My EP70 has developed an engine fault, help please (vid inside)

I noticed the other day that the engine note on my car at low revs had changed slightly and although it drives and idles ok and doesnt misfire, its definelty changed.

I also noticed that i was getting oil spray on my rocker cover from my breather. Reving the engine you can noticeably see vapour coming out of my breather and also the oil cap if you opened it, there also seemed to a be a significant amount of airflow coming out of it too.

I have made a video to show

[media]http://youtu.be/87J3eKxsE_w

That sqeek is my oilcooler by the way dont worry about that, its just resonating on my grille :p

This couldnt have come at a worse time!

There is also an exhaust smell in the cabin when i am on boost.

Piston compression check resulted in

1.:175 Psi

2. 179 Psi

3. 118 Psi

4. 179 Psi

The engine was in good condition but somthing is obviously going on with cylinder 3, does anyone think this could be head gasket or a piston ring problem. I need advice, car isnt overheating or showing any of the usual head gasket problems i.e system isnt pressureising etc.

I also put oil in number 3 and craked it over and psi went up to about 155 psi, i am thinking somehow i have cracked a ring, the car has overboosted a couple of times while i was having problems with my actuator briefly. Can overboosting break piston rings?

This is a big ballache to fix, i had suspected a piston ring. At least i seem to have caught it without any obvious major damage so far, i am hoping to just take it out (AGAIN!) and just put a new set of rings on.

I want to know whats caused it though, could the previous boost spiking have done it, there were a couple of times when i seen boost spike to 1.5 bar briefly when my actuator failed. It was only for a few secconds but i guess that may have goosed it!

cracked ringland.... id bet a tenner on it taggy mate... :(

smoke/oil out of breathers is cus the bang inside the cylinder is pressuring past the crack and getting into the oil system...

It'll be missfiring and smoke too...

the air you feel is actually the pressure from the explosion in the cylinder...

Wont be headgasket....

will be cracked piston or ring... 100%

Engine Blow-by

• Engine blow-by is a condition that results from engine combustion gases blowing past a blown piston ring and entering the engine head area, where these combustion gases can be visibly seen exiting the engine oil crankcase filler hole or even the carburetor throttle body opening. Engine blow-by is routinely noted during a normal vehicle engine tune-up or some other type of routine vehicle maintenance.

Rough Engine Idle

• Due to the engine combustion gases that escape past a blown piston ring, it is common for a vehicle engine with a blown piston ring to idle roughly or erratically. This rough engine idle is due to the loss of engine compression that results from the blown piston ring. The more engine cylinders that have a blown piston ring, the rougher the engine idle will be.

yeah its weird the car is still running completly normal, you wouldnt notice if you didnt look at the breather, so i think there is a very minor crack which is why its still running.

This was an engine repair that i did not expect, i need to get this done before bloody japfest too!

Yeah i guess you have to factor the age in, i didnt think about it. I guess unless you do a fresh rebuild this is what can happen.

I have got a bit of a dilema now as this has caught me in the middle of stripping my 5e getting it ready to go in the ep70, only problem was that i wasnt expecting to do this until winter!!

I have now got four options which i can do at the moment for japfest

1. Take my 4e engine out strip it, replace the rings on all 4 pistons, put it back in.

2. Buy Ollies spare 4e engine and just transplant that and then rebuild mine and sell it later on

3. Finish the 5e conversion and put that in with standard internals

4. Finish the 5e conversion and forge it and put that back in.

Hmm dunno what to do, i want to do the 5e conversion but its a bit close to japfest to be fucking about and will also have to run it in, but then again if im stripping it anyway argghghgh i dunno what to do!!

What do you reckon?

Yeah i will get it done in time, there is no way i am missing japfest again!! its just what option above do i do if its coming out again.

:( :( :(

Will you have it sorted in time?