Well its about time i started my own build thread for a car. Picked up this little beauty at auction for £500 (plus 100 for fees) Was absolutley buzzing when i heard id got it for that price. Jus a little over 80k on the clock, dealer service history till about 2005 then independant services with receipts bulging out of a folder. It had been taken care of so well, kinda :/ Mechanically the car is spot on, just needs an alternator changing but im so tight and lazy i havent done it yet! Then i started looking closely with my not so professional panel beaters eye, at various points in its life its had paintwork on most of the panels therefore been left with nasty masking edges in places, but thats only cuz im anal and its had a door skin on the drivers side which is starting to rot through. But im totally loving the starlet experience, never fails to light my face up when i launch it into a roundabout.

Anyway, The day i picked her up, with my mates 182

207365_10150147006416525_590286524_6863588_2718845_n.jpg

I soon inherited a Vauxhall Astra front splitter, and borrowed a couple of cans of toyotas finest 1eo from our aerosol cupboard and larried up my wheels, which look fantastic.

2011-08-30074307.jpg

The pics really dont do the colour of the wheels justice, theyre a real dark grey with a dark green sparkle to them in the sunlight. Shame summer has just ended so i cant really enjoy cleaning them :)

2011-10-13170532.jpg

2011-10-13170132.jpg

Oh and id like to keep the JDM authenticity of it so ill be keeping the orange indicators, but there will be small cheap mods coming in the next few months.

Hope yous all like :)

lol I agree about the roundabout thing, changing direction quick makes you feeling like your trying to navigate a doubledecker.

Splitter looks cool

I'm umming anf erring about a front splitter for mine, i got an unvented laguna 1 but not to my taste tbh.

(if anyone wants it they can have it for free +postage)

check out chuechters build, the lip he has put on his looks beautiful :)

Aww shucks :( Thanks man ;)

Yeah mine came off a Proton Wira, If you can find one about the local scrappy's. It needed cut down a bit and the end pieces re-bonded on etc to make it fit but with a bit of time and effort, it can be made to fit really well and does look awesome if I do say so myself lol.

• 1 month later...

Not really a real update :) mainly cuz i cant afford much, my alternators been on its way out for a few months and sounds like I've got a supercharger, but thatll be sorted after chrimbo, and hopefully a few little bits but all depending on fundage!

Anyway, went to our local woods at the weekend for a shoot and i posted a pic on the FB page the other day and said id post some more but my internet was being sucky so ill post em on here.

Enjoy!

DSCF2346.jpg

DSCF2343.jpg

DSCF2340.jpg

DSCF2301.jpg

DSCF2308.jpg

When i had my NA starlet my alternator was bust it used to squeel at high rpm, used to be my fake turbo noise yeeeeaaaaaahhhhhh boi! :) . Very nice clean car at the price too!

I tell people it's my supercharger haha!

Where bouts in lincolnshire you from mate, looks a bit like snipe dales near me?

Would be a good guess considering all you can really see is trees lol

That's Bourne woods pal, I'm not far from Peterborough and sleaford.

When i had my NA starlet my alternator was bust it used to squeel at high rpm, used to be my fake turbo noise yeeeeaaaaaahhhhhh boi! :) . Very nice clean car at the price too!

I tell people it's my supercharger haha!

Where bouts in lincolnshire you from mate, looks a bit like snipe dales near me?

Would be a good guess considering all you can really see is trees lol

That's Bourne woods pal, I'm not far from Peterborough and sleaford.

yeah as liam said, TTE splitters are impossible to find, i know of 3 in total

keep loooking there are a few more i know of 5 :)

alternator sounds like bearings mine did similar they can be rebuilt with new bearing and bushes any electro diesel type place can usually do them for a good price compared to a new one as the quite expensive! :p

nice car by the way but i am biased!

keep loooking there are a few more i know of 5 :)

alternator sounds like bearings mine did similar they can be rebuilt with new bearing and bushes any electro diesel type place can usually do them for a good price compared to a new one as the quite expensive! :p

nice car by the way but i am biased!

I think if i ever change it ill try and make one of my own to fit, i did try and get a quote from a place to rebuild my alternator as i thort it would be cheaper but i need my car everyday and they needed the alternator off to have a look at then order the parts blah blah blah, so i think ill have to pay the extra just to keep her on the road!

• 3 months later...

UPDATE: Well its been a while but things have been tight for me lately, I've only just managed to keep it on the road, but on top of keeping it serviced and putting right the things that had gone wrong i had some pleb who thought it would be a fantastic idea to reverse into my little baby. Transit Minibus rear step straight through my number plate and front grille. Its bent the front panel and the front rad. I was pretty devastated for about an hour. But she has owned up and offered to pay for everything. So remix bumper will be getting ordered.

Watch This space!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey im new to this forum and first one i have joined so sorry if i have posted this in wrong section. By the way i like your SR. ;)

The reason why im posting is because im looking at getting a SR, it be my first car and im 20 years old, been driving my dads car for a year also have clean licence, so I'm hoping the insurance wont be to bad. Done a few quotes and and the lowest i can find is £1346, i heard that sky insurance is a good one to go to but not had a quote from them yet.

I have always liked the starlets so i be really chuffed if my first car was a SR. ^_^ I would find it helpful if someone would kindly give me any tips if the SR is a good one to go for as it be a first car, I just want a bit more info of the SR basically. hoping on getting one in June!

Thanks in advance, Sam.

• 4 weeks later...

Well failed my MOT on a snapped coil spring the other week, dont know how i didnt notice as i spent a week going over it with a fine tooth comb, fitted me some new rear wheel bearings aswell. But after receiving a quote at £75 for a single front spring from toyota as i didnt have time to mess around with sourcing one cheaper i decided to bite the bullet and go all out on a set of Tein S-Techs, dropping it a healthy few more mm's.

Coming to decision time now though... Do i keep throwing money at this SR and make it an absolute minter and drop an FTE in it when the engine dies or do i just keep this on the road for another year and save for a glanza?

Seriously cant make my mind up!

• 2 months later...

Well, exciting stuff since my last post, mainly involving money, smiles and curse words.

As i said in my previous post i got my self some Tein lowering springs.

Then i decided to give my wheels a tasty green lip in some sort of rover green, which was the closest to the green on the SR sticker.

IMG-20120511-WA0002.jpg

Then on my way to japfest my bottom crank pulley sheared the bolt off, i didnt realise for another 30 or so miles till i slowed for a roundabout and heard a loud bang which was the pulley hitting the underside. So that was a sad finish for the let and a 100-odd quid recovery bill to get home :(

So i sorted that and replaced that with a fensport lightweight one in at over 100 quid cheaper( And lighter ;)) than a genuine one.

Soon followed a set of Rainsport 2's on the front

And to finish things off tonight I've just been informed of alot of smoke coming out of my exhaust and now noticing my oil has dropped quarter since i topped it up last thursday :( :(

Just a little pic whoring to cheer me up

IMG-20120417-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20120522-WA0007.jpg

• 5 months later...

Well the SR has been nothing but a dirty daily for past few months, picked myself up a new engine with a little over 44k on it, thats going in spring time. possibly looking for a glanza inlet and some sort of backbox. But tonight my speedlines are coming off to get prepped. I want to paint them graphite. Anyone got any pics of some nice ones theyve done in the past?