What is the Advantage of using a thicker Head Gasket?

as the piston comes up to compression its squashes the fuel and air more into the center of the piston giving a more even burn when its ignited, or in the 4e heads it puts most of the power on the inlet side of the piston which is why you always find the ring lands have cracked on the side the valve cut out are. A thicker head gasket will let you run more boost but will most likely give you less reliability and reduced performance compared to a engine built on tolanrances, but if your after a buget build then yeh go for it. it been done before with little to no problems.

Does that mean that using a thicker gasket will reduce the chances of the ringlands going, because the quench pads arent focusing the power on the inlet side as much?

No, it's to do with the shape of the pistons, they are cut out for where the valves go, but flat on the other side. Google "4EFTE pistons" and you'll see.

You could say that but its more like the burn becomes alot more unpredictable and can then put the power down on any part of the piston, be it even or consentrated at one point causing hot spots. The smother and more controlled the burn you get the better and smother power delivery your going to get, which in turn gives you reliability. Ive seen alot of tuners producing Maps on engines which gives you nothing then everything! Which feels good when your showing your mates how fast your car is but the engine wont last long. The smother you can bring on that power delivery, even though you wont feel it as much the longer your engine will last and the more usable power you will make for longer in the rev range.

I'm not trying to put you off building an engine with what you've got but just trying to tell you its easy to make it work with what you've got, its what you want out of it at the end of the day and how lucky you maybe that something might not go wrong, you might be better aiming for a high compression low boost motor which could be more reliable and more responsive with a slightly larger turbo running only 5PSi than running a thicker headgasket to push more boost to actually make less usable power.

Same, its really making me think about how i want to go about things.

My plan was to run 1.2bar on a TD04, tuned on an SAFC. Do you think the stock gasket would be fine for this? As i dont want to sacrifice offboost/low down torque unless i have to.

Cheers

This is maxing out a standard fte, If your going to run td04 @ 1.2 bar don't use the N/A engine or get some fte pistons in it or even better forged pistons.

Who was you planning of mapping your motor?

Sorry I dont know what you mean about the pistons? My car is a Glanza V, so it doesnt have N/A engine, it is 4efte standard.

I have a wideband so was going to set it up myself, then take it to a dyno to have it checked.

Jeus presumed you were on an N/A which is why you were asking about a thicker headgasket lol. Fail.

No point in running less compression unless your after huge power and for that you would be on forged internals anyway. Standard headgasket and compression ratio is fine for TD04 @ 1.2bar

Edited by lukEp

I'm not sure as I don't tune but you have also got to put exhaust temperatures in to consideration as well, when tuning via a wideband you may get to your ideal AFR but you still might be running high EGT which would require a richer mixture to bring down them temps or back the timing off. But then if you run to rich you'll get bore wash which will wear out piston skirts and rings in no time.

It's not easy getting a happy medium and considerations like CR, air temp/turbo efficiency/type of fuel and quality, exhaust flow etc which is why the professionals can charge so much.... Even still they don't get it right sometimes and some make out to know what there doing and really don't have a clue.

Edited by lukEp