couple more photos of the Dublin event post-damage. I like to think of the lack of wing as a weight saving feature (all about the power-to-weight....). Still boot to the board round an old quarry, very good fun :p

3.jpg

6.jpg

17.jpg

Got a new wing, wishbone and some clear indicators earlier this week and were back on the competitive trail last night for a Navigation Trial - 3rd in Class which we were delighted with, hadn't done a Nav since February and we were pretty rusty.