checking shim measurments

hi can someone give me some advise for checking my shim adjustments correctly as i have an annoying tapping noise from the cylinder head area thanks. Also just to add the car gear is tensioned thanks.

With cam lobe up slide feeler guage under and measure the gap between the bottom of the lobe and top of the shim. off the top of my head i dont remeber the limits. im sure its in the tech section sumwhere.

• 2 weeks later...

i measured the shims today and this is what i got

INLET

1= 0.10mm

2= 0.15mm

3= 0.35mm

4= 0.10mm

5= 0.15mm

6= 0.25mm

7= 0.15mm

8= 0.10mm

EXHAUST

1= 0.35mm

2= 0.35mm

3= 0.30mm

4= 0.40mm

5= 0.40mm

6= 0.35mm

7= 0.40mm

8= 0.30mm

is there anything there that would cause the tapping sound ? cheers.

the 0.35-40mm may do it fella

not sure of the tolerances though.

another thing it could be, it on the inlet cam gear, theres a split in it, with the gear end of the cam facing you, twist the thinner outer section of the gear anti clockwise as much as it will go. i had this on mine when we put 5efhe cams in. did this and it went :)

cheers for your help mate i tensioned the inlet cam first and still have the rattle lol so i turned to checking the shim gaps il try and find the tolerances thanks again :thumbsup:

no worries, i did have them written somewhere, but not a clue where they've got too :/

EDIT: found the document, its got all the tolerances etc, except that one :/ lol. if you can wait until wednesday i can check it for you on auto data at college?

Think inlet is 15-25mm and exhuast is 30-40mm or some think like that so one or two are out. thats probs where you issue is bud. overall not badd but a few there that are gonna mess with valve clearence. get em swapped out as even if the tapping dont go the performance will improve ;)

Intake 15-25mm exhuast 31-41mm this is taken from chris over on tgtt he made the 4efte engine assembley videos and has been building forged engines in greece for longer than most have known about starlets. these are the tollerences my engine is shimmed to as are many many others.

Hmmmmmm. fist i appolagise. as im not afraid to admit when im in the wrong. i would guess that running the 5efe specs is going to cuase premature closing of the valves and take away power from all over the rev range. Im gonna pm chris and get some input for this thread. as im now curious as to why he builds to 5efe shim tollerence. id also like to know wich will give the best results.

i only found that out when i was searching tgtt for valve clearances when i was building my engine, i thought all 5e and 4e clearances were the same, maybe worth giving Texx on tgtt a pm too, thats where i got all the info from.

Ok cool ill pm him too bud as i think we need a clear answer as to what the effects are from the two different clearences. as the jdm would be the sensible bet but i want to know now if theres a reason some are using 5efe and if they are just mistaken or know something we dont.

Edit: both texx and 350ep70r have been pm'd to get more input as to why/what the ill efects could be or if theres a benifit at all. ill post up as soon as i get a reply guys ;)

Edited by shorty

Ok cool ill pm him too bud as i think we need a clear answer as to what the effects are from the two different clearences. as the jdm would be the sensible bet but i want to know now if theres a reason some are using 5efe and if they are just mistaken or know something we dont.

Edit: both texx and 350ep70r have been pm'd to get more input as to why/what the ill efects could be or if theres a benifit at all. ill post up as soon as i get a reply guys ;)

did anyone get back to u about this mate?