The Legislation: Section 59 Police Reform Act 2002 states that -Where an officer has reasonable grounds for believing that a motor vehicle is being used in a manner which contravenes Road Traffic Act Section 3 (Careless Driving) OR Section 34 (Driving elsewhere than on a road) AND also the manner of use of the vehicle is causing or has been causing or is likely to cause, alarm distress or annoyance to members of the public, Section 59 can be used to:-initially give a written warning (valid for twelve months) (commonly called a Section 59 Notice) and on a subsequent occasion to seize the vehicle. (it will probably end up in the crusher, or may be ransomed back to the owner) A constable in uniform has the power to order the person driving to stop the vehicle, to seize and remove the vehicle, to enter any premises on which the officer has reasonable grounds for believing the motor vehicle to be and to use reasonable force. Seizure can made only if a warning has been given, or believed to have been given, or if a warning is clearly being ignored. So, usually it's a two-stage process -a warning or notice first, seizure if you persist or repeat.

dont drive like a dick - simple

then you dont get them lol !

i got mine when i slipped on the snow in the impreza and ended up going round and round in tight circles. . . . . . honest, i slipped! :p ;)

dont drive like a dick - simple

then you dont get them lol !

Not true, i got a section 59 in my old n/a for having window tints! Work that one out.

But yeah unless they give you some paperwork on the spot then i doubt theres a lot they can do to prove it to be honest.

i apparently have one of these from when i got caught speeding. found out about it when i got randomly stopped the other week when he was checking my details over. i never received no paperwork for mine...

I recieved one about 5 or 6 years ago when I had my Nova. I might have been speeding and I might not have seen the Police car behind me. He looked over the car, was satisifed it was all legit and then we sat down in his car where we discussed what had happened. He was alone without a camera and had no evidence about my alleged speeding offence, we settled on me doing 45mph in a 30 and never saw anything more of a section 59 again. No post, no visit, nothing.

tbh i thought they had to issue them to you there and then, i got one on my first car for overtaking an undercover golf on double white lines, they chased me down and stopped me but because they were off duty they had to call another unit to come and issue me with me, so i wouldn't worry!

I had one about 18 months ago in my old civic beacuse my wheels screeched! Pissed me off though beacuse I bought a LR Defender 90 after that, which meant I had to be careful if I got caught off-roading some where I shouldnt be, but hey, I shouldnt be there any way so I suppose I cant mone.

Jamie