Removing old suspension

Hi,

Im trying to remove my old shocks from the front and rear of my N/A.

I can get the top mounts undone but i cant seem to move the bottom bolts.

I have tried using a bit of wd40 but that dont work.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Shahzad

a really good gun will probably take them off but not a cheap one. as said above soak em in wd 40 then heat the nuts up and then get a 2 ft breaker on them. these bolts are a right bastard. last time on my car i tightened them finger tight because i still had to go back n put a shaft in and went back the month later and had to use the breaker to crack them off lol

damn man, can't be that hard. WD40, Wire brush it. Bang a 19mm socket on or what ever size it is.

Gently put a torque wrench on, and apply force after saying bismillah al-rahman al-rahim, while someone makes sure the socket doesn't slip off. Thats been working for me lol

If you were closer I would have offered to help you

The best way to go about cutting it without making a mess is to cut the top of the nut, then chisel and hammer to either knock it round or off, otherwise you risk damaging your strut

Also try putting a jack under it all to lift it up and take the weight off the bolts

If all this fails you FAIL!

Putting too much power into the rust bolt is going to ruin the bolt or snap it.

WD40 is useless. WD40 is a lubricating oil. It works for light rust and has many other uses, but it does nothing in terms of seized bolts.

Penetrating oil is one option.

Another method is freezing the part, this will make the parts contract and break the rust seal. I saw a freezing thing at Eurocar parts a while back. I haven't personally tried it but it should work too.

And remember, if you heat it you don't want to heat the bolt much instead you need to heat the area around the bolt where the coils will be so they can expand, expanding the screw is not going to do much.

(At your own risk )

A desi method we use is set it alight with petrol(My dad used this method on old Imports).

Just be prepared to put out the fire should it get out of control.

Right. I managed to get the front shocks and springs off. The back one are still on and stiff as hell.

Im either going to get a blowtorch or im going to cut them off with an angle grinder.

• 4 weeks later...

I used a ring spanner and a hide mallet. Just keep hitting the spanner in the same place with the same force. Concentrated force/power aim for the bar in between the spanner heads (If you know what I mean?) as close to the end as possible... If you are going for the freeze method, go to the plumbing section in B&Q Freeze kit spray. £12. Good luck, hope this helps. I'll be changing mine fully in the next week or so, just replaced the back with standard springs temporary as one broke.

Sweet

I used a ring spanner and a hide mallet. Just keep hitting the spanner in the same place with the same force. Concentrated force/power aim for the bar in between the spanner heads (If you know what I mean?) as close to the end as possible... If you are going for the freeze method, go to the plumbing section in B&Q Freeze kit spray. £12. Good luck, hope this helps. I'll be changing mine fully in the next week or so, just replaced the back with standard springs temporary as one broke.

Sweet

just get a bigger bar! anything will come undone with the right leverage! if not then heat! Freezing what that all about?????