On answering your question Ryan, not many people on here with the 4efe have ever found out there actual bhp before or after mods.

The only way to find that out is on a rolling road/dyno or a gtech or similar gadget.

Mark Edwards on the site has just had a motec mapped on his 4efe with just the corolla manifold and is awaiting a power figure.

Just to let you know that even if you have a 100bhp 4efe, it doesnt mean an awful lot besides possibly better economy and slightly more pulling power where its needed although you would be much nippier than standard 4efe starlets.

If you want to get near 90 or thereabouts I would recommend the corolla tubular manifold, removable decat or high flow sports cat, possibly a full ss exhaust from cat back, iridium spark plugs and performance leads and a BMC CDA Carbon Airbox or similar with cold air feed pipe. If you wanted to take it a step further then a piggyback ecu or full ems would easily take you further with these mods.

The lightweight crank pulleys that we will get made will make the engine not work as hard at the crank so although it won't make a huge difference in power it will surely help because the less effort the engine has to make, the more power it can deliver.

If you are thinking of a performance exhaust manifold then the only way is custom as there wasnt one made for the 4efe, but your low end power will ultimately suffer, so driving at low revs in town and on uphill or long stretch motorways will be a pain unless you open the throttle more. Just to let you know that even with the performance exhaust manifold, it might not make much difference as there needs to be some power in the first place for the manifold to take advantage of at higher revs.

To be honest I would stick with the stock exhaust manifold and get the new exhaust system done.

Talk to Dave (nordonian) as his current ss system is doing very well for him with stock mani (as it was designed to be restrictive to give consistent low down torque) one centrebox and removable decat, he seems to be very pleased with the results. A 100% freeflow exhaust is not what you want as you will lose some backpressure and ultimately have next to no low end torque.

To get the extra power you would have to sacrifice a few things without turboing and even then it won't be enough as the 4efe is a small low power rev happy engine.

So you can see there are only so little gains for the money that you might be spending. I speak from experience.

J o z

untitled.jpg

i thought if you had these mods;

4efte inlet manifold and throttle body

cold air feed induction

bigger injectors

rising rate fuel pressure regulator with the air fuel ratio setup up

and a decat exhaust with a performance back box

you shud make good power

has anyone had a rising rate fuel pressure reg in there 4efe?

Hey Ryan, assuming you have those bigger injectors on your car. Do they give any noticeable difference to the 'oomph' of the car, so to speak?

Also, how much more fuel do they make your car drink compared to normal?

Cheers man

Hey Ryan, assuming you have those bigger injectors on your car. Do they give any noticeable difference to the 'oomph' of the car, so to speak?

Also, how much more fuel do they make your car drink compared to normal?

Cheers man

If you put bigger injectors in and still run the stock ecu, all you'll do is flood the engine and lose power not gain it.

Riteo, so MUST combine bigger injectors with a better ECU then.

Got it :lol:

Even with a completely modded engine, there's no way you'll need larger injectors in these cars. Once i've got hold of a laptop i'll let you know what duty cycle my injectors are running at, but i bet it's still quite a low percentage. Some people have this weird idea that more fuel equals more power, if the extra fuel isn't matched with extra air, then you'll lose power. As a general rule, the leaner you can run it the more power you'll make.

Ah ritey, think I understand it a bit better now :lol:

In my defence am a young 'un and still very new to the world of modifying cars, so still naive and don't know a lot of things.

(and learning though, slowly :lol:)

Ah ritey, think I understand it a bit better now :lol:

In my defence am a young 'un and still very new to the world of modifying cars, so still naive and don't know a lot of things.

(and learning though, slowly :lol:)

You'll not need to touch your fueling unless you put in high lift cams maybe, then the stock injectors will still be large enough, you'll just need a better ecu to control them properly. The only way you'll need larger ones is if you slap a turbo on it.

if you had the ecu from the JDM version and the JDM injectors they would work swimmingly

Agreed as it's mapped for them. The JDM injectors on a UK ecu would flood the engine and the UK injectors on a JDM ecu would run dangerously lean i should think.