hi,

my car seems to be making a loud chatter sound since i put my K&N on? it still makes the dumping noise but the chatter is louder. a mate said that if the chatter is louder than the dump then it could be air escaping back through the turbo and this can cause the turbo blades to crack?

does anyone know about this? its worrying me?

cheers nick

Yep it's the air rushing backwards through the compressor blades of the turbo -- In high boost applications like race/rally/drag cars this can lead to the thrust bearing to prematurely wear and possible wear on the compressor blades but from the people who I know who don't run BOV's (including me) haven't noticed any reduction in turbo life.

Yep it's the air rushing backwards through the compressor blades of the turbo -- In high boost applications like race/rally/drag cars this can lead to the thrust bearing to prematurely wear and possible wear on the compressor blades but from the people who I know who don't run BOV's (including me) haven't noticed any reduction in turbo life.

i take it yours does it then? my mates starlet doeasnt do it so i thaught there was summin wrong wif mine. makes me feel better that you no bout it? do you know what causes it to rush back through?

when you close the throttle the pressure has nowhere to go but back through the only hole in the system ie the bov or back through the turbo if you don't run one.

i have a dumpbut it still does it? i feel better now that i no wats goin on! got me a bit worried! cheers for the help.

nick

its because if you removed the standard airbox and put an induction kit on you've just opened up for the noise to come out. the car would have always made that noise, the IK just made it hearable

if its in the standard location, then the cone filter will actually be doing far worse than the stock airbox, just sucking in lovely warm air :/

unless you're relocating it, stick with the airbox.

if its in the standard location, then the cone filter will actually be doing far worse than the stock airbox, just sucking in lovely warm air :/

unless you're relocating it, stick with the airbox.

ive taken the standard box out and put the k&n at the front of the engine. d you rekn thats ok?

if you have an adjustable bov, like the blitz dual drive or supersound, hks maybe, the sard bov's etc you should be able to adjust the spring tension so it doesnt chatter.

its where the bov isnt opening soon enough , and the air is rushing back through the turbo the opposite way. <-- like the other lads have said.

if people have said its wastegate chatter, its not before you think it is.

its purely turbo stall.

try adjusting the bov so its a softer spring tension, which would open easier and thus releasing the pressure rather than the only place for it is through the turbo and the sound comming out of the air filter.

ok. my bov is just a cheap one. mite splash out on a blitz or hks ssqv aint sure. i have made the spring softer but the chatter seems quieter just goes on a bit longer? its better though. cars just a bit anoying though cuz everytime i ease off the throttle it dumps! i like the sound but can get a bit anoying after a while!lol!

its smoking alot to? only since the decat though? and seems to be drinking fuel? i think thers summin wrong with it, or im just paranoid? gone a bit slugish or im just used to it?

they all smoke slightly more with a decat, theres nothing restricting the exhaust gasses so there flowing easier.

only worry if it smokes exessively on boost / under acceleration,

or its pissing oily blue/white smoke out on idle.. and i mean PISSING it out.

all turbos smoke to an extent, especially starbos more than any other. :(

NIck,

If you've run the filter out through the side opening of the radiator etc then the noise will be louder still as there is less distance for the sound to travel of the air hitting the blades. Don't worry about it at all, infact..I was trying to get that sound on the ep and running the filter through the front bumper makes it very loud indeed ;)

I also have a Blitz BOV that dumps at higher boost pressures but that chatter sound is sexier than something very sexy indeed.

or dont run a bov, they're chuffing annoying, i run my stock one now as i enjoy the peace and quiet, absolutely detest the sound of bov's these days as every chav and his uncle have them. although, i do drive like 60miles+ a day in it, so anything untowards will get annoying VERY quickly. ;)