I'm new to tuning and need help with my N/A

Hi all :) Last year my dad bought me a 1996 ep91 N/A, immaculate with 50k on the clock and FSH.

As of yet I still cant afford to insure it so he's running it until I can get a job.

anyway, I really want to get some more power out of the standard 4EFE engine and have a general idea of the mods i want to do:

- corolla manifold

- corolla throttle body

- corolla ecu

- K&N panel filter

- iridium spark plugs

- decat and a generic universal back box

after much searching i found a corolla mani at a bargain price, the same as this one:carpics011.jpg

do i need to change injectors? anything that im missing or is it just a case of bolting it all on and setting it up right?

any help would be much appreciated :)

Cheers, Pinske.

only the gen1 corrolla had the larger tb (acording to what i have read on the web). even then std tb is rated to 130bhp

the 4efte has a larger throttle body, but with that you need the throttle possition sensor which is adjustable and this is suspected to give a slightly different voltage than the std.

other mods youve said is good.

i will hopefully be trying the corolla ecu soon, but the apparently needs the engine loom and a few sensors swaping, dont have any more info than that.

diddnt see the insurance bit lol. std power will be plenty to get used to first, but the list you have is what you should be looking at.

Edited by LukeH

Not sure if the corolla ecu will work as its basically the same engine anyway, from learning about some of the n/a tuning its expensive! Ecu wise is best to try a emanage with a proper map for the car with mods and should help it better!

Best things to get are a fte throttle body and manifold but it may need slight adjustment for n/a purposes! A 4-1 manifold which you can buy from the states but its for a 5efe can't remember the brand but search about on the forum and you will find info, a 2 inch exhaust system with a decat as this is a good mix for back pressure and also power, you can try get 5efhe cams but there quite hard to get!

To be honest have a look at enzo's ep82 for n/a tuning as he has probs the best setup but remembering he has a jdm 1st gen 4efe which produces about 100bhp as standard and rev to 7k! Great engines to drive with a close ratio box!

Hope this was some help to you and hope I aint went on too long!

Edited by BigMan

Best going for the fte manifold and throttle body thats what i had on my n/a also as said above a 2"-2.25" exhaust and im sure i seen a manifold on here for sale not long ago have a look through the for sale section

And get decent spark plugs and leads

Thats the best things to do before you start spending alot of money!

thanks for all the help guys, yeah i was looking at enzo's ep82. thats where i got the idea from as ive driven mine already and it was nippy but lacked in high RPM. ill stick the manifold on and a larger throttle body as they seem to be cheap enough and then just go from there i think :)

thanks for all the help guys, yeah i was looking at enzo's ep82. thats where i got the idea from as ive driven mine already and it was nippy but lacked in high RPM. ill stick the manifold on and a larger throttle body as they seem to be cheap enough and then just go from there i think :)

if your loooking for a wide torque band and better throttle responce and low rev driveability go for the corrolla inlet mani, if your looking for better top end power and no flat spot up top then go for the fte mani and tb. should get you close to 100 ponys

if i were you though id source a 5efe and get that fitted with the mods mentioned already, these are cheap if you can find them and id fit it for you for 150, it would take a day to do and i stay about an hourish away from you.

@Enzo, sounds good but im gonna stick with the 4efe. I can fit a 5E easy enough myself (qualified mechanic) although i havent really worked on a car in atleast a year haha. ideally looking for the 100hp mark which is plenty :) then do something mad next year when ive got the cash and spare time. the mani i bought was off a ae111 corolla levin, ive read around and this seems to be the best one to get. ill get it all fitted and might do a cheeky build thread :)

cheers

@ryan lang: cheers man, ill have a look about now at prices etc. also just had a look through your build thread and your starlet is sick! hopefully i'll have an EP that nice one day :p

One of the best Setups out of a standard P9 is from the German User starmotion. You should search for him on here. I think he has a thread going (I'm reading his thread in the German Starlet-Club forum)