idle problem reving to high?

Hello guys my glanza is idleing prity high as if the choke is staying on?..its idleing around 1200rpm even when the cars up to temp..If i go for a long drive then pull over to let it cool down it idles at 1200rpm then after around 5min orr so it works its way down to 950rpm (sometime below)..Now im not sure if its the idle controll valve? orr the throttle position sensor?

Also i've noticed my temp gauge in the car go's right down to the C when im driveing and then go's up to the half way point with the fans off in the car but if i have the fans on in the car it only go's quarter of the way up? madness :) Could this have anything to do with the idleing? orr have i got 2 sensors fucked? 1 been the throttle position sensor orr idle controll valve and the temp gauge problem been another sensor lol but which one?

Have you tried adjusting the idle with the screw? If that does nothing its more than likely a vacume leak, it will idle unusually high if you have a leak somewhere. You need to check all the pipes coming off the intake manifold at the back, you have got about half a dozen vacume pipes, take each one off and put your thumb over it to test its ok.

I'll bet my money its that ;)

Hello guys my glanza is idleing prity high as if the choke is staying on?..its idleing around 1200rpm even when the cars up to temp..If i go for a long drive then pull over to let it cool down it idles at 1200rpm then after around 5min orr so it works its way down to 950rpm (sometime below)..Now im not sure if its the idle controll valve? orr the throttle position sensor?

Also i've noticed my temp gauge in the car go's right down to the C when im driveing and then go's up to the half way point with the fans off in the car but if i have the fans on in the car it only go's quarter of the way up? madness :) Could this have anything to do with the idleing? orr have i got 2 sensors fucked? 1 been the throttle position sensor orr idle controll valve and the temp gauge problem been another sensor lol but which one?

Yeah i've adjusted the idle screw on the tb but it hasnt done anything realy its till wanting to rev higher then what i set it on the tb..As for leaks i've had a good look about and cant see/hear anything also if it was a leak it would stay at a certain rpm, were as mine settles back down to 950rpm after 5min sat stationary then it will work its way back up to 1200rpm after abit longer its pissing me right off lol

Also when its idleing high the smell of Vpower is unreal as if the coke is stook on? im thinking its the TB my self as there is a thrmovalve inside the tb witch the water warms up and if thats not working it wont shut the choke off..thats my gess anyway lol just dont want to buy one thing to buy another thing lol

Sounds to me like the thermostat is stuck open causing the car to run on a constant cold start map. Obviously when the cars at a standstill its getting no cooling air, yet when at standstill the heat can build up. £10 and a 10 min job! Hope this helps

D

Well i've been thinking this my self just wasnt sure if that would course the car to idle? you would think even though the thermostat is stook open the rest of the sensors on the car would work out when to turn the choke off if you get me?...For the sake of £10 i might buy one and see how i get on...Cheers for that D mate :)

i been having some idle issues after cars been took out for a good drive and it gets restarted. changed thermo for an unrelated issue and didnt change anything. when it was geting maped they were playing around with tps and idle control valve and didnt seem to a be a prob with that. done a bit of browsing and i think for me its prob gonna be the coolant tempt sensor as this can cause it to act funny with revs and will make it overfuel cause its trying to cold start when the engines up to temp. so might be worth taking a look at the tempt sensor to

Well i've been thinking this my self just wasnt sure if that would course the car to idle? you would think even though the thermostat is stook open the rest of the sensors on the car would work out when to turn the choke off if you get me?...For the sake of £10 i might buy one and see how i get on...Cheers for that D mate :)

Yeah it would. If it senses the car is cold it'll run on the cold map till it notices a temp change. And nah. Its silly how it works. Mine did it the other day, always leave mine to warm up before driving. Car just wouldnt get upto temp and it was running really rich. Decided to nip to motor factors for a thermostat, swapped it there and then. Drove home by which time the temp had gone back to usual and the rich smell had gone. If that doesnt cure it then i'd look at the coolant temp sensor. Doesnt sound as if its anything icv related as the idle would fluctuate, if it was tps related then you'd experience hesitation under load and starting issues.

Try the thermostat and let us know how you get on.

D

When i got my GT it did exactly the same as this. idle was about 1200rpm, temp dropped to cold as soon as i drove it, but when just sat with it ticking over it slowly got up to temp and the idle dropped a bit.

Turned out the thermostat was stuck open, idle control valve and sensors were all fine was just the thermostat.

£20 off ebay or £10 from euro car parts and it only takes like 5 mins ;) i would definitely try changing the thermostat before doing anything with the sensors or idle control valve :)

Well took the old thermostat out today and had a look at it and stright away i noticed the rubber seal near the springs has blow out on one side alowing water to flow through all the time...So got my self a new thermostat put it in started the car up let it warm up for about 10min and took it for a spin and gess what my temp gauge is now half way and also my car is ticking over like a dream no more ideling :) So big thanks to D and funny onion for you info :)