Hello from possible EP91 owner :)

Hi there!

Firstly, I am terribly sorry for my funny English writing skills as it's not my first language :)

I'm living in brilliant Worcestershire and I'm a fairly new driver and quite happy owner of N15 Almera 1.4, which I did a lot of DIY modifying to with no budget available (like Hammerite + roller paintjob etc.) :D Because I'm fairly young and just got my license everything I rather like is way too expensive for me to insure, except the car I have got now and... an EP91 :)

I would gladly stick to my N15 but I think modding and maintaining it is way out of my budget. Mainly because only sensible power mod is swapping an SR20DE into it (which means I have bend over and lube up for my insurance company). My car also is a rust bucket. It has got it's MOT due in September and I really doubt it will pass it (however filler foam and fiberglass can do wonders apparently haha).

So I thought I might get myself a proper granny spec Starlet Sportif and build small pocket-rocket, N/A B road blaster, go-kart thing :) What I really like from what I figured about Starlet's and 4EFE is that there's a lot of parts you can use from different Toyotas like cams or even whole head from 5efe, Intake mani from Corolla etc. etc. Also 4EFE is the top N/A lump that came in Starlets which means there will be no looking up all the time (well except 4efte ofc ;) ) to the stuff I can't have. What I also like is that it weights mare 800kg range full loaded which means it might go sub 700kg with decent diet, am I right? The stuff I heard about the that worried me is that apparently their week point is supsension and steering feel. Is that right?

Also how are they to live with? It would be my daily driver for now so I just would like to have an idea what am I about to sign myself up for lol. Are they prone to rust much (like my Nissan)? How available are aftermarket parts for them? How do they take their milege, do I have to be bothered about that much or will anything below 150k do?

Sorry for all those questions, I just want to clear my mind up a bit, because since I was chased down by something that looked like Glanza (could be Glanza or a rep or something) and sounded immense especially with it's cheeky '1.3 inside' sticker, I just really fancy an EP91 :D :D :D

Thank you for all the answers in advance and hi to all once again,

Tom :)

Edited by mambo

Welcome!:) get some pics up!

I love my Glanza to peices!! Loved owning it, just wish I had more budget to get all the parts id want :)

The list is endless for parts you can get for the starlet..and they aren't that hard to find if you look hard enough! Someone on here usually knows where to find what your looking for.

Welcome!

EP91 NAs are a great, cheap to run daily driver. The engines are potent enough for what they are, Corolla/FTE inlet manifold, panel filter and exhaust will see about 90ish bhp/torque

Steering and Suspension isn't great yes, but some simple upgrades can change it into a really fun to drive car. Basic mods that give good bang for buck are:

-GT/Glanza front brace

-Rear upper brace

-Polybushed OEM Front ARB

-Whiteline Anti-lift/Castor kit

-Whiteline Rear ARB

-15" wheels with good tyres (Uniroyal Rainsport 2s)

I ran the above setup for a few years and it was great fun to drive but the ride was shocking on 40mm springs and the OEM shocks (that were not replaced and were probably due for a change). Bought some Meister R Coilovers and a Whiteline Front ARB too recently and the car handles sooo much better, the coilies are well worth the money if you can afford them!

Hope that helps

Ok, this is the mighty Almera called Mr.Scruffy :)

85BHP and 1200kg :(

YO6K9088.jpg

Well all mods would have to be done very slowly in my case as I'm not really loaded with money. However Starlet seems like a car that I would love to hold on to, I love the sleeper factor about it and maybe it won't get a classic status like Civic or Integra but it's a brilliant alternative.

I think the power figure I'm looking for is about 100bhp N/A. I don't really need much more, especially with such a featherlight chassis. So you say it's definitely possible then isn't it? I guess it would need cams and remap too except intake mani and worked exhaust huh?

Still should I go for it? How is Starlet everyday? I do sometimes need to travel on motorway, possibly even an odd trip abroad might occur.

Is there any of you folks living around Worcester, so I could pop in and have a closer look on one (didn't mean to sound dodgy, lol)? :)

Edited by mambo

100bhp might be possible with an FTE inlet manifold and throttle body, with 5efhe cams, exhaust etc speak to Ryan Lang or Joel ep91 they did quite a bit on their 4efes

My '91 is fine on the mway, just a bit noisy but that's because I have a straight through exhaust lol. It holds 70mph+ fine

its very unlikely to make 100bhp on the standard ecu as it just doesnt cater to fuel above 90 very well at all.

i would of loved to have mine dyno'd once it was running right, but it was overfuelling like crazy the day i got it dyno'd and it kind of drowned out the power, by the time we had sorted the fuelling issue it was too late to put it back on :(

it wont be cheap to get it too 100bhp though fella. it would probably be more cost effective to just put the 4efte in

i spent thousands on mine heres the spec list i was aiming at and the rough prices

4efte ported head £300+

4efte uprated vlalve springs £100

5efhe cams (if you can find some) are rare so carry a big price tag

glanza inlet and TB £70

OBX racing manifold £200

full exhaust system to match, another £300

SARD low temp thermo £100

civic rad £90

lightened flywheel £150?

SARD adjustable fuel pressure regulator £150?

Corolla injectors £30-40?

decent clutch £150?

there is more but i cant think off the top of my head

and for any of this to even matter, you'll need an aftermarket ecu and mapping, which will set you back around £500+

so it isnt really worth it tbf :/ you'll be better off buying a crash damaged glanza for around £600-700 and just turbo converting yours using the parts off it :)

any questions though just ask :)

no, never got the head upgrade running right as the valve stem seals werent seated properly. japfest 2 was the best it ever drove, and the head was done after that. then we put the old head back on and that went too :( lol. and then the oil rings :/ so i put a new engine in it, and stripped it about a month or so later lol

I think 90bhp is still fine. I don't mind spending that much money if I can spread it in time. I think it will fly down my local touges nicely anyway with that much power. I mean, the mods I always wanted to do is ITBs and sport suspension. I don't really have to go faster than someone, I just want it to be a small, reliable, fun car :)

id definitely recommend saving for some meister coilovers then bud, along with front and rear struts :)

to get it to go well on the cheap id go for a glanza inlet and TB, a corolla 4 branch cast mani with a full exhaust system to start with then dude :) then id go onto a lightened flywheel with better clutch :)

cheers :) i think i would start off with some shorter springs over stock shocks... jumpy but low :D then i would probably save some money for some better wheels. i think that changing wheels and tyres from standart steelies to gti ones in my almera was the best mod i ever did. the difference in handling was just unreal. visual wise i would just put megane splitter on and some rear spoiler and that's it :) pov spec sleeper all the way :) i would also strip it out in the back.

will see but i reall fancy a starlet now :D

• 3 weeks later...