Paseo Remote Central Locking

The Remote Central Locking is the bain of our lives, especially if you are the type who does not have a clue when it comes to these.

Yes sure, they lock and unlock your car at ease, but when they stop working what do you do?

What if I go to unlock the car and it does not unlock.. and the little red light does not flash on my keyfob?

The battery has most likely died on you. To rectify this, the keyfob has one little screw at the back of the fob, this can be un-fastened with a small set of screwdrivers from Christmas crackers (yep - they come in extremely handy). The battery inside can go often, or not at all in your ownership. You can pick these up from any shop these days (Asda, Sainsburys, Morrisons, Wilkinsons, Tesco etc etc) and it may need to be replaced every now and then. Just pop the back cover back on and pop the screw in and tighten. Jobs a good'n.

What if I go to unlock the car and it does not unlock.. and the little red light does flash on my keyfob?

This is a problem I faced around a week ago. Whatever you do, don't unlock it with the key. As soon as the door opens the alarm will sound and even starting the car up makes no difference. Just stand outside of the car, lock with the key and the alarm will stop. Press unlock, lock, unlock, lock, unlock, lock etc etc until the lights flash. It has a little weak point every now and then (then again, it is 15 years old after all) and you can motor on.

What if my alarm keeps going off at Stupid-O-Clock in the morning?

A number of possibilities here.

• If you had the sunroof open and forgot to close it, bits and pieces fly in and trigger the interior alarm.
  • If you have not used the car in a while, your battery is going flat. The sensors will then stop working and the alarm will sound as if someone is trying to have your car away. The energy used to sound the alarm often forces your battery to go flat.
  • If your battery is poor, it will fail to sensor the interior and thus the alarm is sent the message that something is breaking the sensor bounds. The alarm will sound and kill your battery.

Why doesn't my car lock with the remote?

First of all, check to make sure the doors and bootlid are shut, if not, shut them. It should then work.

Secondly, is the light flashing on your remote? If not then see above about the battery in the fob.

Thirdly, if the light flashes, keep trying, it will gain signal again.

My Paseo doesn't have a key fob, why not?

All UK market Paseos came with remote central locking. So you should have a little two button remote with a Toyota logo. If not, and you just use the key, it is easy to get a keyfob programmed. A seperate topic for the programming can be found in the resources section. Back around 3 years ago my aunties Paseo keyfob packed in, so for her birthday my mum got her a new one and had it programmed by Toyota. It cost her £75. Don't fret, it wont cost you that much. You can find old keyfobs laying around in Toyotas at the breakers yard. They will all work providing they are the same as the picture at the top. It is just a case of following the seperate guide to Programming the keyfob. If you don't want to mess around with it yourself, always try your local Toyota Dealership and ask for someone to "re-programme" it for you.

Here are a list of cars that share the same keyfob:

Toyota Corolla

Toyota Celica

Toyota Starlet

Toyota MR2

Toyota Carina

Toyota Camry

Toyota Previa

Toyota Sera

So if you see any of those in the breakers yard... check the glovebox, ashtray, floor, ignition etc and pocket any Toyota fobs you can.

I would like to order one from Toyota and have it programmed into my car, what do I do?

Go to your local dealership armed with the part number for the keyfob and ask for it to be programmed too. They might sting you in cost but... what doesn't these days?

Part No. : 08191-00880

Sam.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a problem with my central locking and also my remote. First problem is that my central locking does close both doors when I turn the key in the drivers door. But when I open the drivers door with the key, the passenger door stays locked and I have to open it from the inside.

Second, the car won't open with the remote key fob. It closes it just fine. But no response when I want to open it. It's almost as if the doorpins are too heavy for the system to lift up! I know that's probably rediculous, but does anyone recognize this problem or know what to do?

By the way, my '96 EL54 Paseo doesn't have an alarm.

Where are you from mate? All UK models have an alarm. It could well have been the previous owner had this trouble and unplugged the alarm siren so they can lock with remote but unlock with key. It sounds very strange though, never come across this sort of problem before, only the ones above.

I'm sure someone with more electrical knowledge will be along shortly to tell you what to check.

Could well be an aftermarket alarm TrisK. Most Toyotas, from the 90's in the UK, had the one I pictured above.

nope its not, i have an aftermarket alarm fitted. but my car came from japan with no fobs at all

no matter how hard i tried, i cant find a replacement fob for the after market alarm, as it is japense only, and now out of production

i then noticed i had the rear view mirror sensor so i then ordered that single button fob from toyota. and reprogrammed it to my car