HELP!!! Is my engine on it's last legs??

Hi, I'm really worried that my engine is on it's way out and i'm aware that there is a significant problem but i have no idea what it is, so what better thing to do than to put a post up on here!

Basically, i noticed my car has been a bit smokey on idle last couple of weeks so i've kept a close eye on it and thought my turbo oil seals were worn. This weekend, however, i have noticed a rich oily smell from the exhaust fumes and the exhaust is popping and banging lots! So i took my car to my friends to see if he could shed any light. We checked the intercooler pipes to see for any oil from turbo and it looks dry as dry can be! Also no oil coming out of dump valve, so therefore i figured it probably wasn't oil seals on turbo.

So after some research i thought it could be valve stem seals so i'm booking it into a garage this week. When i left my mate said it was very smokey, like a blue smoke when driving off. And later that evening i went to get some shopping in and it took a while to start, turned over for a few seconds longer than usual! And the engine was very spluttery and totally unresponsive almost like a misfire! I'm extremely worried about this problem, can anyone shed any light? ;)

Thanks and sory for the essay

Joe

Guest tubby_ep82

When you rev the car, Does it sound like subaru And missfire with lots off white smoke ? , All so When you drive the car does loose in power ?.

Regards

Hi, I'm really worried that my engine is on it's way out and i'm aware that there is a significant problem but i have no idea what it is, so what better thing to do than to put a post up on here!

Basically, i noticed my car has been a bit smokey on idle last couple of weeks so i've kept a close eye on it and thought my turbo oil seals were worn. This weekend, however, i have noticed a rich oily smell from the exhaust fumes and the exhaust is popping and banging lots! So i took my car to my friends to see if he could shed any light. We checked the intercooler pipes to see for any oil from turbo and it looks dry as dry can be! Also no oil coming out of dump valve, so therefore i figured it probably wasn't oil seals on turbo.

So after

some research i thought it could be valve stem seals so i'm booking it into a garage this week. When i left my mate said it was very smokey, like a blue smoke when driving off. And later that evening i went to get some shopping in and it took a while to start, turned over for a few seconds longer than usual! And the engine was very spluttery and totally unresponsive almost like a misfire! I'm extremely worried about this problem, can anyone shed any light? ;)

Thanks and sory for the essay

Joe

Could be a number of things really. Could well be piston rings if it take a while to start and its puffing blue smoke. If you have a compression tester you could tests each cylinder for compression then put a slight bit of oil down the bore and test it again. If theres a good difference in readings then its most probably rings. I think im right in saying that but if not im sure ill be corrected ;)

Thanks for the feedback. It doesnt really sound like a subaru, no. But its always sounded a bit tractorish due to being a straight through custom system.

Gonna do a compression test later on so i'll post the results up on here.

Thanks again

Joe

OK peeps, so here's the latest.

Did a compression test earlier after taking the car out for a drive for 5 mins (moderately warm engine)

The results were = 145psi across all four! ;)

The car seems to have stopped miss-firing and spluttering but i am still puzzled as to the source of the problem

Any feedback appreciated

Thanks, Joe

i have no idea about the smoke issue. all i can think is oil seals on turbo. but that doesnt explain the spluttery missfire. argh its annoying not knowing! bloody starlets!

dont think its water in spark plugs or change of fuel.

thanks

joe

Sounds like its running rich to me hence it takeing some time to start (flooding)

Have you though of changing the lambda sensor? it could be worth a shot also if you use vpower i think that always has an oil smell to it anyway.

ok so i think i might be running a bit rich (2.9bar on rrfpr) at only 0.6 bar on hybrid

but this is only until i get her on rr. so any ideas on the blue smoke though?

joe

ok so i think i might be running a bit rich (2.9bar on rrfpr) at only 0.6 bar on hybrid

but this is only until i get her on rr. so any ideas on the blue smoke though?

joe

The blue smoke could be lots of unburnt fuel that looks blue its that rich lol..infact its that rich its soaking your plugs with fuel thats way its takeing sometime to start..I would try and get it running spot on and go from there if you still get the blue smoke after its running right then maybe look at piston rings ect.

right so i took her out for a slow and careful drive earlier. no smoke at all til she warms up and then 10 minutes later lots of whiteish blue smoke on idle and when i blip the throttle i get a big clump of thick oily smelling smoke. also the miss fire is completely random comes and goes as it pleases! its not to.bad at high revs but pretty bad at low revs e.g. pulling away from a slow roll in 2nd. what i dont get is that shes making 145psi across all cylinders on a warm engine and ive been getting 450-550 kms per full tank of v power.

any help much appreciated thanks

joe