My 5 Door Tropicana Turbo

Would firstly like to thank everyone here and at TGTT for all the wealth of information which made this conversion possible.

This project started in Winter 2010 when I decided to buy a 1999 5 Door Tropicana Starlet S with the intention of building a sleeper turbo. The car is still in progress but it wasn't until June 2011 when it was actually drivable, so it took about 6 months to complete the conversion and get a running, drivable car. This was due to other commitments and funding issues as well as the car being parked on a driveway 15 miles away from my house.

Spec list so far:

ToyoSports FMIC with custom piping

Aircon removed

Air Filter relocated to grille

Magnecor 8mm Ignition Leads

JapSeed Cat-Back Exhaust

GReddy eManage Blue Piggyback ECU

Dezent "F" 15" Alloy Wheels with Hankook RS2 Tyres

Stainless Steel Manifold

Boost controller, currently running at 11.5 PSI / 0.8 BAR

Aftermarket Tachometer because my N/A didn't have one!

Walbro 190LPH Fuel Pump

Parts to fit:

Stainless Steel Decat

Heatrange 7 NGK Spark Plugs

A Picture says a thousand words, so here are some of the build as it went along. I didn't get a opportunity to capture some pictures due to the eagerness and excitement of the moment.

imag0111j.jpg

When I bought the car. Pretty much sat like this for much of winter.

img9124i.jpg

Getting some work done.

img9128f.jpg

The 4E-FTE going in.

img9201u.jpg

The 4E-FE going out.

img9205t.jpg

4E-FE out.

img9146z.jpg

Shiney Shiney.

img9190o.jpg

Bolted on. Looks really out of place with the standard bumper.

img9238k.jpg

State of the car during the project.

img9242p.jpg

Wiring the loom in progress.

img9894j.jpg

Hhmmm.. What could this be?

img9903x.jpg

No bonnet scoop, no problem!

More to come soon of what the car currently looks like. Alot tidier now :thumbsup:

Edited by s1fu
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ooo i like sleepers :) love the idea of someone going for an overtake thinking your just another noob with a big exhaust n thats it n then bye bye lol

keep up the good work man

Russell

How the car stands now.

img0109ut.jpg

Still needs tidying.

img0110elb.jpg

FMIC was pretty much a perfect fit.

img0121gg.jpg

Piping abit messy.

img0129fm.jpg

Exhaust sprayed black with high-temp paint. Alot more stealthy then polished chromey shiney steel.

img0116h.jpg

Behind shot.

img0117gv.jpg

img0118zq.jpg

Side shots.

Before anyone mentions it. Yes... It needs to be lowered a tiny bit and be put on new wheels! :)

leave it looking pathetic and put a fast car magazine sticker on it or something, will make the exhaust look even more novelty :) looking out of place looks even better. wish i didn't have to make a cut for mine. :)

sleeeeepers ftw!

Thanks for all the comments guys.

This is awesome! More pictures please?! Any more plans?

TBH, Funds are low right now so it may stay like this for a while. Still a very fun car to drive though :)

Intercooler sprayed black aswell will be good

I was thinking about doing that since the FMIC doesn't even get warm when I push it. But I was thinking after a remap and turning the boost up, that might change.

Thats a fucking nice sleeper!

I love sleepers! Don't lower it and leave it on wheel trims. Just get wider wheels for the rim.

I like the look of how it is right now but grip and handling leaves me no choice :) When I'm accelerating and giving it the beans, the front end lifts a good few inches and the wheels just spin. They also don't make very good tyres for 13", the nexen n2000 seems like the best at that size.

I like the look of how it is right now but grip and handling leaves me no choice :) When I'm accelerating and giving it the beans, the front end lifts a good few inches and the wheels just spin. They also don't make very good tyres for 13", the nexen n2000 seems like the best at that size.

should try out a set of oem toyota wheels from a paseo or glanza, no-one will tell the difference from factory plus they'd be cheap to get hold of :)

liking this alot. as liam said just get some wide steelys with some kerbed toyota trims on them haha.

You could get an anti lift kit to stop the front end lifting and give ya a bit more traction. or go all out and buy coilovers but keep them high lol.

Russell

Thanks for all the comments guys. Anti-lift kit, good idea Russleh, I never thought about that. That may be the last mod I actually do to the car.

Unfortunately, I think I've now lost interest and motivation. Due to other things being higher priority at the moment, I don't think there will be any updates soon.

I'm also thinking about selling the starlet and going back to my old car (6N1 VW Polo) which is currently SORN but all the time and effort put into the starlet makes me want keep it. :)