5e running like a complete bag of spanners

Ok so my happiness was short lived, turns out when i actually try to rev the engine or move the car under its own power its a spluttering mess.

It starts straight away on turn of the key, but when you give it any throttle there is a massive hesitation of about half a seccond which bogs the car to the point it nearly cuts out, then it revs up but really spluttery and does this yo yo thing where its like the throttle is being turned off and on, its not hunting, it really is like revs, no power, revs, no pwer Its weird its not a misfire so i am confused! Its obviously electronic but not sure what could cause this.

I just checked the timing as thats fine, has anyone seen this type of erratic engine behaviour before? I need to run through some checks and need suggestions.

Edited by Taggy

Check the TPS. It should probably read close all the time, so when you pass 1500rpm (or whatever rpm is the deceleration fuel cut for your ecu) it will cut all power to injectors and as soon as it will reach ~1100 it will again start firring them.

If you have a wideband, it should be obvious, when rpms drop, there should be no or extremely lean reading.

Unplug the tps and check again.

Also check for vacuum leaks.

Finally when it's cold, it shouldn't do it for the first lets say 30-60 seconds.

I cant check the afr until its on the rolling road, but it doesnt even rev properly at the moment, tank is full! My TPS is knackered though, all the contacts are bent inside fromwhen it got clobbered fitting the engine, i have unplugged it but its made no difference to the current engine behaviour.

Mine was running off the scale lean on the 4e management so make sure you check you afrs. Sounds stupid but have you got enough fuel in the tank??

Edited by Taggy

Somthing to do with the throttle position must be fucked as that what its acting like, as soon you touch the throttle it turns the fuel off to the injectors by the sounds of it then turns it back on and goes on and off.

New TPS is it then first :)

Get in!!! Its fixed :p Turns out it WAS the TPS (throttle position sensor) which was defective. Thank you kindly to James for giving me one for free. It brought a big smile to my face, just took it up the road and back and its totally sorted.

Now to get down the garage tomorrow morning to get the exhaust fitted properly, bit nervous driving it the 15 miles to get there as its the first time it will have been driven and its also needs it initial run in. So i dont get much of a chance to check for leaks etc, might stop every couple of miles to check it!