Race Spec Cam Cover

Ive never run one on mine. Running 1.4Bar on TD04. Nobody mentioned anything with not running one when it was getting mapped, so cant be bad.

On the other hand, I want one because they're pretty sexy!!

Ive never run one on mine. Running 1.4Bar on TD04. Nobody mentioned anything with not running one when it was getting mapped, so cant be bad.

On the other hand, I want one because they're pretty sexy!!

Hope to be running a similar set up, so good to hear :)

John

We have extensively monitored crank case pressure on the dyno. I'd strongly advise you run one, it depends on the engine, the clearances, the power etc etc.

Something not many people know is breather setups gain HP, and more than you might think. The cross sectional area of the bottom of a 4efte piston is approx 43cm^2. x 4 this is 172cm^2.

Lets say you had a huge breather issue and the car had 1 bar crank case pressure. Thats 172kg's of force acting against the pistons every single rotation of the engine. At 6000rpm's thats 100 x per second. So even 0.01 bar would result in 172kg's per second acting against the pistons. Again 0.01bar is at the other extreme.

Improve the engines breathing capabilities...

Stock setup has 2 small breathers. The PCV valve also closes completely when on boost...

This is fine for 130bhp but for 250bhp+ Im suprised your not running one yet Jamie!

We have extensively monitored crank case pressure on the dyno. I'd strongly advise you run one, it depends on the engine, the clearances, the power etc etc.

Something not many people know is breather setups gain HP, and more than you might think. The cross sectional area of the bottom of a 4efte piston is approx 43cm^2. x 4 this is 172cm^2.

Lets say you had a huge breather issue and the car had 1 bar crank case pressure. Thats 172kg's of force acting against the pistons every single rotation of the engine. At 6000rpm's thats 100 x per second. So even 0.01 bar would result in 172kg's per second acting against the pistons. Again 0.01bar is at the other extreme.

Thanks for the input :)

John

• 3 weeks later...

Been running my forged lump for 5years done over 10k miles. never used a "race spec cover" just a breather on top. last time i had the engine apart for upgrades it was as mint as the day i got her. tollerences are all spot on. no undue stress apears to of happened. but as ricky said maybe it depwnds on spec and build??

I thought crank case pressure would help to dampen the impact from a power stroke. Plus if you want to go all out wouldn't you need the oil returns from the head porting for instance? Or even have the inside of the block polished to allow the oil to return to the sump quicker and allow the crank case pressure to dissipate? Also as two pistons go up two come down so the displacement is next to nothing in the bottom end any way? Obviously I know you will get a small ammount of blow by, raising the crank case pressure slightly.