Anyone ever passed an MOT without your CAT on?

Hey sparky where is your uncles garage, is it close to Swansea? will he mot mine, i just dont want to get messed around by some garage who hasnt got a clue, seems there are quite a few!!

100% Any import that wernt sold in the UK dont need a Emissions test on a MOT. I would put my mum and dads house on it.
100% Any import that wernt sold in the UK dont need a Emissions test on a MOT. I would put my mum and dads house on it.

It does need an emissions test, but doesn't need a cat.

This seems right enough about there not being a match on their system, just had my mot done earlier today, it gets some kind of default test where the emissions have to come under a certain level, mine just passed with full td04 kit and decat

Not true, NO 4EFTE engine came in a UK spec car.

Yes there are EP91 UK spec Starlets but there are also EP80 UK spec Starlets too :D

No just looked it and asked my local MOT testers and they say all 4EFTE engines are imported the only engine that is in a UK spec is a 4EFE, unless this is modified to a EFTE engine then its different.

Plus been told if its a grey engine you dont need a cat test

Yes all 4EFTE are imports, whats your point?

Thats what we are saying, because they are imports, the engine is not on the database and therefore cannot be put through a full emissions test as they have nothing to compare the results with with.

And what do you mean by grey engine?????

aint guna read the whole thread but my 2 pence is this, my car is a 95 gt and the garage that did it put it thru a basic idle test as theres no uk equivelant on the database. and the garage were STRICT!!! they passed my car on its emissions but failed it for having a magic tree hanging from the rear view mirror.

lol that made me laugh then, failed for a magic tree ha ha, i wonder if that went down on your MOT failure sheet :D

aint guna read the whole thread but my 2 pence is this, my car is a 95 gt and the garage that did it put it thru a basic idle test as theres no uk equivelant on the database. and the garage were STRICT!!! they passed my car on its emissions but failed it for having a magic tree hanging from the rear view mirror.
lol that made me laugh then, failed for a magic tree ha ha, i wonder if that went down on your MOT failure sheet :D

yup

182737_10150091324973285_508838284_6477300_6505270_n.jpg

and note it failed on emissions till i pulled them up on it and they realised there mistake

This has been covered before, The car will only need an idle test or non cat test as its equipped with a 4EFTE not 4EFE, if the tester doesnt have the engine code in the books under starlet he cant tell what the readings are ment to be.

I have put many 4efte equipped imports through mot with no hassle on aftermarket turbo and systems.

Gary

still not taxed it but it is i guess. ive done a total of 30 miles in it lol. runs great its hard to keep it off boost, it just spools so easy!

im going to take it for a proper geometry setup so before i do i decided to fit new track rods and ball joints and i noticed one cv boot was about to split so i will get that changed first.

Bah my MOT headache continues, it seems mk 2 GT owners seem to be just outside the "basic idle test"

i just read this table on TGTT from monkfish that the MOT test stations use

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showth...ommon-questions...

my car was first registered 1/12/1995 and registered in the uk on 3/5/1996

this looks like it has to do the basic cat idle test, now i cant fit my cat on anymore with the TD04, wont it fail easy now that it wont go basic idle?

bah, anyone know any local garages in Swansea that will put it through!!

it just seems hit and miss to what garage you take it to for an MOT, im just gonna ask them before i hand any money over what emissions test they think it needs, otherwise its £40 down the pan!

U saw this a way back too. Have some apprehension about mine in june
  • 2 weeks later...

MOT is tomorrow so good luck to me eh!

If your car is pre 1996 N reg it wont be in the system as a 4efte which means that they will have to do a default test which is fairly easy to pass :wacko: